~Seventeen~

A/N: So here it is. An update for poor Colton. There will be a time skip in the next two or three chapters so be prepared! And I'd really love to hear back from my readers! It's very encouraging to a writer!

Peace Out, Girl Scout

~Kate~

The house was a wreck.

My mother was pacing back and forth as Xena sobbed about how Jeffry 'didn't care' because he couldn't give her a straight response to which hue of purple he liked best. Leave it to a crazy bride to assume he didn't want to be get married. At least she had a mate to fight with. Liam was making an effort. When he stopped in (yes, he was still training with my brother) I hid in my room. In rejection and in shame. The fact that the had to think about it after claiming to love me so unconditionally before hurt. It physically put me in pain. Because he'd lied. Now I know it's probably silly and childish but when he said he'd love me no matter what, I thought he meant he'd love me no matter what. Not, 'well, unless by some weird chance you get knocked up'.

But maybe I was no better than Xena. "That girl's gonna be the death of me," grumbled Jeffery after giving up trying to reason with her, leaving her sobbing in his and Thomas' shared bedroom. It was weird knowing they were so independent and yet still slept in the same beds they didn't then they were just pups. "I never said I didn't care about het wedding, did I?"

"Not look at me," I replied. "I can't say I've had much experience with women."

He cracked a smirk and nodding his head. "Fair enough. But if you had a mate--"

My stomach plummeted. "Had?"

He paused, looking at me closely. "I thought you two were done?"

I felt hot tears behind my eyes and I tired to fight them back; tried to compose myself. "Is he seeing someone else?"

"Thomas said he was hunting with Martin a lot--"

"He's not an omega." I points out, confused.

"Males can mate other males, bud. They don't all have to be with an omega." Jeffery explained, tone soft and comforting. Had Liam really moved on?

"Oh." My voice cracked, betraying how hurt I was.

He could have at least ended it with me properly! Jeffry pulled me into a hug and it was all I took. I broke down, bawling like a child. "He said he'd always love me," I wailed, feeling as though my heart had been torn out of my chest. "He said he'd never leave me."

"He's a no good bastard, Colton. You're better than him." Jeffery's tone was hard and defensive. If Liam walked through the door right now, he'd probably attack him. But that didn't soothe me. I still loved him and I would hate to see him get hurt in a way, even if he was making me feel this way.

"You're just saying that." I rested my forehead on his chest, trying to catch my barings again. My little meltdown was exhausting but it wasn't nap time for me yet. I still had to check the cake and brine the new pelts brought in today. Plus, the laundry pile wasn't exactly small either... "I'll be okay, Jeffery. Thank you though."

"I'll build you your own little cabin, right beside ours," promised Thomas. "In town. Wolves up there pay others to watch their pups. You could do that. Or even mending things...you're very resourceful. You'll make a nice life for you and your pup. Just wait and see."

I nodded my head, drying my tears. That did sound nice, especially since there was no way I'd ever get a mate, hainv w child and all. I felt it nudging inside me as if agreeing. I sat down in the chair, giving my tummy a soft rub. "We'll be okay, baby," I sniffled. "We don't need anyone. I'll be everything to you baby. And I know I won't be perfect and I know you probably want a dad too, but...this is the best I can do. I just hope you aren't made at me."