Chapter 24

Beep... beep... beep...

That's all I can hear throughout the room. Joe's heart monitor.
At least he's alive.

I've sat here in this hard, cold chair since we arrived.
Not budging, holding Joe's hand and tracing circles into his palm with my thumb.

It should have been me. I keep telling myself. All of Joe's fans will be distraught. No-one has told them yet, and I don't want to be the one that does.

I've called Zoë, trying to tell her what happened, but I couldn't manage to say it.
Instead, the nurse on duty had to explain what had happened.

Her and Alfie have now dropped everything and are on their way over with Graham and Tracey, Joe and Zoë's parents.

I didn't imagine this would be how I'd meet them.

"Joe. Wake up for me, please." I beg, bending over to him.

"We can't say how long he'll be unconsious for. But one things for sure, he's a fighter!" The nurse says positively, checking his temperature.

Another hour passes, then the next, when finally, Zoë runs in through the double doors, no makeup, and her eyes are brimming with tears.

I release my grip from Joe's hand and cling onto Zoë's back, and we're both sobbing into each other's shoulders.

Alfie's rubbing Zoë's back soothingly, telling her it's okay, even though he's glancing at Joe lying in bed with the corner of his eye, a worried expression playing on his face.

I see Joe's mum and dad walk in through the doors and I go over to shake their hands politely, because I've only just met them, but they both pull me into a giant hug.

"Thank you for calling us Cate. I hope my baby boy is going to be alright." Tracey cries into me.

"Me too." I reply, releasing from the embrace.

I go back to Joe's bedside and tell him everyone's arrived. I know he won't hear me, but it's worth a try.

"Joe, honey. Your mum and dad are with Zoë and Alfie. They've come to see how you're doing. Why don't you open your eyes and say hello?"

No reply. Heartbreaking.

"It's okay." Alfie says. "Why don't you and I go for some fresh air, Cate? Give Joe some time with his family?"

All I can do is agree. Family comes first.

I plant a kiss on Joe's forehead and step outside the door, Alfie close behind.

"Your a great friend, Alf." I say, beginning to walk towards the front desk that will lead us outside into the hospital gardens.

"Awh stop." Alfie blushes, walking alongside me.

We step outside and I'm immediatly hit with a calm summer breeze.
I spot a wooden swing by a tree and go sit down, swinging my legs off the ground, letting my head fall with the wind.

Alfie and I stay out in the gardens for about ten minutes, when our peaceful silence is interrupted.

"Cate! Alfie! Quickly, it's Joe!" It's Zoë. She's hovering at the door, bouncing from foot to foot with a big grin on her face. It must be good news.

All three of us race down the corridors, until we reach Joe's private ward.

"Where's Cate? I need to see my Monkey." Is all he's saying, and that makes me so happy.

"I'm here." I cry, rushing over to the door and clutching onto his hand.

"He woke up and kept on mumbling your name. It was pretty unclear at first but now he's awake and kicking!" Joe's dad explains in his thick Wiltshire accent.

"Thank God your awake!" I say, tears of joy now welling up in my eyes.

"Don't cry. I'm here, silly!" Joe laughs hoarsly, wiping away the salty droplets with his thumb.

"I'm so happy though!" I choke, smiling widely.

"How's your neck?" He asks, obviously noticing the big purple bruises covering my neck.

"Never mind that. It's alright. We need to get a nurse!" I say, pulling the red chord that is hanging above the bed.

A plump nurse comes in almost immediatly, dressed in green scrubs.

"What's the problem?" She breathes, a little bit impatiently.

"There's no problem!" I beam. "He's awake!"

"Oh right? Let me have a look at you then."

The nurse checks Joe's pulse and then tells us to give him some privacy as she pulls across the curtains to dress the stab wound on his back.

Joe won't be discharged for awhile, since he needs stitches and then he can catch up on some sleep.

I guess lonely nights lay ahead.

I got my neck checked out on the way to the hospital in the ambulance and was told I got away lucky with some light bruising to the neck.
It doesn't look light to me. It looks disgusting and hideous.

I just hope, hope, hope that they charge Mel for what she did to Joe.

The nurse leaves us now and I snap back into reality.

"I think we should go now, don't you Alf?" Zoë says, going over to her little brother and giving him a gentle hug before taking Alfie's hand and saying goodbye to the rest of us.

"Yeah. I'm gonna head off now too." Graham says, waving to us both and following Zoë and Alfie out the door.

"See you later honey." Tracey says to Joe, kissing him on the cheek. "It was nice to meet you Katie."

I don't tell her that my name's Cate. That would be rude.

It's just Joe and I now.

"I heard you were asking for me when you woke up?" I giggle, twirling my hair around my finger.

"No! What do you mean?" Joe jokes, smirking. "I think that moving to England will have to be postponed. What do you think?"

"Well obviously. We can't move when you're like this!" I sigh, staring into his eyes, running my own hands through his hair.

"Guess what?" Joe says.

"What?" I reply.

"I love you."

"Really?" I say in mock surprise. "I hadn't noticed!" And kiss him on his smiling lips.

Phew! Joe woke up! I was getting worried for a moment!
Hope your enjoying the storyline so far, let me know in the comments what you think and please vote because it helps me so much and lets me know you're enjoying the story!
That's all folks!
cb_sugg xx