Nightly Issues

Sensei got up and walked over to us, looking at both of us with our heads down. She smiled, “You’re no longer grounded.”

“Wait,” Naomi said, looking up, “what?”

“I said you’re no longer grounded.”

“Why?” I asked.

“You helped someone. I don’t think you need me to stop you for that.” Sensei explained. “You did very good. I assume you saved this Mikey?”

“Yeah.” I blushed.

Naomi looked at me and shook her head.

“You’re free to go out tomorrow.” Sensei smiled. “Now I’ll be heading out.”

“Aye, Sensei.” Naomi and I bowed.

“Get some sleep, though.”

We both bowed and Naomi poofed to her room because I turned to tell her about Mikey and she wasn’t there.

I walked into her room and saw her staring at the ceiling. She paid no heed when I walked in. “Can I sleep here tonight?” I asked.

“I’m not going to ask why, but sure.” Naomi said, turning to the wall to sleep.

I put my weapons beside hers and curled up beside her. It was a really awkward silence, so I decided to poke her. It took a few times before Naomi rolled over and glared with her blue eyes.

“What?” she snapped.

“I know you want to talk to me about Mikey.” I said.

“Yes, but I’m trying to sleep.”

“But I wanna talk now.”

“Fine.” Naomi said. “Why’d you hug Mikey after the fight?”

I shrugged. “It just seemed appropriate.”

Naomi blinked. “That’s it?”

“Yeah. And the fact that I like him.”

“And yet you didn’t see me go up and hug Raph, did you?”

“No…”

“And why do you think that is?” Naomi looked at me questioningly.

Thinking, I shrugged, “You just seem like the type that doesn’t go and do that.” I smiled.

She blinked, looked away from my eyes as if in thought then shrugged and nodded, understanding what I said a little.. “I get that… But still.”

“But I really didn’t think that through.”

“Didn’t think so.” Naomi sighed, closing her eyes. “Now good night.”

“Don’t you mean good morning?” I smiled.

Even without her eyes open, she can really nail an annoyed expression. I saw her fist clench as well so I flipped over to sleep. I wasn’t comfortable so I laid on my back. That wasn’t comfortable either so I flipped on my belly, then my left side, right side, then belly again.

“Would you stop moving?” Naomi snapped.

That made me jump. “I thought you were asleep!”

She opened her eyes and looked at me. “I don’t sleep very easily when someone is rolling nonstop beside me.”

“Naomi?” I asked.

“What?” she sighed.

“How are you silent about everything? Like you can at one place then be somewhere else entirely. And then you act like a shadow during the most crucial moments. How?”

She was silent as she stared into my eyes. I couldn’t read anything in those eyes. She was just a mystery to me at most times. Blinking slowly, she rolled over. I watched her for a while before getting comfortable and sleeping.