Chapter 28

(Key Words: (Y/f/n) = Your friend's name, (Y/b/f) = Your boyfriend)

-----------------------------------------

2016 (Y/n) Beginning Fall

"Alone.......on my birthday." You sigh, petting Pippin's head. A knock brought you out of your thoughts and you answered to see you best friend. "Happy Birthday!" You chuckled a little bit. "Hey, (Y/f/n)." They grinned, pulling to your kitchen table. "Why so gloomy? It's your birthday, you know what? You're lucky you have me BECAUSE I will never let my best friend be alone on her birthday."

You watched them place a small (fav.cake flavor) cake on the table, along with a small wrapped gift. Your best friend began to sing out of tune really loudly, scaring Pippin' which now you laughed. "(Y/f/n), calm down. It's no big deal about my birthday. It's just time passing."

They stared at you, then sat down pulling you in a hug and chuckled a bit. "Of course it is. You know, you keep a lot to yourself, don't you?" You shrugged, hugging back and sighed as (y/f/n) still talked. "There's nothing wrong with that, but........I always wonder what else you have in your life besides work and me, of course."

You shook your head, still in thought. "It's just.....(Y/b/f) and I got mad at each other again." Your best friend sighed. "He tried to get you back, didn't he? Well he's not worth it." It got quiet until (y/f/n) broke it. "Who do you write to anyway? I overheard one of your doctor friends talking about you writing on break."

A smile immediately spread on your face, which surprised (Y/f/n). "I......actually do have something other than you and work....someone."

"Tell me, it's a guy."

You smiled more with hint of blush on your cheeks. "Well.....yeah, I guess you can say it's a long distant relationship."

"When did you meet?"

Your eyes stared into space. "We haven't. i always kept everything at a distance.....everyone. Even (Y/b/f). Though......the one guy I want to meet, I can't meet."

(Y/f/n) seen your face fall and seemed a bit broken. "The one I want to give my heart to. Smart, funny, kind, even caring....." You laughed breathlessly, dazily. "Such a dork." Yep. You were in love with him and you didn't realize until now.

"No.......you're in love with a guy that's IN PRISON!"

You pushed (Y/f/n) off the chair, blushing madly. "NO! He's not in prison, what the heck, (Y/f/n)? He's just a guy who lives on a lake and is a student at technology school!" Your friend was laugh on the floor. "I'm joking! Calm down." They sat up to cut your cake while you laughed a bit, only for a thought to flash in your mind like you remembered something.

"Oh my gosh." You whispered in disbelief.