~Twenty-One Pt. One~

A/N: Another update?! What's wrong with me?? Just kidding. This actually to celebrate 3k reads and 74 comment and over 200 votes. You all are awesome. But more importantly... BABY NAMES! Aahhh! I sorta forgot about the fact I'd have to call him something other than 'him' or 'baby' so please help! Comment your fav name for the baby and the winner will get an honorable mention in the next chapter: ~Twenty-Two~.

Peace Out, Girl Scouts

~Kate~

It was all a haze.

Sounds echoing in my brain that made no sense to me, hands all over me... I felt like I was in a void, floating around aimlessly. It wasn't a good feeling but it wasn't bad either. There a sense of ease that was nice and lack of worry. What was I supposed to be worried about? I had no idea. All I could do was float. So I did.

~~^^~~^^~~^^~~^^~~

There was blood everywhere.

The journey had been swift but stressful. James had disappeared too ashamed and fairad to think about helping the son he figured was dead. Claire felt faint with worry. She did not want her mate to be alone and hurting but she didn't want her son dead either. The boys had picked themselves up with minor aches and pains, more concerned about their injured sibling. His breathing was faint. Hardly there in fact.

Now he was lying on the bed, an oxygen mask on his face, and his tummy split open completely as she tried to save the baby first. Claire had tried to fight her on it but apparently the sac the baby was in was attached to his spine and fluids were erosive and could possible kill him if he was exposed to too much of it. Everyone as on edge as Clarrissa's gently scraped tried to take the damaged embryo out of his body. There was lot of blood which was what concerned everyone watching but Clarissa looked so determined and confident no one dared break her concentration to inquire about the startling blood flow. "It's going to detach now. I need you lay a towel on the table for me Claire, okay?"

"Okay."

She pulled a towel from the cabinet, laying it as she asked. Clarissa turned then, seeming to hold a fluid filled bubble with what looked like a baby inside. Thomas felt faint. This was what his wife wanted inside her? Clarissa laid it gently against the table stepping back slowly. It looked firm enough, staying together. She sighed out, turning now to tend to the bleeding out boy. "I knew you'd want me to save the baby first," she said softly as she prepared to stitch him back together.

~~^^~~^^~~^^~~^^~~

With Colton stable and moved upstairs into a warm, soft bed, Clarissa was now face with a new concern.

Should she cut into the sac and remove the early child? Was it still even alive? She didn't want to have to tell the poor boy it was stillbirth and yet she couldn't leave it as a mystery. The baby could survive, if still alive, only so long before it would run out of oxygen without Colton providing it. "Clarissa?"

Her sister looked ready to cry which made her feel even more stressed out. She hated to seem cold, especially when she was trying to mend their strained relationship. "I'm going to take out the baby now, I need you stay beside me okay?"

Clarissa quickly gathered the new equipment she'd acquired purely for her nephew's child. "Hold these." Clarissa thrust a medical tray into Claire's hands, before lifting the scalpel. "I'm cutting now."

Her voice was small and afraid. She wasn't confident. This was a field with very little research. Perhaps she'd note something about it and keep it on hand to help out future cases? She carefully punctured the thin membrane, cutting down as the hit fluids spilled on the towel. Taking the fresh one from the tray she quickly took out the surprisingly large child, noting its lack of umbilical cord. Perhaps the fluids were simply water and nutrients? Forcing herself to focus she quickly began to treat this pup as she had with all other births. Assisting breathing, making it cry with a sharp pinch to bum to ensure he was healthy. Then she dried him off completely and took a moment to just looks the miracle in her hands.

Despite being early he was fully developed with a head full of jet black hair. As expected this was going to be a very powerful wolf once he grew up. Big blue eyes looked up at her, puzzled and though peeved as if he knew that he'd been taken into the world earlier than he'd like. As if reading her mind the baby huffed, chewing on a tiny fist.

"He's beautiful."

The grandmother took the baby into her arms, tears falling from her eyes. She couldn't tell when what she was feeling exactly. She was happy; oh so very happy to hold such a beautiful grandchild, her first in fact; she was sad; so very sad that her mate and husband who she loved and trusted could do such a stupid thing to her child; she was worried, so terribly worried about the further of her mate and her son, currently recovering in the upstairs bedroom.

"Yes he is. He's got his father's eyes."

The grandmother smiled tearfully. "Those are my Colton's eyes all right..."

"Are you going to be okay Claire?"

"I don't know."

Clarissa took the baby, lying him in the new incubator that'd cost her an arm and leg but was worth it. Normally pups went right with their mother but Clarissa had known that this pup's birth would be long, dangerous, and perhaps even fatal. "It's alright to have doubts you know."

"What James did..."

Clarissa wanted to encourage her to leave him, to reject him for what he'd done to her and her child but...that wouldn't have been right. "He was challenged, Claire. He did what any other male wolf would have in his position. Hold him accountable of course but don't hate him for doing what he was made to do."

She nodded looking defeated. "I was so scared I'd loose one of them," she whispered shaking her head. "Can we go out on the porch? I need some air."

After finding the child taking his first official nap Clarissa nodded her head, going outside with her now not-so-estranged sister.

~~^^~~^^~~^^~~^^~~

Axel's POV

"So how are the preparations coming, Karla?"

Karla had not adjusted like I'd wanted her to and seemed to hate me more ever since I hit her. Understandable I guess but give a guy some slack. I'd stuffed her clothes full of beautiful clothes and gowns. Filled the racks with fancy shoes any woman would die to have and I got...nothing. At least she put up a front for my parents. I was grateful for that. "Very well, thank you Luna. I'm meeting with caters in the morning to discuss menu. Would you like to come?"

"I would love to. And it's Maurice dear, not Luna. That'll be you before the decades over."

Karla smiled but it did not reach her eyes. They didn't have the same shine they used to. In fact they looked rather flat lately. I don't know why but it bothered me seeing her this way. One of those annoying girls would have been very much appreciated right now. But I didn't bring it up. I'd picked her; I would stick with her. But God did I need to let of a little steam tonight! "Dear, I hope you mind but I was going to go patrol the borders a bit tonight. Will you be able to find your way into bed?"

She fake smiled at me but I could see the hate in her eyes. My stomach tightened. "Of course dear. Should I wait up?"

Her face was blank as she asked. I couldn't even stomach the thought of having sex with her still. "Don't worry about it," I replied. "You have a busy day tomorrow. Good night."

I kissed her cheek, the highest form of affection we'd shared and she faked a smile. I excused myself from the table, happily leaving the house.

Once outside I could breathe out a sigh of relief. It was so...stressful being around her! I took a sample of the air and smiled as I caught a familiar scent.

Oh, Max.

I hope you're ready for me.

-unedited-