Metalhead

We were all looking at the robot made. Mikey was making expression toward it.

“Isn’t it cool?” Donnie asked. “I reversed engineered it from the Kraang droid.”

“Why?” I asked.

“It’s for wimps to scared to fight.” Raph concluded.

“No,” Donnie said. “It’s for wimps to smart to fight. I mean…”

Mikey then started banging its head then turned to us, “Let’s call it Metalhead! Why you ask? Because it has a head and it’s made of met--”

“We get it.” Leo interrupted.

“I don’t need a toaster to fight my battles.” Raph snapped.

I turned and left them to argue over it. Walking in the kitchen, I saw Naomi practicing with her new staff. She seemed happy with it, yet her movements seemed unfocused and irregular.

Walking up to her, she stopped and retracted the staff smaller then turned to look at me. She seemed a little out of it. Did I really hurt her feelings that bad?

“Why?” she asked.

I tilted my head, “‘Why’ what?”

She looked at the small staff before enlarging it again and rubbing her fingers down it smoothly. Without looking at me, she said, “Why did you have to eavesdrop?”

“On what?” I tried to play dumb.

Then she looked at me. “I know you were listening to me and Mii-wa, but I didn’t want to say anything. You’ll learn soon enough.” she looked away as she heard banging and screaming coming from the opposite room. “And I know you’re curious about what happened in that tunnel.”

“Who wouldn’t be?” I asked. “Raph’s avoiding you, and you’re acting all out of whack.”

Her blue eyes dug into me. “You said earlier that I don’t seem to be the type that comes up and hugs who I love.” I nodded, remembering that night. “Well, instead of hugging Raph like you did to Mikey, I kissed him.”

“What?!” I exclaimed. “You did what?!”

“I wasn’t really meaning to!” she snapped, putting her staff parallel to her arm. “It just happened…” then she explained what went on with a soft whisper. “Now that you know that, you’ll learn my other secrets in time.”

“In time?” I repeated. “Why in time? Why not now?”

“You’re impatient.” Naomi said simply. “That’s why.”

I looked at her. “Why didn’t you tell me before I thought you were a spy?”

“Because I let you think what you wanted. I still do because you’re my partner and I care more about you than you think. That’s why I also keep things from you.”

“Understandable.” I shrugged.

Naomi retracted her staff and looked out toward the main room, “And now I think Donnie wants to take Metalhead for a spin.”

“How’d you know…?” I started but cut off because she glanced at me.

Naomi headed out and kept the mini staff in her hand as she started off. Everyone glanced at her before following. Raph came second and then me, Mikey, Leo, Donnie’s Metalhead.

We went up and as we tried to stay silent, Metalhead kept making clanging noises as it ran to keep up. The last time, Leo slapped his forehead.

“Should we double back?” he asked. “I think there’s a car alarm we didn’t set off.”