Chapter 9

*Maya*

So, I met Grayson and honestly, he's such a sweetheart. Hes very friendly and adorable with his brown eyes and brown hair. Hes pretty built as well, but he had a girlfriend. I guess we can be friends instead. Right?

Anyways, after Grayson left, Lucas and I made our way around the event. It was on the beach and it was really nice. There wae a carnival near by that I loved but Lucas didn't know what it was. So, I decided to take him before I had to sing.

We first went on the slide. I absolutely loved that slide. I always felt young, wild and free. It was the best. At one point, Lucas got really scared because the slide was so high up and very long, so he asked to hold my hand and without any regrets I let him. It was kind of weird but I adjusted to it quickly. We slid down the slide like it was the last thing we'd ever be able to do. Honestly, I think I had more fun on that slide with Lucas than with Riley and Farkle.

Then we got some cotton candy and decided to play some games. We played ring toss and Lucas won me a giant panda. Pandas were my favorite animal ever. They were just adorable.

I thanked him and he smiled and I smiled.

You ever get that feeling where if someone smiles, you also want to smile? Well, Lucas gave off that vibe and I loved that about him. I knew we were going to be good friends. Or maybe something even more? Who knows?

-

Later in the day, Lucas got a text from Grayson saying they needed Maya to come in 25 minutes. So we made our way back to the beach.

Along the way, Lucas startes asking me questions.

"Have you ever loved someone so hard and then they just left within a couple of seconds?"

That was random. I guess he's had experience with that and it was on his mind.

"Yeah. Actually a lot. I fell in love with Riley's Uncle Josh. Hes only like a year and a half older than me. But we started dating for around 2 or 3 years and then he left me for someone else. Worst part is: i loved him and he dumped me via text message" I guess I looked angry and sad so Lucas stopped me and pulled me into a hug

"You need this, don't you?" he whispered softly.

"Yes" I said, crying a little bit. Talking about Josh only made me think of how much I missed him and how much he broke my heart.

"Now, dry your eyes and go sing for these people and mke sure to shine today, it'll be worth it. Do you trust me?"

"Yes. Always and forever"

I dried my eyes and walked up to Grayson.

"Okay, I'm ready to sing"

"Great, great. Now, heres how things are going to work: you sing and people donate based on how much they liked it. Usually, they'll give in $5-$10. And hopefully they love you and will donate. Understand?"

"Understood. Whats the charity for?"

"We are giving all of our donations to cancer research. I lost my father to cancer and I want them to find a cure before someone looses someone they love"

"Aw. Im sorry for your loss. I lost my mom to cancer and its the worst thing that ever happened to me"

"Im sorry for your loss. But the show must go on and our parents might not have wanted us to grieve over them"

"Well said, Grayson. Okay ill start warming up my voice and practicing the strings on my guitar"

"Okay, break a leg"

I laughed. "Thank you"

-

I tried looking for Lucas because for some reason I got nervous. I finally found him and asked him to sit in the front row and he agreed.

He took his seat in the front row and the event was about to start. Surprisingly, there were a lot of people in the audience. I got nervous but glanced over at Lucas, who was smiling really big. He gave me a thumbs up and mouthed "You can do this". And so I took his word.

I took my guitar out of its case and put it over me. I strumeed a couple of strings and took a deep breath in.

You can do this.

I walked out onto the stage and looked over at everyone and smiled.

"How's everyone doing today?" I yelled into the microphone.

They all replied, "Good"

"So, my name is Maya Hart and I'll be singing three songs today. 'Show You', 'The Weight' and 'Stitches'. I lost my mom to cancer so i think its important that we all support finding a cure for cancer. I agreed to this to show awareness and to support cancer patients. Thank you"

Everyone clapped and i started strumming my guitar.

You can't walk the streets at night
You're way too short to get on this ride
No I'm not, no I'm not, you tryna tell me that I
I gotta be home when the street lights glow?
You can't watch your TV show
I will watch what I wanna watch
No, won't listen to you, do what I wanna do

And I will walk this road ahead
One hundred miles on my hands
Do I need to show you?
Guess I gotta show you
And if you don't believe me now
I'll flip the whole world upside down
Do I need to show you?
Guess I gotta show you

Watch me swim across this lake
Fly through the sky in my Superman cape
Watch me walk across this wire
Tip-toe through the coals of a blazing fire
Watch me fly this kite in the rain
I'll jump rope with my ball and chain
Come by and knock on my house of cards
If it falls I'll rebuild it from the start
I won't listen to you, do what I wanna do

And I will walk this road ahead
One hundred miles on my hands
Do I need to show you?
Guess I gotta show you
And if you don't believe me now
I'll flip the whole world upside down
Do I need to show you?
Guess I gotta show you

Do I really gotta show you now? Really, really, really, gotta show you now?
Do I really gotta spell it out? I-T, I spell it out
If you really wanna see me now? Watch me walk across the clouds
I don't know what you heard about, listen to me yell it loud
Do I really gotta show you now? Really, really, really, gotta show you now?
Do I really gotta spell it out? I-T, I spell it out
If you really wanna see me now? Watch me walk across the clouds
I don't know what you heard about, see that door I'll knock it down

And I will walk this road ahead
Hundred miles on my hands
Do I need to show you?
Guess I gotta show you
And if you don't believe me now
I'll flip the whole world upside down
And do I need to show you?
Guess I gotta show you

Do I really gotta show you now? Really, really, really, gotta show you now?
Do I really gotta spell it out? I-T, I spell it out
If you really wanna see me now? Watch me walk across the clouds
Do I need to show you? Guess I gotta show you

Everyone stood up and cheered. They actually loved me. I looked over at Lucas and be cheered and clapped the loudest.

'One down, two more to go'