Chapter 70. All I Wanted*

• Dedicated to Dr. Higgins, for enjoying vampire stories

Chapter 70. Guiding Light by Muse

"She is the human sitting on the couch in the living room," I explained, trying to staunch the flow of blood from the wound in Evan's belly. "Evan, sweetheart, I'll get you fixed up in no time. Then I will introduce you to your daughter." Evan's panicked eyes were fixed on the door. I did not understand why she was so drawn to Xavier.

Hawk stood next to the bed, holding the baby with ease, staring at Evan spread out on the bed.

"What are you looking at?" I asked him, irritated that he was ogling my wife.

"She lost a lot of blood."

"I know, that's fairly obvious. I can't do anything about it at this very moment, except keep her from losing more."

"Where did it all come from?" he asked me, his own irritation showing through.

I held another towel to the already soaked one that covered her. I glanced around the room, perfumed with blood. It all smelled like her, but I also picked up the scent of Jean's blood, Xavier's blood, and another scent that was distinctly human, but not like packaged human blood. Interrupting my thoughts, Xavier hurried to my side holding a silver roll of duct tape in his hands. I could not help but think of the irony of closing my love's belly with duct tape, only days after she'd done the same for me.

"Xavier, I'm going to have you pull me off several strips. I need you to put the first one on while I hold her together."

He pulled an eight-inch strip free and placed it where I directed him, then I worked quickly, trying to stay ahead of her bleeding. When I was done, I looked up to Evan with a small smile that was dashed from my face as I saw she was not looking at me, or her daughter, but her eyes were glued to Xavier. Jealousy and rage welled up inside of me.

"What is going on here, Xavier?" I demanded.

Confused, he glanced from me to Evan laying on the bed, and the confusion was replaced with a goofy grin. This only stirred my ire more. Xavier made a move to go to Evan's side, but I placed a restraining hand on his chest, and forced him to look at me.

"What is this between you and Evan?" I pressed him for an answer.

"Nothing's going on between us, Emil. Evan just needs me," Xavier answered, pushing past me and going to my wife's side.

"The Hell she needs you!"

"Emil, stand down. Why don't you ask Evan?" Hawk said calmly, inserting himself between Xavier and me.

"What's going on, Evan?" I asked, unable to keep the hurt from my voice and eyes.

She started to open her mouth to speak, and all I could make out was, "Pain."

"I am able to help her with her pain, Emil. I share some of her healing gift, although not as profound as hers. Let me help her, please. I cannot stand to feel her pain," Xavier explained.

It took me a moment to register what he had said. "You can feel her pain?"

"It has been Hell tonight, Emil. I would not wish the agony Evan experienced tonight on anyone. I've done my best to share peace and comfort with her. That is something I could do when I felt the most helpless." As he shared this with me, he sat next to Evan and picked up her limp hand.

I could see the relief wash over her at his touch, making me feel more than inadequate. Looking away from her face, I noticed the disarray all around. It seemed two battles had been fought tonight, and this one seemed to have been the worse of them. I couldn't let Evan lay in the mess any longer. Our daughter was quiet at the moment, and I was not sure when I'd have another chance.