~Twenty-Seven~

A/N: So I know my note said this would be updated tomorrow but...eh, it's close enough. It's sort of short, yes, but I've got it all mapped out from here. I'm so excited. Anyway, I hope you all like it! Pleas comment and vote and follow me. It truly makes my day each time someone does. And I love, love, LOVE when people tell me what they think or love/hate about my characters.

Peace Out, Girl Scouts

~Kate~

Jeffery had tidied up the house after he left by the look of it.

Of course, his idea of clean and mine were drastically different. "We can go see auntie Clarissa again, right Daddy?"

Emory looked at me with his big blue eyes as he asked. His innocence was almost heartbreaking. "Of course, Em. Why don't you go and play while I clean up?"

"Mm 'kay. Can I have a snack later?"

"Sure. Just let me get the house picked up, okay?"

He grinned, scampering toward the back door. I started on the dishes from yesterday, mind a buzz. What would I say to my brother when I saw him again? What could be said? I dried my hands and the dishes, running a broom then mop over the tile. A little crack had appeared on the wall where my pup had careened into it.

My blood began to boil.

No, I didn't need anyone. Sure, I didn't do stellar when it came to defending myself and my pup but I survived didn't I? Here I was, in my kitchen, knowing my pup and I were safe.

That counted for something right?

I didn't need anyone. I could do it all on my own.

~~^^~~^^~~^^~~^^~~

One Week Later

Xena and Jeffery had another baby girl.

I heard the news through Clarissa who had stopped by to check out Emory's side and give me a fresh jar of strawberry preserves. After thanking her for her yummy gift, I had told her go congratulate Xena for me and she'd obliged. Everything was seemingly back to normal. That is until I was nestled on the couch wearing a tee-shirt and sweatpants on Friday night. Emory was stretched out on the rug, a bowl of freshly popped popcorn in front of him, watching a movie. I was more or less dozing, waiting until Emory's bedtime so I could fall asleep.

That is until a knock on the door startled me.

Emory looked at me seeming a bit confused with our late night visitor. "I'll get it, I'll get it!" He volunteered excitedly, hopping up.

"No you won't. Sit down." I replied tiredly.

Yawning I opened the door only to slam it shut again, heart in my throat, tummy burning in shame.

Andy.

I'd forgotten all about our 'date'. How horrible was I?

Another knock came and I took a deep breath opening the door. Andy rose an eyebrow at me. "It's not a very formal place but are you sure sweatpants are the look you want to go with?"

I laughed ackwardly nodding my head. "Sorry, I lost track of time." A prepubescent girl was standing behind him, talking animatedly with Emily. "Is that the sitter?"

She smiled. "I'm Liza."

"She's great. I'm sure the kids will get along with her fine." Andy added.

Never having left my pup alone with a stranger before, I was a bit uncomfortable. But I smiled at her, trying to make it seem like I trusted her. Wasn't she just a kid herself? "Of course. I'll just go get dressed..." I said ackwardly. "It should only be a minute--"