Chapter 51. Meet the Family*

Chapter 51. Uprising by Muse

While Evan and Emil were sequestered in the bedroom, Tourneau led the group that remained to the music room. It was the largest room in the apartment, and there were at least two doors between the lovers and the vampires' sensitive ears. He helped Hannah get Hawk settled on the sofa in the corner of the room.

"Hawk, just lie down. I know you don't have to, but at least it will feel like I've helped you in some way, mon cher," Tourneau said as he fussed over the injured Guardian, fluffing up a couple of pillows and pulling the throw up over the rough vampire.

Hawk tried to protest, but he only accomplished grunts and sloppy spitting. His mandible was growing closer together, but still did not provide proper framework for him to use his lips or tongue to form speech. With a frustrated cry, he pounded on the back of the couch, causing a crack to split the air as he crushed the frame. Sheepishly he tried to smooth out the white upholstery, ducking his head in shame.

"Don't worry, I believe our Emil will forgive you under the circumstances," Tourneau said, laying a reassuring hand upon Hawk's shoulder. Tourneau was surprised with the heat issuing from Hawk when their eyes met. Disconcerted, Tourneau drew back, directing his attention to the others in the room. Xavier, Malachi and Aiden were shifting uncomfortably just inside the door, not sure what they should do, and trying to block out the awkward scene in front of them and the sounds coming from the bedroom behind them.

Hannah had situated herself at the foot of the sofa where Hawk lay with his eyes now closed. She was stroking the black denim clad leg she had drawn over her lap. Tourneau looked for Nathan and found him inspecting the instruments lined so lovingly on the shelves around the majority of the walls.

"Nathan, do you fancy learning any of these instruments? Emil and I each play several, and could teach you," Tourneau said, grasping at this relatively safe topic, wanting to get his mind off the possibilities that had sprung to mind gazing into Hawk's eyes.

"Evan told me that Emil could probably teach me how to play guitar. I started electric guitar lessons before...well, you know. I always wanted to learn how to play the violin though. Do you think you might teach me that?" the boy vampire asked, stroking the fretwork of one of Tourneau's violins gently.

"You are a boy after my own heart! That is my favorite instrument of all. I would be delighted to show you. And Evan is correct, Emil is quite the accomplished guitarist," Tourneau declared.

Smiling, Nathan was thrilled to be able to please Tourneau. He had started thinking of Tourneau as a big brother. While Jean was strict with him, he also enjoyed teaching him about the vampire world, just like a big brother would do in real life, Nathan thought.

"We will do that later though. We need to take some time to familiarize ourselves with our new surroundings. You three, I want you to come with me. We are going to scope out your new living quarters. Nathan, please stay here with Hawk and Hannah, so you can help them if they need anything," Tourneau said to all of those around him, indicating Xavier, Malachi and Aiden would follow him.

"Yes, sir," Nathan answered, continuing to explore the instruments on display.

"Jean, we need to get more blood for Hawk. If he is to heal properly, he needs more," Hannah said in a concerned mother tone of voice.

"I understand that, Hannah. We will take care of our own. Don't worry. I'd like Evan to see if she might be able to help him in anyway, possibly surgically or something," Tourneau replied, running his eyes over the male vampire he had known to be a striking red head before his ghastly injury. Jean would not have thought that the gazes he'd been getting from Hawk would ever come his way. He thought he recalled Hawk having a lusty appetite for females not unlike Hannah. Shaking his head, Tourneau led the others back through the kitchen and living area, to the door.