~Twenty-Three~

Pic: Little Emory

Four Years Later

"Emory James!"

The jet haired pup skittered to stop. The four year old pup had just figured out the key to shifting whenever he pleased and he was abusing the newfound knowledge. And all that was doing was causing the other pups I watched daily to get upset and try and copy him, only to find they can't. Like his two year old little cousin who clumsily followed him, trying to walk on four legs. Emory pointed his nose wistfully to the little vegetable garden--or his favorite place to dig. "Don't you dare," I snapped, stepping off the back porch to retrieve him. "Look at the example you're setting!"

I grabbed the heavy pup with some difficulty, carrying him closer to the house. He yapped sadly as I did so, wondering why I had to spoil the fun. He was growing like crazy too. At age four he was half my height already. And most werewolf pups don't get a handle of shifting until they were eight or nine. Emory was only four. We live beside my brother in a house he built himself. It's a modest thing with two bedrooms, a pretty big kitchen, and an open living area with a sliding glass door that led to the back yard. It was perfect for the two of us. Unfortunately my father and I never really patched things up. That led to a bit of a split in the family: Jeffery couldn't believe Thomas was still around him and Thomas couldn't believe Jeffery had turned his back on him.

My father wanted nothing to do with my pup which was the deal breaker. I loved my father but the love for my child was more important.

And my poor mother was just stuck in the middle. She visited about once a month. She tried to be a part of Emory's life.
Thomas had yet to meet 'the bastard' as he was referred to as. I couldn't stomach such a word directed at my pup.

But in other news Liam married last week. I guess he and Martin were a good match after all. I was of course broken hearted at first. After all no one really wanted to be alone. But I had Emory and for now he was everything I needed. However a bit of a love interest had spiked up which was the talk of the town as of late.

I watched his adorable, gold haired three year old. His mate had died giving birth to her. With his mate dead they expected him to raise their child and mourn. And certainly not find another matter--much less an omega. It wasn't that people didn't like me, they did (or at least pretended to) but whenever Andy and I were together the looks of distain came. I wasn't sure how I felt about Andy. He asked me out every other week and I wanted to say yes, I did, but I didn't know how it would work. Did he even like males? Or was I part of a grieving process? I knew that couldn't be left again. Thinking of Liam still hurt to this day.

"Colt' da puppy!" two year old Gabby Mills exclaimed waving her hands at Emory who digging in the garden again.

I groaned in annoyance, striding across the lawn. I scooped up the troublemaking pup who instantly shifted. Empry's big blue eyes gazed up at me and he threw on his apologetic smile. This boy knew how to work me so he didn't get in toruble. I huffed, trying to overlook the adorable expression as I carried him inside to the pile of clothing he'd left when he shifted.

"Daddy!" Emory threw his muddied hands around my waist, looking up at me with his big blue eyes. My need to discipline him for disobeying was outweighed by how adorable he was. "I'm sowwy."

"Causing your Daddy trouble?"

I looked over at my brother who was leaning on the white washed fence. "Da-da!" Crowed his daughter, Emily, beaming cutely at him. "Home?"

"I don't think so, hun. I'm on lunch. Just checking in."

He looked at me and I smiled. I loved my job and I was making enough money to support Emory and I which was the important part. "It's going well. Actually little Emory likes to dig in the garden."

His uncle gave him a disapproving look. Emory grinned at him, saying, "No. I was looking for treasures."

"Oh yeah? Well. Let me know if you find anything in the mulch," teased Jeffery. I swatted his arm.

"You're a bad influence."

"Guilty." He poked his tongue out at me with a grin before pouting. "Okay, so there's another reason I'm here... Actually two. Well, as you know Xena's with Clarissa during her last few days of pregnancy and I'm trying to get et the Miller's barn all wrapped up and--"

"Emily can stay as long as you need here to," I replied. "She's great."

"Thanks," sighed Jeffery liking relieved. "When do you guys eat?"

He made it sound innocent but I knew he wanted me to make him lunch. "I'll whip you up some ham sandwiches if you keep an eye on the pups while I'm gone?"

"Deal!" Jeffery let himself in only to be attacked by his daughter and nephew. "You little rascals!"

The toddler clung to her father's legs. "Mama home?"

"No darling. Not yet. When Mamá comes home so will baby JJ."

Jeffery had named his first son after him. It did sound a little silly but he liked it so I supposed it was for the best. "Baby come home," echoed Emily, toddling away to play in the sandbox Jeffery had constructed for me.

"You've got everything under control?" I asked worriedly. "I'm just a call away okay?"

"I've got it," Jeffery told me again. "Now go on. I'm starving."

I rolled my eyes, going inside the house. Before long I had a thick slice of homemade bread buttered and slathered in mayonnaise and a horseradish spread Jeffery loved. I put thick slices of fresh cheddar and spiral ham I had of over from a few nights ago. I put three sandwiches on the plate, pouring him a tall glass of cool milk. After almost crashing to my death over a toy train set left hazardously in the kitchen enterway I left the food on the table for him to eat. Outside he'd gathered most of the pups around, telling a story of 'escaping human hunters' just outside our area. Normally I'd scold him for frightening the pups but with all the recent sightings I knew that it was good that the pups were afraid.

"Your food's on the table." I told him, trying to be quiet so the pups wouldn't hear and demand to eat. I was sure he wanted some peace and quiet. But Emory overheard and crowed, "FOOD?!"

The pups instantly started to beg to eat and Jeffery winked. "I think I'll take my it over to my house but thanks for the meal."

"Speaking of meals," I said as it occurred to me, "what are you feeding you and Emily?"

"Peanut butter sandwiches mostly," he admitted. "With Xena in the hospital and all--"

"Let me take care of it okay? I make plenty. Plus, Emory would love to have some time with his uncle."

"As long as you're sure it's not a bother," sighed Jeffery after a moment of consideration. "Besides, I want to talk you about his Andy-character."

My eyes narrowed at the mention of the touchy subject. He ignored me, striding into the house to get his place. Once he was gone I fed the pups before laying them down to take naps. The older pups were in the den watching TV while I tidied up my house. Sure, Andy and I weren't exactly traditional but I was an unwed omega with a child. The fact that any wolf would show interest in me was crazy. And was the concept of moving on after the death of your mate that crazy?

Besides, what I did with my life wasn't up to anyone else. An Andy and I weren't together officially yet anyway.

Whatever I chose to do would be up to me. Not my brother or the rest of people in town who liked to talk.

A/N: Omigosh. A four year jump. We missed baby Emory! 😭 But it's okay because we get cute 4 year old Emory! I hope you all liked this chapter! Remember to comment and vote! ♥️

Next Update: Thursday (4/30/15)

Peace Out, Girl Scouts

~Kate~

-unedited-