Chapter 39

As our holidays draw to a close, I'm contemplating about what I'll do when Joe takes flight to America with Caspar to film Joe & Caspar Hit the Road: USA.

I'm going to be strong and independant.

I tell myself, although that's a lie, and I know it.

"I'm going to be so depressed when we get back to dreary England." Zoë says, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Mmm."

I'm ready to go home, I think.

"Hey, what's up?" Zoë asks, throwing me a concerned expression.

"Nothing, I'm fine." I lie, not looking her in the eye.

"You're clearly not." Zoë huffs, smiling.

"I'm just going to miss Joe when he goes to America for two weeks. He's leaving almost as soon as we get home." I admit.

"I know, it's a long time to be away from someone that you care about, but you're welcome to stay at our's whenever you feel, you know that." Zoë offers.

I love the fact that Zoë cares and is so generous.

It makes me smile.

"See! There's that beautiful smile! Cheer up now and make the most of the sunshine!"

We leave tomorrow, those ten days flew by all too rapidly.

"I think I'm gonna go up and make a start on the bags for tomorrow. I might come back down around lunchtime maybe." I announce, standing up from the sun lounger.

"Awh, okay. I need to do mine aswell, but the thought of it is so off-putting." Zoë says.

I get up to the boiling hot room and open the balcony doors, allowing some air to pass through.

Just as I zip open my suitcase and begin the tedious process of sorting worn clothes with fresh ones, my phone starts blaring out Please Don't Go by Joel Adams, signalling me that someone is attempting to contact me.

It's my brother.

I haven't spoken to my brother Conor is ages.

Months, even.

We used to be so close, I guess he's been busy creating a new life in New Zealand with his fiancé, Sarah.

"Hey sis! How's things? We haven't spoke in ages! I have some big news to tell you!" Conor rambles quickly from the other side of the world.

"Hehe! Hello to you to! I'm great, now what's this news you have for me?" I chuckle, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Sarah and I have a date for the wedding! It's on the 1st of August and we're having it here in New Zealand! Will you be able to make it?"

It takes a moment to process in my brain.

My brother is six years younger than me, which makes him 17 years old.

And he's getting married.

"Conor, I'm happy for you, of course I am, but are you sure? I mean, you're still both so young!"

"Oh Cate! Thank you for worrying, but I'm not a little child anymore, I'm well capable of taking care of myself and my family. So are you coming?" Conor is eager for my answer.

Of course I have to go.

He's my baby brother.

I can't let him down.

"Yes, I'm coming, you idiot! I kinda have to, since I'm your sister!" I joke. "May I bring a plus one?"

"Who do you have in mind?" He questions.

I knew he's ask this.

"My boyfriend." I gulp.

I'm waiting for the teasing comments and jeers, but no, Conor acts sensible.

My brother really has grown up.

"Oh? And how come I haven't heard about this lucky guy? What's his name and where did you find him?"

"His name is Joe and I 'found him' at a nightclub in Dublin." I tell him.

Thinking about it now, if it wasn't for Mel asking me to go clubbing that time, I wouldn't have met Joe, and none of this would be a reality.

"Very nice! Yes, he can come! I'll see you there then! I'd better go now, this is costing me a fortune. Bye!"

And with that, the room is silent once again.

I carry on packing for about an hour or so, when I'm finally finished.

I sigh a long hard sigh and fling myself onto the soft comforts of the padded duvet.

Before I know it, I'm closing my heavy eyelids and am sound asleep.

I wake to feel a warm body close to me and wrap their arms around my waist.

It must be Joe.

I open my eyes more and turn my head gently to find I was right.

"Were you having a little nap, Monkey?" Joe smirks, kissing my cheek.

I just smile wearily and snuggle closer to him.

"Do you want to come downstairs for a spot of lunch?" Joe says in a posh tone, finding it hard to contain his laughter.

"Ten more minutes here, I think." I whisper, now turning my whole body to face Joe and resting my head in his chest.

It's so soothing to listen to his heartbeat, bouncing up and down in his ribcage.

His steady breathes make his chest move up and down comfortingly.

I shut my eye just for a moment and think of my brother, standing in a dapper tuxedo at the altar, waiting for his childhood sweetheart.

"Don't fall asleep again! Come on, let's get some lunch." Joe laughs, placing his hands on my bare shoulder and getting up from where he lay.

"I think I might change my t-shirt, I don't like this one much. What do you think?" Joe asks, pulling the hem of the grey top that shows off his slender body.

I just laugh, more awake now, getting up and smoothing the creases in the pillows.

"What?" Joe asks in a puzzled tone. "What's so funny?"

"You and Alfie get on to us about fashion talk and you're here debating wether you should change!" I chuckle, reapplying my lipstick as I speak.

I know, it's a gift😉

"Piss off!" Joe jokes, whipping me on the butt as I'm bent down at the mirror with his t-shirt.

I turn around rapidly and snatch it from him with my cat-like reflexes.

I begin then to give Joe a taste of his own medicine, backing him into the corner.

This goes on for at least ten minutes, when a text from Zoë appears on my iPhone screen.

Zoë: Are you guys coming to lunch at all today?😂 Alf and I are waiting downstairs! Xx

I text back, telling her we're in the elevator, which is a lie.

She doesn't know that though.

"Come on, Zoë just text me saying that her and Alfie are waiting on us!" I smile, and we head towards our friends.

Allo allo!
I haven't updated in AGES!
I apologise, I don't even have an excuse, just that I wasn't bothered😕
Well here you go anyway, hope you liked it, even if it was a tad boring.
Vote and share,
A kiss and a hug,
cb_sugg xx

P.S. I never really thought about this before, but I have social anxiety and therefore don't really like hugs😂
So my outro is a bit passive-aggressive😂