~Twenty-Two~

A/N: Our winner is...GrimmPrincess! So this is a shorter, wrap-up chapter in preparation to the next chapter.

Being stuck immobile in a bed was driving me nuts.

And being considered too weak to hold my own child was killing me. I felt stir crazy and restless. But if the stitches looked better tomorrow I would be able to stand up for the first time since the surgery. To make matters worse Jeffery and Xena were getting married today. My mother had left to attend it. I was getting more and more worried about my father: no one had seen him yet. I hated what had happened between us. He had overreacted of course but it was understandable. Male wolves did not like to be challenged and he was already high-strings it's everything that was happening and the wedding right around the corner. Plus it was killing my mother to be away from her mate.

"I brought you some broth Colton."

I was literally just lying here, hopped up on pain medication that made the agony in my midsection tolerable. But since I could not sit up yet I had to be fed. And I really hated that. Clarissa sat beside me, dipping the spoon in the flavorful liquid. "It's chicken with carrot flakes."

It was good and all but I really wanted to see the baby. They hadn't shown him to me yet because they didn't want me to get all hyped up. The anticipation was getting to me. "How is he?"

My voice was rough but understandable. Clarissa smiled. "He's sleeping. He needs his rest too. He was a bit early after all."

"He's okay?" That was my question every day. I felt the need to make sure of it.

Clarissa smiled, setting down the bowl. "Perfect. He's perect. Although--"

My anxiety spiked, concern from my child peaking. "What? Let me see him."

I tried to sit up only to feel sharp pain in my agony, making me shriek. Concerned Clarissa laid me back, lifting my shirt to check my tummy. The stitches were red and angry but there was no blood or pus. "You need to calm down." She scolded. "These stitches are barely holding. You should have been stapled and carried to the nearest pack for their emergency medicine but I couldn't risk them not giving you back."

I nodded, fighting my tears. "The baby--"

"He's fine Colton. I was just going to tell you that he doesn't have a belly button due to his lack of umbilical cord. However he does have a strange moon marking there."

"Can I see it?"

Clarissa looked ready to say no I tied to stop her. "Please." I tried, tone pleading. "He is mine after all."

"You have to promise to give him back straight away if you get tired or he gets fussy. You can't stress your injuries. I can only restitch it so many times."

I smiled, relieved. Finally I would touch my baby boy. Once I had him in my arms I could decide on a name of him. He could be a Charlie or a Jasper for all I knew. I just wanted to see his face. And see how much he could remind me of his father.

As my spirits plummeted and more depressing thoughts went through my mind, I received the pick-me-up I needed from hearing Clarissa coming up the stairs. I had to remind myself to stay still I was giddy! I had been so excited about seeing his face for the first time I've dreamed of it. Of course I can never actually remember what I imagined his face to look like. But it just made the moment even more special. The door opened and Clarissa entered with a bundle in her arms. "He just got up so may be a a bit cranky. Don't take it personally if he cries Colton."