Nichole (Cole) and Jason

My youngest son is about two and a half years older than Nichole. He always called her Cole. When I asked him for his memories the very first thing he said was, "Mom we've been best buddies since she was little, I have always considered her my best friend".  He had so many wonderful memories and the following are some of the things he shared with me.

"When she was little I remember taking her fishing down at the canal by the bait shop. (WHAT!  I let you take her fishing? He continued with a chuckle.)  "I took her fishing Momma and she caught a sunfish. She was so excited she kept saying look Bubby, I got a fish! I told her, "Yes I see that, now you have to take it off the hook". She looked at me and said, "No, I not gonna take it off the hook". I told her, "You caught it, now you have to take it off". But she said she couldn't. I asked her why and she said, "It will bite me". I explained it was a sun fish and it would not bite her. She was very adamant that it would because it was a piranha!! I laughed and told her that it wasn't a piranha and I wouldn't let it hurt her. She was so cute momma." This is the same brother that introduced her to crawfish, smile.

"We use to play bobsled on the stairs using my sleeping bag because it was that slippery material. It might not sound funny now but it was hilarious then. We would put Nichole and Jamie (her cousin) in the very bottom of the sleeping bag, they were our bumpers, lol. I know that sounds mean but they loved it and we made sure they never got hurt. It was so much fun and we laughed so much! I miss her so much Momma, she was so awesome."

"I was with her the first time she got drunk. She was so drunk, she kept saying "Jay, I can't see." I kept trying to reassure her that she would be okay. She wouldn't listen and she got off the porch and started running across the yard and BAM right into a tree face first! Looking back I realize it is not cool at all for someone to be that drunk. But I guess it's like they say, you had to have been there. Momma she was the most fun and funniest person I have ever known."

"She would drive to our house in Napoleon (a forty five minute drive) just to do her laundry  and play with the girls. She would play barbie dolls and play dress up with them. When it came time to dress up and look all pretty she would tell me not to be a party pooper and I would jump right in with them just like I did when she was little. We always made time to sit and talk for awhile, just the two of us, before she would leave for home. I miss her."

At the funeral home, Jason approached me and explained that he and Nichole promised each other that if one died before the other the survivor would cut a lock of hair off the deceased one.  He asked me to cut a lock of her hair off for him. As I leaned over to cut a lock of her hair, crying, I whispered "Sweetheart, Jason said you would want me to do this." To say it was hard was an understatement. They admired each other's hair. Nichole would always say she had "big hair", and Jason would tell her, "You have beautiful hair." Jason at the time had long hair and she loved his hair. He still has that lock of hair, I image he always will.

Can you tell she was loved? Thank you for continuing to read Words A Mother Never Heard. I humbly ask that you don't forget to vote.