Chapter 23

"Cate!" Joe calls, looking out the window. "The removal van is here!"

"Okay. Hang on just a sec!" I yell back, fixing the finishing touches on my hair.

I rush out into the living room and see that Joe is beginning to pick up boxes and bring them out into the hallway, where a man in dungarees, clipboard in hand, is there to carry them into the actual van itself.

"Here let me help." I offer, going to pick up a box full of cutlery.

"Be careful." Joe warns. "I put sharp knives in that box yesterday."

"Yeah, I see them." I say.

"Excuse me, Sir, Madam, I'm gonna have to come back in about an hour, I have to be somewhere else, it's an emergency! Won't be long!" The dungarees-man says, fetching his keys from the countertop and walking out the door.

"What?" I sigh to no-one in particular, sinking into a nearby dining chair. "Is he joking?"

"Eh, I don't think so." Joe says, running his hands through his hair.

We just sit around waiting for the man, there's nothing else we can really do.

Knock, Knock!

Thank goodness! He's back. That was quick.

"Oh!" I exclaim. "I'll get it, he was quick!"

I open the front door only to reveal the most gruesome sight I've ever seen.

Scraggy black hair that hasn't been brushed in days, that's usually falling silky smooth past her petite shoulders.

Her eye make-up is smudged all down her pale cheeks, like she's been crying.

I barely recognise her, except for when she spoke, her voice still as sharp and as cold as ice.

"Why are you here?" I demand, about to close the door in her face.

"Don't you dare close this door in my face!" She says, wedging her foot in the frame. "It's time to pay up Cate."

"You okay Cate? Who's at the door?" I hear Joe call from the living room.
She is really scaring me.

"Joe?" I quiver, not taking my eyes off of her, I'm not taking my chances.

"What's up Monkey?" Joe can hear how frightened I am by the tone of my voice.
He's beside me in a flash and his brow is furrowed angrily.

"Leave." He spits at her, grabbing my waist and pulling me into him. "No-one wants you! Do you hear me, no-one!"

I don't do anything, just stand there, holding onto Joe tightly.

Her face practically has gone red with anger.
She's found a new strength inside her, that has been pacing it's cage for quite awhile.

She pushes the door so hard that I'm knocked flying off my feet and land with a thud on the wooden floor.
She hovers over me menacingly, then presses her foot into my neck, so I'm pressed against the ground.

"Get the fuck off of my girlfriend!" Joe screams, pulling and tugging at her shirt, but she just keeps on pressing my neck further and further into the ground.

"Ow." Is all I manage to gasp, holding onto her ankle and trying my absoulute best to prise her off me.

She must be enjoying herself, as she pushes Joe away from her roughly and laughs menacingly.

"I don't want to do this, but I'm sorry." Joe says, rolling up his sleeves and throwing a punch at her.

She staggers back, clutching her bleeding jaw, gobsmacked.

I'm still lying on the ground, unable to move, my face purple from lack of air.
She almost killed me.

"Cate! Cate babe get up, please!" Joe wails, getting down to my level and bending over me.

"Help me." I whisper, turning my already bruised neck to him slightly, so as not to damage it any more than she did.

Joe grabs me behind my back and lifts me up as gently as he possibly can.

I try and crane my neck around, in search of her, but she's nowhere to be found.

"Joe!" I scream, but it's too late.
Joe drops to the ground, she's holding one of those knives that had been packed away in the boxes.
She must've got it from the kitchen, when Joe was helping me up.

Joe's lying on the floor, a big scarlet stain on his t-shirt, blood seeping out of the wound at an alarming rate.

"Shit." She says. "What the fuck have I done?" She drops the knife and backs out the door, then turns and starts to run down the street. Anywhere away from here.

I dont know what to do.
I'm screaming, but no tears are coming out of my eyes. I try to force them, it's like my eyes have just gone dry.

I need to phone someone. Anyone.
I can't call Zoë or Alfie, they're too far away.
I'm running out of options.

I grab my phone out of my pocket and punch in the number.

"Hello? Cate, what's wrong?" The voice sounds panicky, picking up on my fear.

"Please. Jack, you were the only person I had left to call. Phone an ambulance and get to my house as soon as you can!" I weep, clenching the phone in my hand, squeezing it until my knuckles go white.

I fall onto my knees amd wail like a banshee, hugging Joe's neck.

"Please baby. Wake up." I whisper in his ear shakily.

I'm getting his blood all over my hair and hands, but I don't care.
Why won't you wake up?

I'm sobbing uncontrollably by the time Jack finally arrives with an ambulance close behind.

"Shh." Jack said, trying to prise me off of Joe's lifeless body.

"No! I have to stay with him!" I scream, shaking him away and running my hands through Joe's now blood-stained hair, continuously whispering for him to wake up.

"We're going to take Joe in the ambulance now, so you'll have to let us take him." The paramedic says, coming up behind me and rubbing my shoulders.
All I manage is a meer nod.

They convert Joe onto a stretcher and transport him to the ambulance that's waiting outside the house.
By now, a large crowd has gathered on the street, hugging each other and whispering all kinds of things.

I climb into the ambulance but before the doors close, I thank Jack.

"Without you Jack, he would've died." I choke.

Jack says nothing as the paramedic shuts the heavy doors and the ambulance drives off, sirens blaring, steering it's way niftily through the Dublin traffic, with my boyfriend hooked up to all kinds of wires... lifeless.

Ahhhh! Joe got stabbed😢 BY MEL, incase you didn't follow it, I was trying to make it mysterious😂 Omg the little bitch!
But the question is, will Joe pull through?
Find out in the next chapter!
Vote and share with your friends!
Love yas lots like jelly tots!
cb_sugg xx