Chapter 20

"That was fun, wasn't it?" I say to Joe, unlocking the front door to my house and hanging up my bag on the coat stand.
"Yeah, it was great! I had alot of fun!" Joe says.

"So, what's for dinner tonight then?" I say, going into the kitchen and looking in the fridge-freezer for any ideas. Of course there's nothing.

"Just to tell you, there's not really much. I could nip down to the shop real quick and just get a frozen pizza?" I suggest, closing the fridge door and putting my hands on my hips.
"I'll go." Joe offers, taking out his wallet.
"No. I want to." I say, shoving Joe's wallet away from me. "And, I can pay for it myself. For once!"
"Fine." Joe shrugs. "I'll get plates on the table and heat up the oven."
I enter the hallway and tug my shoes on my feet.

The line for the cash-out till in te shop is huge and I'm waiting in-line for ages, holding onto my frozen pizza, the tips of my fingers gradually becoming numb.

"Hey Cate!" I hear someone say.
Oh God. Someone wants to communicate.
I turn around and see none other than Jack standing behind me in the line. Yippee...
At least it's not Mel.

"Hi Jack." I say in a monotone, as if I'm bored.

"What's up with you? You seem pissed off at something."

"I just have alot on my plate at the moment, that's all."

"Well you obviously don't if you have to come down to the corner shop and buy a frozen pizza!"

I can't really not laugh at that. It is quite funny. And sadly true.

"See!" Jack nods triumphently. "There's that smile I know and love!"

I have nothing to say to this comment. Jack is clearly hitting on me.
Thank goodness I'm next in line.
I walk up and pay for the pizza.
"Well Jack. It was... nice to see you again. Bye."
And with that, I strut out the door and down the street to where Joe is waiting for me.

I open my front door to the sound of two voices.
One of them I haven't heard in awhile, and hadn't hope to have heard ever again.

Mel.

I stop outside the door to the kitchen, waiting to go in at just the right moment.

"Mel. I think you need to leave, now. Cate doesn't want you here, and neither do I." I hear Joe say.

"Oh but Joe, that's just the thing." Mel sneers. "I know you've had your eye on me since we met that night in the club."

I feel like my heart has frozen. I know it's not true, but my 'best friend' just admitted she likes my boyfriend.
Even when we met, we swore that neither one of us would ever try to steal each other's boyfriends. Obviously Mel is not paying attention to that promise.

"We both know that's bullshit! I love Cate, you know I do." Joe says sternly.

I feel reassured to know that Joe is being loyal. Not that I doubted him in the first place.

"Mel! Get off me! I told you to-" Joe's words are cut off and I can hear Mel's sickly sweet laugh muffled slightly.
I feel like it's time to intervene.

I don't like what I'm seeing. I think I'm going to be sick.
Mel has Joe pushed against the wall roughly, Joe making it obvious he's trying to escape.
Mel's mouth is moving all around Joe's prised-together lips.
She's trying to kiss him.

"Oh hello Melanie! I see you've made yourself right at home!" I yell, barging through the door and storming over to the two.
Mel stops what she's trying to do, and wipes her lips, right in front of my face.
"Cate! I came to apologise, and Joe just flung himself on me!" Mel lies.
The little cow.
"Bullshit! I was there the whole time you sly little bitch!"
Mel is dumbfounded. Her mouth us gaped open in the shape of an 'o'.

"Get out." I say angrily.

"Cate, please."

"I said, get out! Before I slap your pretty little face!"

Mel grabs her handbag that was on the counter, huffs, then hurries out of the kitchen, making sure to slam both doors on the way out.

"Cate, honey." Joe says gently, rubbing my shoulder.
"I know she came onto you. It's not your fault, I was behind the door the whole time. I heard everything."
Joe breathes out a sigh of relief and gives me a tight hug.

"You'll never guess who I met in the shop." I say into Joe's shoulder.

"No, I'll never guess. So you'd better tell me." Joe mumbles back.

"Jack." I tell him.

"Oh?"

"Yeah. It was pretty awkward, I must admit."

"Do you know what? I'm starving! Let's put those pizzas in the oven."

After dinner and it's quite late. Cate and Joe are just talking, lying in bed.

"Did you find any pyjamas to wear tonight?" Joe asks me.

"Oh very funny!" I sneer, punching him lightly on the shoulder.

"What am I going to do about Mel?" I ask Joe, getting closer and hugging his tan shoulder.

"Now, this is just an idea, and I know it's early, but I get quite lonely in my new house, and I know how much you love London. What do you say?" Joe asks.

I can't believe my ears, for the second time today.

Is Joe asking me to move in with him?

"Joe? Are you asking me to move in with you?" I tremble, sitting up intently.

"Maybe." Joe smirks, kissing my cheek. "What's it gonna be?"

"Well of course! There's no thinking about it! I mean, what have I got to live for over here?"

"So that's a yes I take it?" Joe laughs, putting his arm around my shoulder and pulling me into his chest.

"Duh, obviously!" I laugh, kissing him on the lips lightly.

"Great! We can start packing tomorrow!"

Hi! So this chapter was quite a juicy one, like I promised! Mel kissed Joe and now Cate is moving to London! Bombshell!
Also can I just say stay strong to my friend Shauna because she's going through quite a hard time atm and I just want to tell her that I'm here if she ever needs me.
Oh! And MagCon are in Dublin and my friend Kelsey is going to meet them!!(lucky bitch😂)
Anyway, vote and share,
Hope you enjoyed,
cb_sugg xx