Chapter 26: Xander's Secret

Emma's POV:
We hugged each for like 3 minutes or something. I never was this close to him before.

Xander pulled back.

"Emma, um..." He paced back and forth on the grass.

"Yeah? Do you have something on your mind?"

"I-I just think you should know something... About me." He mumbled, avoiding eye-contact.

"Xander, if you feel uncomfortable saying it, you don't have to. Really. Don't think just because I told you something important from me that you have to do the same." I smiled at him to make him feel better.

"No. I can't hold this in me any longer. And no one know it in camp. Except for Gladys" he replied, now looking at me. Xander took one of my hands. I guess he felt kind of save, then.

I just looked at him, afraid of what would come out of his mouth now.

Then Xander began.

"You may know me as always smiling and kind Xander, do you? I'm never really in a bad mood."

I slowly nodded. Okay, he was in a bad mood when Caleb was around me but, in general he's the most kindest and heart-warmed person I know. He continued.

"Well, I wasn't all happy and good in the past. In middle school for example, and the first two years in High School, too. I... I counted to the, you know, bad boys."

What the? Bad boys? No, this can't be true, I mean, he's my smiling Xandy. Not a... Bad boy!

My jaw dropped. Literally. I looked at him, shocked.

"Xander... What-" I got interrupted by him.

"Please, let me finish. Anyways, I hang out with the wrong people. And with wrong people, I mean wrong people. My grades got worse, I mean I was a good B+ student at the start but-"

"What's the main reason? Why did you hang out with them?" I asked, quietly. He was hurt, all his memories from the past must have came back. Poor Xander!

"My... My dad had a alcohol problem. He never loved me. At least he has never showed that. My mom, she is the kindest woman I know. But she left after the alcohol problem of my father got worse." He spoke.

"Why didn't she take you with her? Wait, I'm asking too many questions. I'm sorry, you can stop if you want." I touched his cheek with my hand. His face was warm, almost hot and red.

"No, I want you to know. Please." Xander's voice cracked, and I can tell he even had tears in his eyes. He raised his hand up and covered it over mine and let a quick, yet tired smile appear on his face.

"My mom didn't take me with her, because my dad didn't allow her to. He wanted me with him, so I could to the chores, cook and all that stuff. My mom always did that, and I could see how depressed she was. I was kinda too. That's the reason why my grades dropped, and I hang out with the bad boys. I got mad really fast, and jealous. I was a mess." He breathed out, sighing.

"Xander..." Was all I could say.

"My teachers recognized it. It was untypical for me to beat others or call them names. When I lived, or more live, with my father, I automatically changed. To him."
I heard a sob. It almost broke my heart to see him like this.

"Xander. You are not like your dad, okay?" I rubbed his back.

"T-They sent me here to change myself again. To good. And I'm so thankful for being here. To be away from this man who treats me like trash. This is my third summer now. And I made super special friends here, who I can always count on. Like you, Emma." Xander smiled at me, and I could see that he was broken but at the same time happy.

"I'm glad you're here, Xander. You're not your dad, and you do not deserve it to get treated like trash, did you get that?" I hugged him, tight. He really needed that.

"I don't want to go back, Em. I don't want to see him. I'm afraid of the summer ending. Every time." He sobbed into my hair.

"The summer just started. And we will make the best of it, okay? You and I will search a solution. And then go to your dad. Maybe your mom can take you to her, then? Or you can come live with us? I'm sure we have got a room for you." I squeezed his hand and kissed him on the cheek.

"You think this will work? E-Emma I don't want you to get into this whole drama. You wouldn't stand this." He replied, unsure.

"Everything for you, Xandy Candy." I made him chuckle.

"And now, let's not think about this. This camp is here to have fun." I whipped my tears away and started walking.

"You're right. Thank you, Emma. For everything." He smiled at me for a long time.

"The last one at lunch is a lazy reptile!" I shouted and began to run towards the cafeteria.

"I'm faster!" I heard him shouting and laughing, full of joy again. This was the Xander I know. Always happy, funny and charming. This was the real Xander.

A/n: Literally sobbing while I wrote this! Poor Xandy Candy! Guys: There will be a Halloween chapter of my "Xemma" ff, coming up on the 31st October! LY!