~Eighteen~

A/N: I promised a long chapter. But once I started to write it, the plot just played out like this. It just ended right, you know? I'm sorry if you're disappointed at the length but I may update early if I get some nice feedback from my wonderful readers. 😊 Thanks for reading.

Pic: the Cake!

Peace Out, Girl Scouts

~Kate~

It was time to present the cake to the crazy bride.

I was nervous of course, having slaved away on this cake for days now. But this was the pivotal moment. She came inside, hand clasped in Jeffery's. She had been a bit calmer now, besides a flower fiasco when too much rain drowned the lilies she and her mother had been tending to decorate for the wedding. She finally decided that wild flowers were pretty too and we had a meadow full of them at our disposal.

She stopped dead, staring at the cake on the table. It took up about half of it.

It had to be big enough to feed the entire community. "Is something--" I began but Xena cut me off, sobbing loudly.

I looked worriedly at Jeffery who shrugged looking as baffled as I was. "Xena?" He tried but she just shook her head, bawling.

"If-if you don't like it can I try again. I've got three days. It'll just be tight--"

"No! It's beautiful. It's perfect... I love it."

Relief flowed through me as the anxiety from displeasing the bride disappeared. It would be okay. Xena embraced me tightly, almost too tightly. The baby made it know that it didn't like to be squished by kicking me. "Ooh, watch the baby." I said with a small smile. "I'm glad you like it."

"You're so wonderful at this." she sighed, circling the cake with a loving look. "I just want to hug you forever!"

"Thanks." I blushed as she squealed happily, wiping away her tears. "It's no big deal."

"No big deal? Colton you've been working on this for days. And you did a wonderful job." Jeffery argued.

I blushed at his compliment.

A sharp pain made me gasp, hand flying to my stomach. The pain dulled very shortly afterword, Jeffery and Xena looking at me worriedly. "Should I bring a letter to Clarissa?" He asked nervously.

I shook my head. "It's fine now. Just things moving around I'm sure."

"If you're sure..." Jeffery said after a moment, watching me closely. "I'm going to run over to Xena's for a bit okay? I'm trying on my clothes, going over plans and such. Will you be okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine." I said with a smile and a wave. "I'll see at dinner okay?"

"Where's mom?" He asked, clearly not wanting to leave me home alone.

"She went to the market with dad to get all the leather out of the house. She'll back by dinner."

"And you're sure you're okay here?"

"Ive been home alone, Jeffery. Besides, you're just across the clearing if I need something."

"I know. Just...stay inside, okay? And don't do anything crazy okay? Keep it low key."

I rolled my eyes, hand settling on my tummy. "I'll be fine...we'll be fine."

He eventually nodded, with a sigh. "Okay. Fine. Don't worry about getting me lunch. We're eating at Xena's."

I smiled and waved him off. I liked this peace and quiet. While I loved my family it was nice to have some calm. My hips were starting to ache however. It was starting to happen in the afternoons now too, as if scolding me putting so much weight on them. And the worse part was that I was only about halfway! The pains would just get worse.

I was sweeping the floors when a knock at the door scared me. The baby began to kick in response and I calmed it with a rub. Figuring it was probably someone picking up something my mother had mended I opened the door without a second thought. I gasped, jaw dropping. There stood Liam, chest bare, a light sheen of sweat giving it a soft of gleam. His scent washed over me, making my wolf yearn for him before remembering, no. He wasn't mine anymore. He had...Martin. "Liam," I whispered trying to form a sentence.

The stench of moonshine hit me moments later, my nose running almost instantly. He didn't seem to steady on his feet, eyes bloodshot. "I need...to talk to you."

"You're drunk."

"Let me come in."

My brow furrowed as I looked at him. Wolves were stupid and unpredictable when they were drunk. He could hurt me or worse, the baby. "Liam I don't think that's--"

"Just move."

He moved with one shove of his massive arm, causing me nearly fall as he closed the door behind him. I cradled my stomach protectively, worried about what was going to happen. "Liam. You-you shouldn't be here--"

"Just...just let me talk." He steadied himself on the table and I bit my lip fearing for the cake. If he fell over... "I love you Colt. *hic* I always have."

My heart seemed to drop down to the pit of my stomach. How could he say such a thing like this? He had practically abandoned me and now, weeks later, he stumbles in, drunk off his ass and says he loves me? "You have Martin," I spat, firing up. "And you left me."

"No...no you don't understand. You came...you came to me and said...you were pregnant? What did you think bid be happy? I'd be okay with it? That...thing isn't mine. *hic* And if you expect me to treat it like it is, you...you've got another thing comin'."

He tried to point at me but his finger kept sway ing backs and froth with his body. I wished that this could have been a real conversation between us but I knew better. Once he sobered up he'd remember nothing. Everything would go on the way it was but now I had the knowledge of his love weighing at my conscious. It was my fault he was miserable. If I had not gotten raped or pregnant...we'd be happy tougher. I did this to us.

"I'm gonna...go lay down, 'Kay Colt? *hic* I'll get up in a minute..." The drunk werewolf stumbled to the couch, snoring as soon as he hit it.

I stood there, stunned, trying to process what'd just happened. He...he loved me. But it could never happy because of the baby. And while I adored him, I loved my unborn child more.

But now came the fact of explaining why a drunken ex-mate was sleeping on the sofa once my father came home, and praying he didn't attack him for not ever officially ending our relationship. Which, yes, was pretty rotten of him, but he was hurt too. While I hated feeling for the man who left me I couldn't really hate him. It seems as if we were never actually meant to be together. But everyone had a true mate.

If it wasn't him, who was it?

-unedited-

Next Update: Friday (4/17/15)