Chapter 17: Confessions in the Dark

Hope you enjoy this chapter, lovelies! Don't forget to vote&comment!

~•~•~•~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•

Jaden's fist crashed into the second man's face and the latter fell backwards, groaning in pain.

I looked at him, as my tears stopped.

"J-Jaden!" My voice came out surprised, breathless.

He quickly approached me, as he put his hand on my shoulder, turned my back to the men, and pushed me slightly.

"Dammit, run! Run!!"

We darted back towards the way where I had come from, running without looking backwards, as if the devils of hell might pull our orbs out if we looked.

Well, now that I think about it, the devils of hell might be way more merciful and closer to humanity than those... creatures behind us.

And at few times where Jaden glanced behind us, he would double our speed.

He was gripping my arm tightly in his −as if I were a ten-year old kid− and making sure I stay beside him.

The curses and swearing of the men behind us made me blush hard. I do get uneasy when I hear such words, I admit, and those men just said them so care freely! How... How uncivilized! Damn them!

The men seemed to have called back up, for there was something like a pack of wolves ─drunkards to be exact, chasing us. I was getting tired; I believe I already told you I was not exactly your sportive fellow. And my bare feet, which I left without my heels earlier, were bruised and aching for me to rest. I did not know how long I could walk, and the fellows behind us seemed to have come up with quite a smart plan, where they utilize their current resources.

They started throwing the empty drink bottles at us. Thankfully, none of the bottles had hit our heads ─at least until now, and we kept on running and running, despite the fact that I did not seem to be able to find the escape, or any light anywhere in this hopeless place.

Our pursuers' nefarious plans finally seemed to work out, after we had reached the entry of the street where the taxi driver had left me, and I started feeling a bit safe, an empty bottle hit my feet, and I crashed right onto the ground.

A soft scream escaped me because of the pain, and I clutched onto my feet, which started stinging as if they were being bitten by a hundred bees at once!

Jaden bent beside me, trying to lift me up so we can continue running, but I had already run out of fuel, and could not move.

I figured we maybe had a minute or two, before the men reached us, considering we had maintained a distance −though not enough− between us when we ran.

"What are you doing?! Stand up so we can continue running!" Jaden exclaimed, as he held my shoulders.

"I-I can't move anymore!" I exclaimed back, my voice weak, as I looked at my legs.

Jaden eyed my legs.

"What do you mean you can't move? You want them to catch us?!!" He breathed, shaking.

"My... My legs h-hurt!" I shivered, my breathing unstable.

"Dammit, Charlotte! Dammit!" He clenched his teeth, looking towards the men approacjing us from behind.

I attempted to stand up, failing in the process.

And Jaden went silent at this, as he examined me for a moment, wordlesslh.