Chapter 11

We've been at the park for over an hour now. Already we've eaten these massive chocolate sundaes, have fed a colony of greedy ducks and have flown Alfie's new drone.
Now, we are all lying on a blanket, watching the sun setting behind the green trees that are swaying in the wind.

I'm lying down on the blanket, using Joe's leg as my pillow, and he's twirling his finger around a stray piece of my hair. This is bliss.

"Cate." Joe says gently, looking over me and smiling.
"Yeah?" I answer, returning the look.
"I can't afford to lose you again," Joe starts. "I need to protect you. But I need to have the honour of doing so."
"Joe?" I ask. This is a bit weird.
Zoë's looking at Alfie and they turn to face us. I think they know what's going to happen because the grins are stretching across their faces.
"And to have that honour." Joe continues. "I'll need to have a title."
"Joe, your scaring me! Cut to the chase!"
"I'd like that title to be 'Boyfriend', if that's okay?" He asks. Are my ears playing tricks? Of course they must be. No, it's all real.
Zoë and Alfie are clapping. Joe is waiting for an answer.
"Well?" He says, after a long silence.
"Of course it's okay!" I say, barely in a whisper.
My eyes are prickling with tears. Sad tears. Joe is so oblivious to what I had done. So blind and innocent. And I hate myself for that. I ever so badly want to tell him, but I'll ruin this moment.

Joe's anxious face changes to elated. He picks me up by the waist, spins me round and round, then plants a loving kiss on my lips. The same lips that were pressed roughly in the heat of the moment against Jack's.
I'm never drinking again.

The suns beginning to set, so we head back to the car, hands interlocked.
"I'm sorry." I say, resting my head on Joe's shoulder.
"For what?" Joe laughs, kissing my forehead.
"I can't tell you right now, it'll ruin everything." We've stopped walking now, and are standing in the middle of the car park.
"Cate." Joe says seriously. "Is there something you want to tell me?"
"Are guys coming or what?" Zoë calls across the car park.
"We'll be over in a sec." Joe calls back.
He's holding onto my shoulders, looking into my eyes, trying to figure out what's running through my mind.
Trust me, Joe. You don't want to know.
"I'm scared to tell you Joe." I say, a single tear trickling down my pale cheek.
"Don't be scared Monkey. I'll support you, no matter what."
I don't know about that.

I'm telling him. This is it. My relationship with my boyfriend us over before it has started. World record.

"You know the night of the accident?" I begin. "Well, there's a reason I was trying to escape the club in a hurry..."
"Did Jack try to hurt you? If he did, I'll-" Joe says, clenching his fists together tightly.
"No! Nothing like that!"
I'm just gonna come out with it.
I'm staring at the ground, like it's the most interesting thing in the world, not daring to look Joe in his blue eyes.
"Please Cate, tell me." Joe pleads, taking my hands.
"I kissed Jack." I blurt. It's out in the open. I've said it. "I'm sorry Joe! I was drunk, I-"
"Cate, I think it's better if I get a taxi home." Joe cuts me off bluntly. "I guess it was too good to be true."
He's stormed off in another direction, leaving me sobbing by myself in the car park.
Zoë runs over to me hurriedly.
"Hey," She soothes. "What's the matter?"
"The other night at the club, I kissed Jack. But I was drunk and didn't know what I was doing."
"Shh." Is all Zoë has to say. "Let's get you back home and in bed. If I know my little brother, he'll cool off soon enough." I'm glad Zoë's not angry at me for betraying her litte brother. She's a true friend.

On the way home, Alfie's sat in the back with me, hugging and rocking me like I'm a small baby.
"Why are you so good to me, when it's Joe that probably needs comforting. I should be the one taking refuge in a B&B." I sob into Alfie's t-shirt, most likely soaking it in my salty tears.
"Joe's a man." Alfie states. "Your a fragile little China doll, so easily broken but so difficult to fix."

I'm in my pink onesie, in bed, the black chalkboard with me and Joe's name written on it. I'm makim my vision go blurry I'm staring at his name so hard.
"Come on now, put that away." Zoë comes into the room with two mugs of steaming hot chocolate in her hand. "You'll need some sleep because we need to be up early for the spa in the morning."
"Zoë, I don't think I'm gonna go anymore." I say and Zoë's face falls.
"But why?" She exclaims.
"Because, I'll just be a boring old lump to be around. I won't be any fun, not when I'm like this." I say, taking a sip of the creamy liquid.
"Your coming to this spa if I have to drag you by your ponytail!" Zoë says, trying to lighten the mood. I smile hollowly, just to satisfy Zoë.
"That's it." She says, rubbing my back. "Sweet dreams."

I'm lying on my back in bed, staring at the ceiling. An empty space beside me. I'd like to think Joe is somewhere in a hotel, doing the same thing. Missing me like crazy. But after what I've done, that's hardly likely.

I text Jack earlier.
Cate: Jack, I'm sorry, but I told Joe about me kissing you. He's not speaking to me now. Don't let yourself think that it's your fault. I kissed you, not the other way round. And I think it's better if we don't keep in contact with each other, sorry again. Cate.

I got no reply. I know he's seen it. He was active on Twitter a few minutes ago. At least he's respecting my wishes.
Apparently, his video with me has got 17 million views in less than a week. Supposedly, it's funny if someone blindly walks into shelves and desks. Not for me. I can't laugh anymore. It's too much of a struggle.

Cate told Joe! Their relationship is teetering on the rocks, but can they rescue it in time, before it cascades into the murky waters beneath? My English teacher would be proud of my use of that metaphor. Well done you.
We're getting ever closer to 300 reads, so I'm gonna be doing a dramatic chapter when we actually do. Be prepared! I have it all planned out😈😉
Vote, share and whatever.
Bye,
cb_sugg xx