Chapter Fifty-Three

I pulled on my black sweater and scarf over my bathingsuit, and then put on sweatpants. I also put a charm on my hair so it wouldn't get wet, and then walked into the common room.

"So, are you excited?" Pansy smiled.

"Kind of nervous, but yes also excited," I smiled.

We began heading down to the lake. We were a bit early, as the champions had to be, and I decided I wanted Pansy to stand and wait with me seeing as Draco still hasn't shown up.

"What if Draco misses the task?" I asked as we froze to death.

"He wouldn't miss it for the world," she promised, and I nodded, hoping she was right. We got into a boat and it started taking us over to the stands where Potter, Fleur, Viktor, Aleksandr, Cedric, and the judges were waiting.

"Oh you brought a friend too," I smiled at Viktor, walking up.

"Are you considering Parkinson a friend?" Potter asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Needed someone," I shrugged and he turned away.

"Oh, Professor McGonagall!" I called as she stepped off a boat.

"Yes, Ms. Loveland?" she asked.

"Have you seen Draco? He's been missing since you spoke with him last night."

"I'm sure he'll be here shortly," she nodded.

"Weren't you guys fighting the last time I saw you?" Potter asked in surprise.

"That was solved almost immediately," I waved a hand dismissively. 

"You're gonna crawl back to him again?" he asked in outrage.

"Mind your own business," I scowled.

"Relationships are difficult," Fleur defended me.

"He's an ass and he doesn't deserve her!" he snapped and I groaned in frustration.

"Potter drop it!" Pansy sneered and we all fell silent. I braced myself against the cold and then shrugged off my sweater, seeing people arrive.

 I took off everything but my sweatpants. I felt the cool air nip at my arms and feet, but I embraced it. My dark hair swirled around my face in the wind, and more people started crowding around, but I centered myself, ready to face whatever was in the Black Lake. I didn't pay attention to anything that went on, so I don't know if Draco ever came, but I did feel Pansy jab me in the side with her finger.

"What?" I asked, snapping back to reality.

"Almost starting time, might wanna ditch the pants," she offered.

The judges lined up and Dumbledore gave a speech, naturally. I saw Potter swallow something that looked absolutely disgusting and then the cannon sounded. I ran and jumped off the edge, concentrating intently until I felt the gills form and the relief of breathing in oxygen even though I was underwater. Thank Merlin I was able to pull that off.

I took a shuddering breath and dove deeper, assuming whatever I had to find was at the bottom. It was dark and cold, but I was shocked that nothing exciting seemed to be happening. I had to maneuver between what looked like seaweed and scare off a few schools of fish, but nothing intense.

Of course, I should have known better. I screamed as something sprung onto my back, pulling me down. I franctically grabbed it, throwing the little monster in front of me and blasting it with my wand. It slowly sank to the bottom, and suddenly I was flocked. I threw spells left and right, fighting off the creatures when I realized someone else was helping. I looked over and saw Fleur shooting spells, but then she was grabbed and pulled downwards. She disappeared before I could help, so I had no other choice but to move on. Eventually, I came to six long ropes held down by rocks, and I looked up to see something floating on each one. I swam upwards and found that they were people.

I heard mermaids singing and speaking to one another, but so far I couldn't see any.

I examined each person; Weasley, Cho, Granger, I'm assming a Beauxbaton girl...and Draco. I narrowed my eyes and cursed McGonagall in my head. Draco was unconscious and lazily floating in front of me, so I took out my wand and shot a slicing spell at the rope. Viktor swam up as I was beginning to pull Draco towards the surface, and bit off Hermione's rope with his shark teeth. I swam as fast as I could so I could finish first. I broke the surface and people cheered as I transfigured back. Draco woke up and gasped for air in the cold water while I laughed with excitement. Draco took my arm and frowned.

"Did you win?" he asked, shivering and I smiled even brighter when Viktor came up with Hermione.

"Barely," I nodded and he smiled. We started swimming in, and I was helped out of the water by Draco, who had climbed out first.

"Congratulations!" he hugged me tightly and I enjoyed the shared body heat.

"Thank you! I thought you'd ditched me or something," I frowned and he smiled.

"Why would I do that?" he asked, quickly pecking me on the lips.

"Leah, you won again!" Pansy shrieked, coming up with a towel. Viktor and Granger climbed out and were talking quietly, shivering from the cold. 

"I told you he'd arrive soon," McGonagall gave me a wry smile and I laughed.

"I was simply worried about my boyfriend."

Potter scoffed at my comment; he had climbed out of the water maybe five minutes after the hour mark after cheating and saving two of them instead of just Weasley. I'm sure his adoring fans will count that as extra points.

"Is there a problem?" I asked with a glare.

"Leah, do you not realize I don't want you to be with him?" he asked angrily.

"Who exactly do you want me to be with?" I snapped and he took a deep breath and I saw fire flash in his eyes.

"Me!" he blurted and I looked at him for a while.

"I'm sorry, Harry," I lied, making my voice apologetic.

Potter looked away and I sighed, walking over to the edge of the water to check my reflection. I shrieked and swatted a beetle out of my hair so it fell into the water.

"Gross," said Pansy, scrunching up her nose.

"I might have to burn my hair off now," my facial expression mirrored hers.

"The scores are in!" announced Dumbledore, his voice magnified.

"In fifth place, Fleur Delacore!" he said, and Granger smiled.

"She never got past zee Grindylows!" she said, mimicking Fleur's accent.

"Fourth place goes to Cedric Digorry!" he said. Of course, Potter didn't get penalized for finishing late. Privileged asshole.

"Third place is Viktor Krum!" he said, and I swear if Potter beats me out for being 'heroic' I'll kill him.

"Second place...Harry Potter!" and an enormous cheer erupted through the stands. Potter smiled and Granger congratulated him as Weasley blushed from Fleur's thank you kiss.

"And in first place, Leah Loveland!" he said, and I smiled in joy as an uproar louder than Potter's filled the air. I waved to the Slytherin's, who were cheering, stomping, clapping and screaming. Blaise hurried down the steps and picked me up, spinning me around in celebration. Unfortunately, he lost his footing and we fell into the water. He pulled us up to the surface and I started coughing in between laughs, my lungs trying to get rid of the water I just inhaled. Soon enough, all the Slytherins were in the water, leaving our professors flustered. Draco smirked and grabbed Pansy, throwing her in the water next to Blaise and me.

She screamed as the cold water hit her, but soon we were all hugging and laughing like crazy.

"Ms. Loveland...Malfoy...Parkinson!" McGonagall yelled, flustered by our 'outrageous' behavior.

"Moon...Zabini...all of you get out this instant! Nott, that behavior is unacceptable!" she ordered and I rolled my eyes. We grudgingly got out and Madame Pomfrey fussed over the shivering, wet students. The Gryffindor's looked at us in distaste, and the Ravenclaws were looking at us in shock. Hufflepuff's, being Hufflepuff's, laughed along with us.

I felt my arm burn and knew I'd have to go see father soon, but I was enjoying the company of my friends and knew he could wait a few moments longer while I celebrated my victory.