Chapter Forty-Two

Detention. Why is it that I always seem to be getting detention?

"Ms. Loveland is it really a bother to wear your uniform?" Dumbledore asked as Clarissa and I walked in.

"Yes," I nodded. He sighed and conjured two seats.

"Now, I want you two to tell me why you hate one another," he said.

"Well, she's always pushing my buttons, threatening me. She thinks I'm jealous of her, and that I want Draco back. I don't," I glared at her.

"Leah is a blood traitor, that's all I have to say," she sneered.

"Excuse me, I am not!" I snapped.

"Yeah, you are. You're dating the Weasley kid," she spat.

"We aren't dating," I corrected.

"Oh, then why was he so upset when I told him that Draco gave you that ring, and you wear it because you love him?" she asked smugly.

"First, Draco didn't give me this ring, second he was probably upset because he likes me!" I said rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, he did. I overheard you and your little posse talking. Parkinson gushing over Draco giving you that ring like a giggly little school girl."

"First of all we are literally school girls, so I don't know what you were trying to do with that insult," I snorted.

"Regardless, next thing I knew, Draco didn't have that little wrapped box anymore, and you're wearing a Slytherin ring," she said.

"He sent the box to his mother! This ring wasn't from Draco, it was from my grandmother." 

"Prove it!" she snapped.

"I can't!"

"Why?"

"She's dead. I don't have any family. They're either dead or have disowned me, so I don't know what you want from me here, Moon."

She was silent for a moment.

"No family?" she asked finally.

"No," I said between gritted teeth.

"O-oh," she mumbled.

"Um, I'm...sorry," she said, shaking her head. I waved her off, not wanting her apology or pity.

"It seems we've come to an understanding," Dumbledore said softly.

"I didn't mean what I said. About you being a Blood Traitor," she sighed.

"I don't care what you call me," I shrugged.

"Don't you have something to say in return, Miss Loveland?" Dumbledore looked at me over the rim of his glasses.

"I'm sorry for almost killing you," I sighed.

"It's fine. I guess I deserved it," she nodded.

"See how easy that was?" Dumbledore smiled.

"You girls may return to your dorm," he allowed and we walked back, making small, awkward conversation. But we managed not to insult each other, so it was a start.

DECEMBER 20th

Pansy's lucky ass already has a date for the ball. I have to admit, I'm shocked I don't have a date yet. Sure I've been asked, but not by anyone I want to go with. I thought I had more admirers, but I guess I was wrong. 

Pansy and I were in the common room, making alterations to our dresses. I had mine on at the moment, letting Pansy pin it where it needed to be hemmed.