Something New

Niall's POV:

My alarm went off for my first class. I groaned and switched my phone off.
I closed my eyes and tried to resume sleeping.

I heard Blake getting dressed and felt him hit me with a pillow.

"Get up, you're gonna be late." He said with a raised voice.

"Yep, that's the plan." I murmured into my pillow.

"Come on bro, seriously. We have to go."

"I'm not going." I turned my pillow around and rested my head back down.

"Suit yourself." He replied and walked out..

I repositioned myself in my bed and tried to clear my mind of all thoughts. When that didn't work, I resorted to the numbness of sleep.

Cara's POV:

I've been anticipating seeing Niall and confronting him but I hadn't seen him all day.

At lunch, I walk over to where Jess and Blake are sitting wearing a smile.

"What are you all smiley about?" Jess asked, noticing my lightened mood.

I shrug my shoulders, "this day has just been more pleasant that I expected it to be." I said, sitting down.

She raised her eyebrows then scrunched them, she must've realized why I was so happy. "Where's Niall?" Jess asked, turning to Blake.

"Oh, I guess he just wanted to sleep in. I thought he would be up by now though.." Blake replied and took a bite out of his sandwich.

Jess gave me a questioning look. I looked down and busied myself with my apple, as if I hadn't been paying much attention.

"Maybe you should go talk to him, Cara." Jess suggested. She must be worried too because she'd never suggest me do that.

"Why me? He's Blake's friend." I ask uninterested.

"He might talk to you." Blake said through another bite of his sandwich.

I shook my head, denying his statement. "He hates me."

"Well I'm his best friend and he didn't tell me anything. Maybe he needs someone he hates?" He reasoned.

"Why is Niall acting like such a baby." I got up and made my way to his room. I knocked lightly on his door.

"Niall," I say loudly at the door and knock again, "I know your in there, Niall." I add, hoping I wasn't wrong.

"Go away." I heard.

"Come on, Niall let me in." I tried again, knocking persistently until I my fist wasn't hitting the door anymore. kept knocking on the door. He stood there in a white pair of Calvin Kleins.

"What do you want?" He asked, his face drooped as if the force of gravity had an extra pull on him. Bags hung low under his eyes, deep and dark.

"What is this Niall?"

"My dorm?" He replied dumbly.

"No, I mean, what is this? You. Here. Skipping classes and lectures. Sleeping in."

"I'm taking a sick day." He replied.

"Are you?" I retorted.

"What are you trying to say?" He asks leaning against the door frame.

"I'm-" I stutter, "I'm trying to say I'm worried about you- we're worried about you."

"What are you all worried about?" He asked monotonously. "I'm fine." He says walking into the room and sitting on his bed.

I sigh exasperated and follow him in, closing the door behind me. "Seriously, Niall what's going on?"

"I dunno. I don't recognize this-" he pauses struggling to find the correct words, "thing that's happening to me. It's like this twinge or something in the pit of my stomach an-and its like my chest collapses into itself and I just- I don't know. It's weird I just I've never experienced anything like it but I," he pauses and bites his bottom lip as he thinks, "I like it, I like you." he says turning to me.

I turn to the wall in front of me, avoiding looking at him. "Niall, I-"

"You don't like me in that way?" He finishes.

I don't deny him. "It's just, I know what your talking about. I feel it too but I don't want to."

He huffs to himself and smiles, which quickly fades.

"I'm sorry. It's just the thought of me being with someone like you, someone who jumps around aimlessly from girl to girl." I lick my lips, "it terrifies me."

"But I'm not going to do that anymore. I'm done with that, all of it."

"Niall, I can't." I say, keeping my defense up. "I don't understand. I thought one night stands were your thing?"

"If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got; and while what I've got had its perks, I'm looking for something different now."

I scoff, "where'd you get that?"

"TV show." He admits, "but still, I'm looking for something real, something new."

"I just. No, Niall. I'm sorry." I say simply looking back at him.

"...okay..." He replied.

"We need to go to class, get dressed." I said.

"I'm not going."

"Niall, please. You could get expelled."

"We pay for the classes? The Dean won't care. Plus why does it even matter? I don't have a future in being a lawyer anyway."

"Yes you do. You're also the basketball captain and you'll worry your friends."

"...fine." He stood up and put a t-shirt, jeans and shoes on, not bothering to fix his hair.

I walked with him to French class when we saw the dean walking towards us. I mentally cursed and continued walking.

"Niall Horan. You haven't been to any classes today. Why is that?" He asked, stopping us.

"I was feeling a bit under the weather," he glances at me, "but I'm ok now, sir."

"Why aren't you at class?" He turned to me.

We pay for our classes so why do they care so much?

"Um," I stutter, "I went to go check on Niall."

"What he does has nothing to do with you, don't let his behaviour affect you. Go to class." He ordered.

I shifted my eyes at Niall before resuming down the hallway. I turn around as soon as I pass the Dean and see him scolding a rather uninterested looking Niall.

He finally sauntered into French class, strands of his hair shooting out in random directions, grabbing the attention of basically every girl in class' attention.

"Sorry I'm late, I was talking to the Dean." He said and sat beside his friend Justin.