~Twenty~

A/N: Okay so, yes, this is late. And I'm so sorry! Stuff came up and you know how stuff is. Anyways... It's short but it's an update so enjoy! PS: how do you feel about the update? I've got mixed feelings about it. I like it but I hate it, you know?

Pic: Martin the homewrecker!!! Grr.

Peace Out, Girl Scouts

~Kate~

I seethed in my room, waiting for Liam to wake up.

My father only cared about what made him feel better not me. Part of me wanted to blame Liam but I had I feeling that he would have pulled this somehow anyway. And that really bugged me. I wasn't incapable of surviving on my own. Sure I was weak but I wasn't stupid. I had common sense. And I had someone looking out for me and my pup. I could do this. Not that he would listen to me though.

I glared at the floor trying hard not to cry. That was my trouble. Intense emotion led right to the tears. Which just showed how weak and pathetic I was. I couldn't be though. I had to be strong for the baby. It deserved that at least. After a bit my mother knocked on the door, asking if I'd help her with dinner. I wanted to refuse but I wasn't mad at her, I was mad at my father and she needed help. I nodded, clambering to my feet, biting back sounds of pain on my overworked hips. The sooner I had this baby, the better they'd feel. At least, I hoped that was the case.

The house was empty save for a sleeping Liam, and my mother and I began to gather what we needed for dinner. Mashed potatoes had become a must for all meals due to the odd craving I had for them so I set to peeling and cutting them as my mother snapped green beans. "I'm trying with him darling. I really am. Don't be angry with him; he worries about you."

"I'm not some pup anymore," I snapped back. "He treated Thomas and Jeffrey like adults when they were my age! I deserve that, don't I?"

"You're not like them Colton. You're different."

"I don't think I want to be different anymore," I muttered furiously, it horsing potato chunks into the bowl. The baby began to kick and I grimaced. "Can we talk about something else please?"

"What'd Xena think about the cake?"

I smiled, unable to help it. I was proud I'd made something like that cake. "She liked it. A lot."

"Good. I was worried she wouldn't. It's gorgeous but she's been a little crazy lately."

"A little?" I laughed. "That's an understatement. Were you like that when you got married?"

"Her wedding was my dream. Back then we had some meat, a few guests, and simple little cake. I got a ring a few years later when your father's grandmother passed away."

"That's too bad."

"It was beautiful." She argued. "While all that fancy stuff would have been nice, I don't feel like I missed out. I had my mate. Nothing was more important then being with him."

Liam snorted in slumber making me feel even worse. My mother's face fell when she realized. "No, honey--"

"It's okay." I lied, trying to act like my heart wasn't broken. "I hear being mateless can be quite liberating."

"You're starting to sound my like sister," my mother replied softly. "And I know when she's lying."

"Mom I understand why he...rejected me. This is a big responsibility. I shouldn't have expected him to...to just accept it like I did. The only reason it was so easy for me was because I had to accept it. Like it or not there is a child inside of me. He had the right to do as he wished. At least he's happier now."

"So he cam here and broke it off. Drunk."

"Yes," I lied. He wouldn't remember confessing his love for me. It would be best if it stayed that way. "He came over here and told me that he did not want to be mate any longer."

Her eyes looked a bit damp which made my thought tighten as my own eyes filled with tears. "Don't cry mom. Please. If you cry, I'll cry. I'm okay with this. I promise."

"You deserved better. If we had been in a pack..."

"They would have treated me terribly," I argued. "Thomas told me."

"Only if no one would take you. But they would. You're so beautiful every male would have wanted you. But now that you're here your being passed over..."

I wasn't too sure what she was going on about but I let her rant and complain at herself. I was happy a rogue. Even if it meant I was raising a pup alone. Alphas were evil, tyrannical werewolves. Thomas told even told me so. "Mom, calm down. C'mon let's keep cooking."

With everything cooking my mother and I took a moment to look at Liam who still passed out. My mother was frowning crossly. "What kind of werewolf gets that drunk?" She criticized. "Let me tell you--in all the years I've been mated to your father he's never gotten drunk. Not once. You want to know why? Because he's a good man."

I offered her a weak smile. As much as I wanted to join in on the 'insulting the ex' game I couldn't. I still loved him whether I liked it or not. And I never wanted to hurt him. Not like he hurt me.

~~^^~~^^~~^^~~^^~~^^~~

Dinner was a tense affair.

No one really spoke much, allowing the tension to just sit heavily over the table. I didn't care. The less I spoke to my father, the calmer my baby was. And when the baby was calm, I could be calm. I was getting really close to my next appointment which Clarissa thought may be when I have the child. I was so excited to meet him or her. But that put a whole new stress on me: I didn't have anything for it yet. I could make it some clothes and see if Jeffery would make him a cradle. That was all right? Oh what about food... "Are you alright Colton?"

A bit surprised at her concerned tone I realized that I'd been rubbing my stomach the entire time. "Fine. Sorry."

"I suspect you're angry with me Colton," my father began making me clench my jaws together in annoyance. Why wouldn't he leave me alone about this? "But I hope that in time you see my reasoning."

"Your reasoning is bullshit!" I snapped before I could help myself.

A hush fell over the kitchen as my father eyes flashed. His knuckles were quite as he held onto the fork in his hand with all his strength. I'd disrespected him. "James." My mother whispere, trying to calm him.

"What did you just say to me, Omega?"

The word seemed to slice into me, leaving me breathless. My father would never address me like that unless he was really, really, really furious. Like he was now. "Dad." Thomas stood up as if to distract my father from the more vulnerable offense in the room. "Cut the shit. Seriously."

From then on it all happened so fast.

One moment my father sitting there, breathing heavily, eyes flat black, mouth drawn back in a snarl. Then? Thomas slamming into the wall, blooding dripping from his mouth. Jeffery was skittering back into the furniture and my mother push into the sink the table that separated us, pinning her against. And my father had me by the neck, pinned against the door.

My heart was practically pounding out of my chest, lungs screaming for air, my father was growling, hand raised and shifted into a huge mitt with long, black claws. "You dare disrespect me you irreverent waste of fur?" He roared, "it's because of this...thing inside you. It's ruined everything. But I'll take care of it and you'll remember your place."

I tried to fight him but his hand sliced down and I let out a scream, feeling the flesh of my stomach torn open.

I screamed and blacked out.

-Unedited-

Next Update: Tuesday (4/21/15)

>>How was the cliffhanger, hm?<<