The Brain

We finished the ice cream within five minutes. “Even better than what we usually have.” Naomi muttered happily.

“It’s surface food. Of course it would be.” I pointed out.

“Now!” Naomi quickly said, jumping up and grabbing her staff that she left out in case something suddenly jumped on us. “Let’s find out what that movement was.”

“So you haven’t forgot.” I sighed as she ran off again. “Hey! Slow down!”

I chased her over buildings and everything. She stopped suddenly and this time, I did run into her. We tumbled in an alley that had a dead robot in it. We stared at it in question. Naomi picked it up with a grunt.

“It’s heavy.” she breathed.

“It’s a robot,” I sighed, “Made of metal and other things.”

“But, it looks like it’s missing something…” Naomi pointed out, pointing to it’s middle section. “Like, a part or something…”

We heard some voices and I got a little scared. “Come on, let’s grab it and go.”

“Why take it?” Naomi asked, picking it up over her back.

“Just, come on!” I said, jumping on a ladder with Naomi right behind me. We got on the roof and started running away.

“Oh yeah? Well, you’ll change your tune when you see that he’s… Gone?” someone said behind us. Silence and footsteps leaving.

Naomi was behind me when she grunted as she fell down from the weight of the robot. “Oof!”

I turned around and walked up to her. “Really? You can’t carry a robot?”

“You try carrying it!” she groaned, trying to get up again.

“Fine. Give it here.” I ordered, grabbing the robot from her back. Man! It was heavy!

Naomi smirked and ran off. And then I couldn’t keep up with her… I got as far as I could before I just sighed and dropped the ’bot and ran after her. That’s when I heard the screaming. Naomi screaming.

I ran and jumped over a building as Naomi bumped into me from below and we crashed onto the building I was trying to land nicely on. I held my hand on my head, trying to think straight while Naomi was talking gibberish.

“Naomi! Calm down!” I finally said.

She looked at me and took a deep breath. “I saw a brain!”

“A brain…?” I asked.

“Yeah! It was pink, making weird screeching sounds and walking…” she had wide, frightened eyes.

This was odd, coming from even Naomi. “A brain was walking?”

“You don’t believe me do you?” she looked slightly disappointed.

“No…” I sighed. “But, come on, it’s getting late.”

“Right…” she muttered, now really unhappy.

We ran back and we passed a white box on a roof. Naomi stopped and looked at it with wide blue eyes. It was open and it had a spicy smell. There was nothing around and Naomi took it, dropped down in an alley and threw it away before coming back and meeting me.

Then, we went back home. Nice and safe home.