Ice Cream

We moved the sewer plate out of the way and we stepped out. I instantly heard something blaring in the distance, a rotting smell, and grey all around. My head popped out and looked around.

“Hey!” Naomi said from below me. She pushed me out. “At least hurry! There’s another turtle waiting for you. Whoa!”

“Keep it down.” I said.

“Sorry.” she sighed. “But this is amazing!”

“No, duh, Naomi.” I muttered. “How are we going to get around without going on the streets?”

We both looked around. There was a higher section of blacktop beside the road, but there was street lamps glazing over them.

“I have an idea.” Naomi smirked. “Follow me.” she jumped on a ladder and started heading up to a roof.

“Genius, Naomi!” I exclaimed.

“Hush! We’re supposed to be quiet!” she snapped, twirling on the roof. She moved as I came up and we looked around. “Even a nice view to keep a lookout… Come on. Beat you to that tower looking thing.”

“You’re on!” I said.

“Ready?” she said, crouching down. I followed her movements. “Set… GO!”

We both took off like rockets, but somehow, Naomi got ahead of me faster. She ran ahead of me, but I quickly caught up. We both jumped from roof to roof, occasionally doing summersaults or flips just to prove to other that flip we did now was better than the last.

I beat Naomi to the tower, using a pole to spin around on as she tried to catch up. She only fell behind because there was a mysterious hole in one of the roofs that she tripped over.

She jumped up next to me, balancing with only her feet as she kept hold of the bar with her hands. I stood next to her as she thought she saw some movement to the left of us, but was gone within a minute.

“Should we see what did it?” Naomi asked, already wanting to get into something she’s not supposed to.

“No.” I said sternly. “You know what Sensei said.”

Naomi rolled her eyes. “Well I’m going to find out what or who moved over there.” then she jumped from the tower, running left. While she was running, she got her staff out.

And, of course, I’m the one that’s got to get her out of the trouble she’s going to deal with… I jump off after her and take out my double-swords as I run after her. She weaved around obstacles and jumping from roof to roof.

That’s when we hear this strange tune. Naomi stopped and I nearly ran into her if I wasn’t paying attention. The sound was high in notes and had a happy, jingle to it.

“What’s that?” Naomi asked, turning to look at me. I shrugged. “One way to find out.”

“Another thing? You go to one thing to the next without completing the first thing!” I complained after her.

“I know!” she said, jumping off to another roof to follow the sound.

“Oh, Naomi…” I sighed, running after her.

The sound came from this vehicle that was white and had some kind of patterns over it. It had a giant thing on the top that had a light brown, strangely shaped cylinder, and something that was connected to the cylinder that looked fluffy and was pink, the same color as my headband.

Instantly, Naomi jumped on it, making a denting sound.

“Naomi!” I exclaimed urgently. “Get off! What if someone’s in there?”

She looked up, twirled her staff and hopped down, walking around the vehicle with staff in hand. I rolled my eyes and jumped down after her. When I jumped down on the concrete, she opened the back doors. Cool air wafted from it, cooling us down from the running.

“Ooooo.” Naomi said happily, climbing in the truck. “This looks interesting…”

“Naomi! It might be a trap!” I said urgently, grabbing the end of her staff and pulling it out of her grip. “You’re so interested in the weird stuff you don’t care if I take your staff?”

She was ignoring me completely. She took out a wrapper from one of the boxes and unwrapped it. Inside was a stick with a dark brown rectangle connected to it. Naomi grabbed the stick and looked at it curiously before eating the rectangle part. Instantly, her eyes lit up.

Now I’m curious… Naomi’s curiosity rubs off on you after living with her for 15 years, literally. I climbed in after her and as I stood up, she gave me a wrapper that I unwrapped quickly. It was the same thing as Naomi’s and, so, I ate it.

Flavor burst in my mouth as I crunched down on the sweet brown part and the cold inside. I look and it was white. Strange… But so good!

Naomi finished hers quickly, snatched more of them up and hopped out, leaving me inside. I finished mine and followed her without grabbing more for later. I shut the doors as I heard one open.

I looked around for Naomi, but she was on the roof waving at me to come up. She’s quick…

I followed her up and she gave me another stick food.

“It’s called Ice Cream…” Naomi explained, opening another one, this one multicolored and slimmer.

“How would you know?” I asked, opening it.

“It said on the truck and the boxes I took them from.” she smiled, finishing it with one big gulp.

“You are one bad influence, Naomi.” I muttered.

“That’s my job, Mikito.” Naomi grinned.