Epilogue

On a Sunday afternoon, Meerub was off from work, and Murtasim had just finished meeting with the Munshi (accountants) visiting from the village. The three adults—MaaBegum, Anila, and Anwar—had gone to attend a wedding in Karachi the night before and were not expected to be back until evening.

"Meerubbbb, Meerubb," Murtasim called from the living room, settled with today's newspaper, feet up on the footrest, and shawl draped around his shoulders.

"Kya ho gaya Murtasim, kion chillaaa rahe ho?" Meerub came running, sounding annoyed with his shouting.

"Chillaaa kahan raha hoon begum? Main tau bulaaaa rah tha..." he chuckled sheepishly and smiled, tilting his head.

"Hmmmm, Kion bula rahe thay?" Meerub's anger dissipated as she looked at him.

"Idher aao kuch dikhana hai," he gestured for her to come.

Out of curiosity, Meerub went near him but did not hold his hand. As soon as she was within Murtasim's reach, he grabbed her hand and pulled her into his lap. "Murtasim, pagal ho gaye ho? Kya kar rahe ho?"

"Matlab? Good day kar raha hoon... I was missing you yaaar," he nuzzled her neck.

"Really? Kitnee dair hoyee hai bed se nikle hoye?" she teased him, patting his chest playfully and with fake anger.

"Pata nahi... seems like it has been ages that I have wrapped my arms around you." He acted very cute, snaking his arms around her waist.

"Seriously Murtasim, you are becoming so cheesy day by day," although she was pretending to scold him, she loved being in his arms, and he knew it.

"Aur tum din ba din Makhan hoteee jaaa rahee ho," he made another super cheesy statement, and both started to laugh.

She settled comfortably in his arms, and he started to play with her hair, "Kuch kaam nahi hai tumhe?" Meerub asked him.

"Naaa, abhi tau kaam khatam kya hai... ab sirf main hoon aur tum ho aur..." before he could finish the statement, he heard a loud voice coming from the corridor; Meesam was arguing with someone and coming towards the living room.

They both came to their senses, and Meerub spurred out of his lap and sat next to him. Meesam entered the room, with Feena following her and little Musa holding Feena's hand.

"Mama, look at Feena Baji, I am telling you no one loves me in this house." Meesam looked very angry and came straight to her parents, squeezing between them.

As soon as she sat between them, Murtasim put his arm around her shoulder and started to pull her cheek. "Stop it Baba, I am very angry." Murtasim controlled his smile, which was dying to come on his lips.

"Meesam, what is this way to talk?" Meerub started to scold her when Murtasim looked at Meerub, his eyes telling her "Hahaha your daughter talks like you, and you are questioning her?" ... to which Meerub gave him a warning look.

"Mama! You always think I am wrong, but I only talk fair." Meesam replied to Meerub's scolding.

Before a war broke off between the 9-year-old Meesam and Meerub, Murtasim interjected, pulling Meesam into his side hug, and asked, "What happened, sweetheart? Why are you so angry?"

"Look Baba, I promised Bakhtu Dadu that I will bake a cake for him; it's his birthday today, and he said he will only like the cake that I will ever bake for him," Meesam tried to explain the important task at her hands, and her explanation brought a big smile to Murtasim's face.

He knows how much Bakhtu loves his children, and especially Meesam is his favorite, and he has left no stone unturned in spoiling her, along with Murtasim himself.