Chapter 7

(Emma's P.O.V)

I wake up to the sun's rays peeking through the window. It's been four years and wait, where is Axel? I start to panic when I don't see Axel in bed. I jump out of bed and head to the kitchen to make sure he's just getting some food.

I walk into the kitchen and open the fridge. I grab the orange juice and grab a cup from the cupboard. I feel like I'm being watched. I look around and see no one. I set the cup on the island and pour the juice. I stop pouring my juice, but I hear snickers coming from the living room.

I exit the kitchen holding my glass. I reach the living room and there's cake sitting on the coffee table. I know what those three are up to.

I set my cup down. "Nice try you three." I start laughing.

My face goes to a frown when I get no answers. Something jumps out at me and attacks. A Hunter, how did it get in here? The thing bites into my leg and I scream out in pain.

"Axel! Tre! Abby! Help me!" I scream for help.

I try to shift, but I can't, it's like the thing is keeping me from shifting. I fight back as much as I can, but more Hunters appear and latch onto my shoulder. Then one grabs my arm managing to break it. I scream out in more pain to my now broken arm. After I scream I lay there helpless. It felt like something scares them off because they start to detach themselves from my body.

The door slams open and the three storm in. I attempt to get up, but I fall with a loud grunt. I open my mouth to speak, but nothing comes out.

"Axel, in here!" a familiar deep voice calls.

Axel then falls to the ground in front of me. "Emma..." I could feel hurt in his voice as it trailed.

I try to pick myself up again, without using my broken arm this time. I get to my feet, but fall losing my balance from the pain shooting up my leg. Axel manages to catch me.

"Emma, what happened?" he looks into my eyes.

I shudder at his question. "H-H-Hunters." I say before I go limp from all the blood loss and shock from all my wounds.

(Axel's P.O.V)

I just stand there, Emma still leaning against me. The smell of her blood fills my nose. I pick her up and head outside.

"Abby," I call using my Alpha voice. "Hook up the wagon to two horses."

"On it!" she states, still a bit in shock.

"We need to get Emma to the hospital, Axel."

"What do you think I'm do'n Tre?" I question as I try to hold my wolf back.

"Well, then I'll drive the horses."

I jump in the back of the wagon and sit on a bale of hay. "It's alright Em, we'll be at the hospital soon." I softly say into her ear.

•~~~~~•

I jump out of the wagon and rush into the building. "Doctor, I need your help!"

"Yes Alpha. Can you tell me what happened?" The doctor kindly asks while inspecting my mate.

"I didn't see what happened." my voice broken in pain.

"Okay. Dr. Shepard, I need a gurney immediately!"

Dr. Shepard comes rushing with the gurney. The doctors take Emma from my arms and place her down. They take off in a hurry as she loses more blood. I trail behind to make sure she is safe. I get stopped by a familiar voice.

"Axel, you need to stay here." a soothing voice called.

I turn to face the person with tears in my eyes. "Mom."

My mom just grasps me into a hug. "I'm sorry Hun." she whispers.

"What are you do'n here?"

"I got called in for a surgery." I continue to hug her even when I see Tre and Abby running down the hall.

"Alpha," I hear a nurse say to Tre.

"Water please." he says leaning against a wall, panting. I chuckle a bit releasing my mom.

"Axel?"

"Yeah mom?"

"Do you know what attacked her? I know you said you weren't there when it happened, but did she say somethin'?" she always knew when there were answers.

"Yeah, as a matter of fact I do!" I whisper to my mom what Emma said.

"You sure they're not human?"

I flip out at mom's question. "She has flip'n bite marks 'n flip'n claw marks on her with a broken arm. That ain't human mother!"

After I yelled at my mom, everyone freezes and stare at me in shock. A growl erupts from Tre's chest. I just storm outside and plop down on the bench.

This is not how we planned to celebrate her birthday. I was even going to asks her to marry me. Now she's in the hospital all beat up. I pull out the box with my grandmother's sapphire ring in it. Tears start to swell as I continue to look at it.

"You may go see her now." Dr. Shepard states.

"Okay."

I put the box back in my pocket and head back in. I enter the room Emma is peacefully sleeping in. What catches me off guard is a vase of flowers with a card in it. I pick up the card and read what it says:

To: Emma

From: Dad