Chapter 24

(Emma's P.O.V)

A howl breaks my concentration. Axel's howl? Why would he be howling?

I kiss Mavis's small head and Tyler's two year old head.

Axel? Is everythin' okay?

Nothing. I can't get a connection.

Tre?

What? His voice sounds irritated.

Where are you? Panic filling mine.

There's no need to panic, I'm in my office with your dad. Why?

I cain't get a connection with Axel.

Check the cattle barn, he might be close'n up for the night.

Okay. Abby's here, right?

In the kitchen.

Okay. I make my way to the kitchen.

Something is wrong. Axel doesn't need to be in wolf form to round up the cows. He just needs to mind-link Betty to head to the barn.

"Emma? You okay?" Abby asks, washing some dishes leftover from supper.

I look at her. "I don't know, just watch my kids for me. They're sleep'n right now but if Tyler wakes up he ither needs a drink, Mavis woke him up or he has to use the bathroom."

Axel is taking too long.

I run out the doors and run down the stairs. I soon then bolt to the cow barn.

That's when I see him, his wolf stuck in some sort of bubble in the middle of the barn with some sort of supernatural being next to him. I scream in terror, catching the things attention.

•~~~~~•

My eyes flutter open, only to be greeted with the dark.

When did I get in the loft? I try moving a little, but realize I'm tied to a chair. Great, not only do I not know how I got in here, but I'm tied to a chair. Just a wonderful combination for me.

"Wait, stop!" someone yells. "Something is off."

I wobble the chair to get their attention, but fall over with a thud. "Ouch." I whisper. At least that will get their attention.

"Emma, are you alright?" the same voice asks.

Wait, did he just say my name? Who in the world is pretending to be me? I'm up here you dimwads!

I sit here, well more like lay here, in silence till another voice speaks underneath the floor.

"Guys, that ain't Emma." Nick states.

Nick? What is he doing here? I hear a flutter in here after Nick's statement.

"Emma?" that same voice from before calls my name.

"Conner?" I furrow my eyebrows, trying to see through the pitch black loft. That flutter... "Oh my word, Conner! Over here!" I whisper yell, trying to get myself loose of the chair.

"Emma, are you hurt?" he says, searching for me.

"I don't think so, it's dark in here. I'm tied to a chair 'n I purposely fell over." I see Conner now that he turned the light on.

"Geez, let's get you up then." he puts the chair back on it's four legs and unties my hands and feet.

I stand up, suddenly feeling dizzy. "Conner, I ain't feel'n so hot." I say before falling over.

"Woah, Emma." he says catching me. "There's a big gash in your back." then everything goes black.

•~~~~~•

(Conner's P.O.V)

I appear in the hospital with Emma in my arms. I may be an angel, but I can't heal the paranormal.

"Excuse me, nurse." I say to a passing by nurse.

She looks at me, then Emma. "Yes?" she must be human and from somewhere else cause she seems to not know who Emma is.

"Um, is Dr. Frost or Dr. Shepard here?"

"Dr. Frost is down that hall 'n first room to the left. Dr. Shepard is in the second floor lab." she pauses, "Would you like me to call them up here for you?"

I nod my head aggressively. "Yes!"

She goes behind the counter and picks up the phone, now sitting at the desk to speak into the intercom. "Dr. Frost and Dr. Shepard, report to the main desk on the first floor immediately, please."

Within seconds, they were both here. They look at me, then Emma, then the pool of blood at my feet, then back to me.

"Emma..." Axel's mom whispers with tears swelling in her eyes.

"Conner, what happened?" Dr. Shepard, more serious than Axel's mom.

"Dr. Shepard, I hope you're aware that there's humans here and Emma needs a gurney, like right now!" I yell the last part, so everyone around us knows I'm being serious.

"Who's watching my grandkids?"

"I don't know, Emma never said." I sigh. I was about to run my hand through my hair, but the blood stain on it made me change my mind.

"Wait," she makes that face when she notices Axel isn't with Emma when she ends up in the hospital. "Where's Axel?"

Dr. Shepard looks at me. "What exactly is happen'n here Conner!"

"That's why I said I'd discuss this with you in the OR!"

•~~~~~•

"Emma and Axel were attacked by a demonized shape shifter. Her name is Courtney. We've run into her before."

"What!?!" both Dr. Frost and Dr. Shepard yell, turning their attention away from Emma's wound.

"Don't worry, Nick, Cameron, and Parker have it under control." I hope.