Chapter Twenty-Four

The common room was empty as I ran around, trying to get ready for dinner. It's only been a day since Fenrir took the love potion, but the day had been so chaotic it felt like a lifetime. And of course, now I couldn't find my shoes anywhere. Thinking back, the last place I had them on was the Gryffindor common room. Oh no. I took them off in the common room and left them there. I came back barefoot to get something and forgot. I looked down at my still bare feet and sighed. Walking out the common room door, I made my way up the stairs. I wasn't even halfway up, when I heard Pansy's scream, making me turn sharply.

I heard something snap, but didn't feel anything until I moved. I only took a step when I felt a sharp agonizing pain in my right ankle. I fell to the ground and gasped. Oh my dear sweet wizard God. All I could manage to do was hiss in pain, and tears stung my eyes. I grabbed my ankle and cried out when I touched it.  

"Is anyone there?" I asked, trying to say it loudly, but it came out breathless. I felt the need to scream, but didn't want to seem weak or dramatic. Everyone would be at dinner, and I'd be here in pain until they were done. I could try fixing it with magic, but I'm not entirely sure what I did. This certainly never happened before. I looked around and saw a cat bounding down the stairs. It was fairly large and was running towards me. I smiled a little but it was short-lived as the cat barreled over my ankle, twisting it more. I screamed, unable to control it, and took a deep breath.

"Oh god," I sobbed. This is not like me. I wiped away the tears and gritted my teeth against the pain as I tried getting up. I managed to stand up but took a few steps and my left foot slipped through the false stair. I fell down and groaned. I put my head in my hands and closed my eyes. A few moments in my peaceful silence, my stomach growled.

"Great," I muttered to myself. I heard footsteps and saw a shadow from the floor below.

"Hello?" I called. The footsteps became faster and I saw a blonde head of hair appear. Then his grey eyes turned to me.

"Leah, where have you been?" Draco asked, running up.

"Well, I was looking for my shoes and realized they were in the Gryffindor common room, so I came up here. I heard Pansy scream so I turned around quickly, something snapped, and the next thing I knew, I was on the ground in pain."

"Where does it hurt?" he asked, kneeling down.

"My right ankle," I said and then gasped as he touched my ankle.

"Don't!" I snapped. He pulled his hand back and I saw him frowning deeply.

"What?" I asked worriedly.

"I think you broke your ankle," he said. I groaned and held out my hand so he could help me up.

"I don't think you'll be able to get up that way," he sighed. I frowned and he put one arm around the middle of my back, and the other under my knees.

"Ready?" he asked and I frowned.

"What are you doing?" I asked, but he just laughed and stood up with me in his arms. I gasped in surprise and from the pain of my ankle moving.

"Are you okay?" he asked. I nodded and he started slowly making his way down the stairs.

"Why did Pansy scream?" I asked into the silence.

"An owl swooped down and almost hit her in the head," he chuckled.

"I broke my ankle for that?" I snapped.

"Calm down," he laughed. I crossed my arms and glared at the wall.

"Mr. Malfoy, what are you doing?" I heard someone ask from behind us. Draco turned around and I saw McGonagall walking towards us. Why can't I ever come up here without a teacher confronting me?

"Leah broke her ankle, professor," he explained and she frowned.

"How did you come to this conclusion?" she asked, though I'm pretty sure she knew the answer. I snorted and rolled my eyes.

"Because it hurts worse than a Cruciatus curse," I scowled. She narrowed her eyes and pursed her lips.

"And you would know this because?" she asked in that insane skeptical voice that made me wanna punch the wall. I looked down and then glared.

"I've had my fair share," I muttered. Her eyes widened in surprise and she quickly walked over, inspecting my ankle.

"It's swelling rather quickly, perhaps you were correct. Luckily, I can fix it," she said taking out her wand.

"Episky," she said clearly and I felt my ankle snap into place.

"Shit!" I yelped and then winced. I moved my ankle around, and sure enough, it was fixed. I knew that spell, yet for some reason didn't think to use it. I feel stupid.

"Thank you, professor," I said, twirling my ankle some more.

"Your welcome Miss Loveland, now I suggest the two of you get down to dinner," she huffed, looking at us curiously. I realized I was still being carried by Draco and I was supposed to hate him.

"Alright Malfoy, put me down," I glared. He rolled his eyes but did as I said. I stood tall and looked at my feet which were getting cold.

"Now, I need to find my shoes," I sighed and started walking up the steps. McGonagall nodded and turned, giving Draco a sharp look. I watched her walk away and I hurried back over to Draco.

"Thanks for attempting to carry me to the infirmary," I smirked.

"No problem, Leah. I'm glad your ankles fixed," he chuckled. I smiled and kissed his cheek quickly. He was a little shocked but smiled brightly at me.

"Leah?" I heard someone ask in surprise. I turned around to see the one and only Ron Weasley looking at us in shock.