~Forty-Eight Part Two~

A/N: So this is my first real update actually in my official dorm room so that's awesome! I'm in the corner so I can write at my desk without any nosing around by others which is freaking awesome! But anyway, please, please, please, comment, vote, and follow me!

Peace Out, Girl Scouts

~Kate~

There's this moment of total bliss that comes over someone when they get the one thing they wanted more than anything else in the world.

And as I embraced Emory, I knew I had it.

I yanked him away from my body within second, holding his small face in my hands. It was dirt smeared which made me worry about where he'd been. I inspected his sun darken skin for any trace of boo-boos and seeing none asked, "How'd you find me, Emory?"

"The lady told me!" he was grinning happily. "Grandpa said you were dead. But the lady told me I had to come here or else the big scary man would kill you."

My chest tightened as this information swirled inside my head. Who was the big scary man? How had he met my father? Did my family think I was dead? I just held him tight, unable to think of a response worthy of his response to his question. "I missed you daddy," Emory murmured into my shoulder. "I was scared you weren't gonna come back to me! But that was cuz I had to come to you!"

"Where's Uncle Jeffery and Aunt Xena? What about Grandma and Grandpa?" I asked, smoothing back his flyway jet back strands.

He frowned. "They're in the woods in a new land. But you can't see them Daddy. They won't be safe if you do!"

Brushing off his statement I just nodded my head. Of course I'd go see my parents and my brothers. I wanted them to know that Emory was safe and that I too was live and well. I didn't want them to grieve unnecessarily. Although I was happy to know that they were safe! Axel had disappeared shortly after staring at my son, blinking slowly as if he regretted allowing him to be with me. I'd given him a pleading look that he'd nodded curtly to before disappearing. I just didn't want to let go of my baby, afraid that I'd blink and he'd be gone.

"Did you miss me?" asked Emory after a few minutes. "I missed you lots."

Tears filled my eyes. He was so pure and sweet. Was there a better pup into the world? "I missed you every day and very night. Daddy missed you so much."

He turned his head to face me. "Don't cry Daddy. I don't want you to be sad."

"I'm not crying because I'm sad," I laughed tearfully shaking my head a bit. "I'm crying because I'm so happy. Daddy is so, so, so happy to have you back."

"Will you still love me when you have your new baby?"

My brow furrowed and swiped my tears away. "Hm? What makes you think Daddy has a baby in his tummy?"

"I just know." he stated, diving under the covers. His face appeared at the end of his bed. "It might now be okay though, Daddy. The new baby might die. Can I watch cartoons? I haven't watched them in a really long time!"

My brow furrowed as I reached for the remote, flicking through stations until I settled on something he'd like to watch. With him distracted I took a moment to really think about the statements he'd said. They all pointed to him seeing some horrid violence that must have altered his state of mind a bit. The Emory I knew and loved would have never said something so horrible as a baby dying. But I wasn't going to draw attention to it. Now he was back with me, he would surely heal from any trauma he suffered. Right?