Chapter 37. She Is...*

Chapter 37. She Is by the Fray

That afternoon, I took Evan home to my loft downtown. She was still in a great deal of pain, but we were able to get pain medicine for her to take at home. She was so weak I was able to carry her from my car to the bedroom without a single complaint from her. From the elevator to the bed, I noticed gray lines of strain around Evan's mouth, telling me that no matter how gentle I was, she was still in pain.

I told Evan I needed to call Tourneau, explaining to her that he was in town now and I had made plans for them to meet the night of her attack. She told me that she wished she could meet him, but did not want to meet him until her face healed. I thought she was being ridiculous. Tourneau loved a great drama, and I told her watching her emerge from her wounds would be like a butterfly emerging from a chrysalis. She had laughed at that, and then agreed to meet him, only if she could use that story. The pain medication helped her to fall asleep easily.

I lay down next to Evan on the bed and called my old friend as she slept.

"Tourneau, it's Emil. I am so sorry I have not called you. You are probably wondering what on earth happened to me," I said when he answered.

"Emil, nothing surprises me much anymore, but when I called the Brethren to see if they were to blame for our broken plans, I was surprised when they said you were not doing anything for them. What, my dear boy, kept you from the symphony? It was delightful!" Tourneau rambled.

"I was delayed by a damsel in distress," I said, feeding Tourneau's love of the dramatic.

"A belle mademoiselle? Do tell!"

I told him of Evan and how we met first, and then I told him of her misfortune. He reacted the way I expected. In the old days he was considered a dandy, but he always had been a fierce protector of young women. He was so angry, I was sure he would have reacted the way I had when I found her.

"My friend by now you realize she is human, non? I want you to meet her, and she wants to meet you, but I need to know if you will be able to control yourself around her. I will protect her to the death, you know," I told him, hoping he would heed the warning in my voice.

"My boy...Emil, I am thrilled beyond measure to hear of your love. I would never do anything to hurt you or her. Please trust me. I would love to meet your Evan. There is someone I would like you to meet as well, but I see that will have to wait for another time."

I told my friend how I had added an apartment in the building I owned in downtown Saint Louis, which was the reason I had not brought Evan to the farmhouse. I asked him to wait until the next day to come, as Evan was still too fragile for much more stimulation.

As Evan slept, the possibilities for the future played through my mind. My life was doomed for eternity, and I could not envision life without Evan. I wondered at the selfishness of wanting her with me forever, and remembered her disappointment with me for not changing her into a vampire. I was convinced she did not know what being immortal entailed, as there was no way to fully comprehend it until you were condemned. I thought perhaps I should take her on a hunting trip with me, to see if she understood fully. I knew she was intelligent, and that she said she understood, but seeing it and doing it were two very different things. Another part of me did not think it really even mattered. I wanted her in my life...my eternity. I was not the same Being I had been the night I met Evan Whitman.

That day found me feeling more like a physician than I had in decades, and I found I enjoyed taking care of Evan. She thought I was being too particular, but I just wanted the best for her. I asked Marie to go out and get mashed potatoes and pudding and soups for Evan, because more solid food hurt her too much to chew. Dr. Smith had told her she had a hairline fracture of one of her skull bones, and that she would be fine, but not to do anything strenuous for the next couple of weeks. She also had three broken ribs and more bruises in more places than I wanted to think about. Evan said it felt good to curl up next to my cool body and numb her bruises. Most of that first day and the next morning found us curled in bed, me shirtless, and her in a thin t-shirt wrapped around me. The rightness of having her near me secured the thoughts in my head of what the future would hold.

Around noon the day after I brought Evan home, the Brethren called me. I excused myself from her side, and barely resisted the pout she gave me as I left the room.

"What can I do for you, Aristarchus?" I asked.

"We have decided that Nathan will remain with us, Emil. I believe that you said you wanted a hand in the boy's training. He is here and ready for an education. We have kept him fed and taught him the basics, but until he matures in thought, he is going to need someone to keep a close eye on him. I want you to come by today and pick him up."

"This is not the best time, Aristarchus. I am sure you've heard Tourneau is back. We need to catch up, so can it wait until tomorrow?" I was grasping at straws. The Brethren could not know about Evan. If they found out about my indiscretion, it would spell certain death for her.

"That is a thin excuse. I know as well as you that Tourneau will only be an asset to training the boy. Now I know about the human woman, Emil. I have been patient, but you are trying me. Do what you must, but take care of the woman. Either she becomes a vampire or your victim. I do not want humans learning of us and thinking us a romantic race. I understand loneliness, Emil, and that is why I have been so lenient with you, but it is time to decide."

"Yes, sir. I will take care of her. Tourneau will come for the boy this afternoon, if that suits you," I said, shocked at the words of the Councilman. I had thought I was being discreet, but apparently not. I dialed Tourneau.

"Hello, Emil, I am just on my way to meet your lady," he said when he answered on the first ring.

"Tourneau, I need a favor. Aristarchus has just revealed to me that he knows about Evan. He wants me to take care of her..." I let my words speak for themselves.

"Mon Dieu! Are you ready for that? You are going to make her one of us, oui? I have not met her, but I will trust your judgment," he said.

"No, I am not ready, but I cannot risk her being killed by a Guardian. I love her too much. I wanted it to be different than this, not rushed," I said, as the reality of what I had to do settled heavily on my mind.

"Of course, mon cher. But you know you must do it. What is this favor you need from me? You need me to bite her?" Tourneau asked, ready to help with the task he knew I despised.

"No, but thank you for offering. I will be fine. The favor I need is going to be more troublesome for you, I think." I had not had the opportunity to tell Tourneau all that had gone on over the last month, and I did not think he would appreciate the task I was going to ask of him. "I had a weak moment a few weeks ago. I decided not to destroy a young Newborn that was the result of an attack by a rogue vampire."

"That is not so strange. You are finding your conscience. But what does this have to do with me?"

"The new creature happens to be a fifteen year old boy, Tourneau," I said, and rushed on, "I know that it is a terrible thing to commit a child to...an eternity of taking life and living in a child's body, but I could not kill him. I thought I had saved his life, but I had only damned him to this horrific existence."

"Oh, Emil. That is awful, but I think I understand. You were lonely." Tourneau had a knowing tone to his voice, and he went on with half-hearted enthusiasm, "Fifteen is considered manhood in some cultures, you know."

"Not in Nathan's case...No, Tourneau. I am tired of killing. I really want to take a long break from being a Guardian. But I have been given an ultimatum. I am to train the boy and keep him contained until he grows into his awareness. I need you to help me with him. Evan is too ill to be left alone, and I must get the boy from the Brethren this afternoon. Could you please pick him up? I know you are more than equipped to train him, and I will join you as soon as I can," I pleaded.

"Don't you worry. You go take care of your mademoiselle and I will take care of your new son. It sounds to me, Emil, as if you have found yourself a new family. And you are a wonderful Guardian. You have realized what it means to fiercely want to protect someone. It can only make you a better Guardian. Ask for some time off to manage your new family and then think about your options later," he advised me. Then he added, "Enjoy."

Only Tourneau could say such a thing at such a time as this. "I will try. And thank you. I owe you."

"Ce n'est rien. I would go to the ends of the earth for you. I am happy for you."

I hung up the phone, relieved by my mentor's words and support. I turned and went back into Evan. She had closed her eyes and curled up on her left side, asleep in a narcotic haze.