Chapter Thirty

I stared at her in shock and she waited patiently.

"Why do you ask?" I asked her.

"The way you two act around each other, the way he looks at you, and his arm around your waist. I know you are... how long?" she asked and I sighed. I'd have to at least tell her the truth if I wanted her to believe I was her friend. Or at least part of the truth.

"We'd been friends for a while, but it grew into a relationship after I broke it off with Ronald," I said.

"Why didn't you tell us? How could you? We warned you to stay away! He's using you Leah. You're a great witch and you're quite popular. He wants to suck up that popularity and stay on your good side," she ranted.

"Hermione, I can handle myself," I said in a calming voice.

"You hate Slytherins and the one you chose to like is Malfoy?" she shrieked.

"She likes Malfoy?" Potter yelled. I turned to see him and a few others walking through the portrait hole.

"I knew it," Weasley muttered, brushing past and running up the steps.

"How could you do that?" Potter raged.

"He isn't that bad!" I defended.

"He's screwed half the girls in this school! He's evil and hates our guts! Does that sound good to you?" he seethed.

"Yeah, it does sound good, Harry! Maybe I'm part of that half; maybe I share the same hatred!" I yelled.

"You don't mean that," Granger said quietly.

"Who are you guys to tell me who to like? Maybe I love him!" I yelled, pacing.

"Leah, no you don't," Potter said, shaking his head.

"Oh yeah? You don't know him; you just assume he's a prat because he hates you. Maybe he isn't that bad!" I said, getting angrier.

"Leah, you cant be a Slytherin who likes Gryffindor and is "in love" with Malfoy, chose a side!" Ginny butt in.

"I think my alliance is quite obvious," I sneered and she assumed I meant Gryffindor.

"You cannot be friends with Malfoy then," she said, shaking her head.

"They're not just friends...they're dating," Granger whispered.

"YOU'RE WHAT?" Potter roared.

"Harry, it's none of your business!" I yelled at him.

"He's using you Leah! He'll get what he wants and then dump you!" he yelled and everyone was staring at us. My eyes turned red. Yes, I know Draco's reputation, but I also know that he won't do this to me. I'm not a child in denial, blinded by love. I know when people are just using me.

"You're wrong," I hissed.

"Leah, I'm not wrong! You have to realize you're making a huge mistake, and I won't be your shoulder to cry on! You're just a stupid girl who was thrown into this school and then convinced you know everything! You're an idiot!" he yelled and I fell silent. The whole common room was quiet, glancing around waiting for something to happen. I forced myself to cry, but I knew if I didn't they'd think I was a heartless Slytherin. The common room door opened just as Potter stepped closer to me.

"Thanks for being such a great friend," I whispered sarcastically and then turned around to see a shocked McGonagall.

"What's going on in here?" she asked sternly, looking at the shocked faces of the other Gryffindor's, Potter's enraged face, and my tear stained face.