Chapter 58. Undisclosed Desires*

Chapter 58. Undisclosed Desires by Muse

Jean and Malachi had decided it would be best if they all returned together in the truck. Evan had not had enough to fill it by a long shot, and they turned it into a short adventure. All except Jean, Nathan and Hawk rode in the box of the moving van, laughing and struggling to keep their balance. Emil was not amused however, as every thought was one of worry for Evan and the baby, should Jean take a corner too fast.

"Relax, Emil. We all have a strap to hold onto, and you guys are all holding down the trunks. There is not a chance for me to get hurt," Evan chided, with a smile partially due to relief at being away from her home and partly due to having fun with others, something she so rarely had the opportunity to do.

"I should have insisted that you ride up front," Emil groused.

"Jean made a good point, Emil," Xavier said. "Evan is a target. It is actually safer for her back here, where no one can see her."

"Don't push it, friend," Emil growled. Xavier just chuckled, as he held a trunk in place, blocking it from sliding into Evan, as the truck bounced none too gently around a corner.

"Slow down!" Emil yelled out to Tourneau.

Evan heard the laughter coming from the cab of the truck. She was tucked tightly next to Emil, and he was not budging an inch with each bounce and swerve. She placed a hand on his jaw and pulled his face to her. "I'm always fine, as long as you're with me."

The truck pulled into the underground parking and no sooner was the engine cut off than Emil flung the rear door open, breaking the latch on the rolling door. He jumped from the back of the truck and began ranting at Tourneau.

"What kind of driving was that? You could have hurt Evan or the baby! Next time, I'm not going to listen to you, I'm just going to take her and keep her safe myself!" Emil yelled.

Tourneau's laughing face fell. Evan went to him and placed her hand lightly on his arm. She looked at Emil with sadness in her eyes. "Emil, I'm fine. Jean would not have hurt me. I'm not going anywhere, and I'm no longer so fragile. You can't lock me away in a tower to keep me safe. Please, I know you just want to protect me, but don't take it out on everyone else."

Emil struggled to reign in his emotions. He knew Evan was right, and this lashing out behavior was not like him. He said softly, "I'm sorry, Evan. Jean. This is so new to me, to have someone to worry over and feel responsible for. Please forgive me. I will try to do better."

Jean walked to where Emil was pacing near the rear tire of the truck. Reaching for his friend, he placed a reassuring hand on Emil's shoulder. Emil stopped his relentless pacing and looked into the face of his mentor. Jean pulled Emil into a one armed hug, and simply said, "I know."

Jean began walking toward the elevator; the others in the group followed him wordlessly. Evan and Emil stood for a moment longer, waiting for the elevator to close. Emil closed the distance to Evan in two steps and pulled her into his arms, his mouth meeting hers hungrily. When they parted momentarily, he whispered, "I'm sorry. I love you."

She silenced him with another kiss, drinking from him, trying to pull him closer to her. After a few moments, Evan drew back and said, "Take me to bed."

Eagerly, Emil scooped her into his arms and carried her to the now waiting elevator, and said with a wicked grin, "As My Lady commands."

Jean had sent the elevator back to the garage when the group had filed off into the halls. He knew Emil was struggling with the responsibilities he'd been given, but Jean knew that his protégé would succeed. It may take some trial and error, but if anyone could pull off all that was facing the vampires of the region, it was Emil. Of that he was sure. Turning to the others, he said, "Everyone take some time to relax. We have a daunting task ahead of us, and I want everyone well rested and focused for the objective tonight. I will see you all at noon."