~Eight~

A/N: I realized that this was short just as I started to write this. I don't have a particular reason. It just felt like where I ended it was the right place, y'know? Anyway. Thank you all so much for your continued support and interest in this story. It means the world to me. And please, tell me what you think in the comments. I love hearing from you! Also, thank you, my lovely new followers. You know who you are and you're awesome 😄. (*Okay, okay Kate. You're rambling.*) So to wrap up this obnoxiously long author's note (if anyone actually reads these, that is...) THANK YOU for being awesome.

Pic: Thomas! Because he has an important role in this little chapter of mine.

Peace Out, Girl Scouts

~Kate~

"Comfortable, Colton?"

Liam's arms wrapped around me, making me jump violently, pushing him away with a sharp elbow. I didn't need him to feel my stomach. "Oomph, what was that for?" Liam demanded sounding mildly annoyed as he crossed his arms.

I didn't reply, scurrying to the oven to pull out the venison roast. "Is that mine for lunch?" asked Liam eagerly, moving forward to get a better look at the tender slab of game.

I swatted him away with the towel I used to handle the hot pan. "It's dinner," I retorted happy my of behavior had been forgotten as the subject switched to food. "But I did make you some yummy sandwiches. Sit."

Liam took a seat at the table, looking at me expectantly. I pulled the pile of sandwiches from the ice chest. They were made with bread baked just night, piled high with thick slabs of salt cured and maple brined boar. I put them on a plate, slathering them with mayonnaise. I poured him a tall glass of milk. He must have been hungry: he was out hunting from dawn until now. He had tied up two handsome bucks on his porch, slitting up their tummies. He had stopped long enough to come visit me. "These look great babe. Thanks."

He didn't hesitate long before he inhaled his way through his first sandwich. "So," he said after taking a gulp of milk. "Why are you wearing my shirt babe?"

I shrugged, trying to seem playful. "It smelled like you," I replied; somewhat honestly. "Do you not like it?"

"Quite the opposite," replied Liam with a grin. "I like it a lot."

The smell of his arousal filled my nose. I forced a shaky smile, the feeling of dirty hands on my body shadowing over me. It turned away, stomach tightening, wishing the smell would just go away. Memories played themselves over and over in my head. I couldn't forget how heavy the smell was when... "Colton? Are you okay?"

The smell was faded now, almost gone, mingling with our scents and the smell of the warm nearly cooked meat I needed to sear again. "Fine." My voice was a little rusty but hardly noticeable. "Are your sandwiches good?"

"Delicious babe, really. Thanks." He was back to eating. Maybe my words were more convincing than I originally thought?

"Anytime," I all but mumbled in response. My aches were freshened in my mind. The little circle scars on my hips where the monster's nails had punctured my skin were starting to sting some. Funny, I'd nearly forgotten about them.

I lifted the heavy meat from the pan of its juices and spices into a skillet where butter and bacon fat were already sizzling softly. "Hey so, how busy are you tomorrow?"

"Hm? Oh, uhm, not very. I'll probably bring lunch over to my brothers when they're working on the house. Chores mostly. Why?"

"Do you mind mending the knees of some of my pants? I can't find a good pair and I'm going to market next week with my parents to stock up on stuff for winter. Would you like to go?"