Chapter 62. Sleepyhead*

Chapter 62. Sleepyhead by Passion Pit

Evan had awakened when Nathan whistled outside her room. She continued to lie quietly in the bed where Emil had left her, knowing that no matter what she did from this moment on, she could not change anything that would happen that night. Instead of struggling from the bed to see her love off to battle, she stayed covered in the bed where Emil had last held her. As soon as she heard the door close after Emil, Evan counted the minutes in her mind then called out to Xavier.

"Xavier! I need you to help me up!"

A second later, Xavier rushed into her room with a comical look of panic on his face. He said, "What is it? Is it the baby?"

"You look like one of those men in an old movie, panicked that they might have to do something to help a woman through birth," Evan said, laughing. "And I'm not in labor, not yet anyway. I just need you to get me up so I can eat. You promised me some blood once Emil had left, remember?"

Xavier moved to lift Evan to her feet, but she shook her head. She said, "Just help me up. It's bad enough that Emil carries me around like a child, but I have to be able to get around on my own."

Reluctantly, Xavier instead just let Evan try to pull herself to her feet. He watched as she struggled to stand up straight, trying to ignore her little cries of pain. He could barely stand to touch her as she leaked her pain into him through their common gift. Evan could not stand up straight, as it shot pain through her hips and groin. Cradling her round belly, she started to shuffle forward, but each step caused stabs of pain down around her back and hips.

"This is ridiculous," Xavier said, ignoring her request and scooping her into his arms. "You need to feed. While I can respect your stubbornness, I will not stand by and watch you suffer."

Evan's protest died in her throat as her pain was relieved when she was no longer bearing weight. Xavier carried her back into the open living room and gently set her upon the couch where she had napped all afternoon. In the light from the kitchen, Xavier was alarmed at the dark circles under her eyes and the fine network of veins showing through her translucent skin.

"Thank you," Evan said meekly, her lashes fluttering against her cheeks.

Xavier looked up to see Nathan enter the hallway from Emil's office where he'd been faithfully watching the security monitors.

"Are you okay, Evan?" Nathan asked with a small voice. His face held a trace of uncertainty as he observed how Xavier was still holding Evan up with one arm.

Evan nodded and looked at the young vampire. She saw the look on his face and feebly pushed Xavier away. She did her best to sit up straight and answered, "I'm okay, Nathan. This baby is just making it really hard for me to get around. Xavier was only helping me. I tried to do it myself and just couldn't get from my bed out here to eat without my back hurting. I'm fine though. Do you want to get me some of that blood that Emil has in the warmer? You know just how I like it. Warm in a glass."

Nathan was only minimally appeased by Evan's answer, but went into the kitchen to do as she asked. He barely took his eyes from her and Xavier while he gathered the blood and glass she'd requested. Nathan did not think Xavier should be touching Evan so much. To himself, he thought, 'Emil wouldn't leave Xavier here if he didn't trust him. I should just get over it.'

Quickly pouring the warmed blood into the glass, he carried it to Evan and sat down next to her, situating himself between Xavier and Evan, just to make himself feel better.

Xavier picked up on Nathan's thoughts when Nathan pushed in between himself and Evan. With a small smile, he stood and backed away. For the young vampire's benefit, he said, "It looks like you can handle helping Evan just fine. Emil didn't need me to stay behind. I'm going to make my rounds. Just call out if you need anything. I'll come right away."