Chapter Three

"There is something we need to do before you begin school tomorrow," Sev said after dinner. We were currently in his classroom. I was helping him set up.

"Yes?" I set down the jar of newts eyes and turned to face him.

"Come with me," me motioned and we went into his office.

"There's someone I'd like you to meet," he said and my eyes were drawn to the person sitting behind Sev's desk.

"Hello..." I said, eyes flickering between the two of them. The other man grinned at me and put his feet up on the desk.

"Hello, Miss Loveland," he said.

"This is Barty Crouch Jr."

"I thought you were in Azkaban," I frowned.

"I was. Got myself out," he said, twirling his wand.

"What's going on?" I turned to Sev.

"We need your help, darling. 'We' meaning the Death Eaters," Barty said.

"The Death Eaters? You guys want...me?"

"That we do," he nodded.

"Why?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Severus here has told us all about your enthusiasm and incredible abilities. Says you're the best witch he's ever met. We thought he was simply showing favoritism until he showed us through a pensive how powerful you truly are. Along with that, your parents were Voldemort's most trusted followers. We feel that you could be useful."

"Useful for what?"

"We have a plan to bring Voldemort back," Barty said.

"Bring him back? He's dead and gone, you cannot raise the dead. It's impossible," I said in shock.

"You only think he's dead, dearie," Barty grinned.

"He's alive, but just barely. We have a plan in mind," Severus gestured to himself and Barty.

"You see I'm going to be a teacher here this year. I'm posing as Alastor Moody, an auror for the Ministry. This year, though the students are not aware of it yet, Hogwarts is hosting the Triwizard Tournament. I trust you know what that is?"

I nodded slowly.

"Well, we're going to enchant the Goblet of Fire to spit out two extra names; Harry Potter's and hopefully yours. You two will compete in the tournament and at the very end, the champions cup will be a portkey to the location of the Dark Lord's return. We need both you and Potter there for reasons we will not yet disclose."
"This is..." I frowned.

"You do not have to take the mark yet, if that's a concern of yours. But, we need you. You're a strong enough witch to compete in the tournament and actually stand a chance. If you agree to do this, however, you will have to befriend Potter. That is key. He'll need to trust you during the tournament."

"This is a lot to thrust upon me," I said.

"Does your alliance stand with the Death Eaters?" Barty asked.

"It does..."

"Well, there you go. No time like the present to join us," he laughed.

"I don't understand, I'm just a child. Why me?"

"We need someone who can be on the inside. Certainly a professor can't get as close to Harry as you can. As I said before, you're powerful. You're the perfect candidate."

"Leah, it won't interfere with school work, either. I know how you are at being the best in everything. I've already taught you everything you'll need to know for your fourth year, and I won't make you do any of the assignments I give. I would rather you focus on the task; I know you can do everything I'll be teaching anyway," Severus chimed in.