Last 4 years

Once back home and after settling Meesam, when Meerub finally hit the bed, the whole day's events started pouring into her head like a movie.

Murtasim was so close to her; she could have touched him. She could smell his perfume, his familiar scent, his familiar way of wearing glasses.

When they walked in the village, finding their way, his familiar way of holding her hand, uff!! The sense of security she felt.

His presence made her feel so secure, so protected. She wanted to end this distance that she had created between them and run back to him.

But! How could she forget about Haya? Has he married Haya? Are they together now?

Her thoughts trailed back to the flashback of the past four years of her life:

Four years ago:

Meerub arrived in Islamabad, the serene capital city, with nothing but her dreams and the desire to make a change.

She had enrolled herself in a prestigious law school and secured a spot in the hostel, where she would have a safe and supportive environment to pursue her studies.

Although she felt scared and uncertain about her decision, she knew it was the only way to escape the torment of her past.

Once settled, she tried to contact Saba, and as soon as she connected with her, she told her the whole story.

Saba was in shock; she had been told by her servant that Murtasim kept coming to her house looking for Meerub. Saba promised Meerub that she would keep her secret and would always be there to help her.

The hostel became Meerub's sanctuary, and the other girls living there quickly became her newfound family.

Among them was her roommate, Tania, who proved to be a constant pillar of strength and encouragement.

Tania understood Meerub's struggles and stood by her side, offering support and companionship throughout her journey, even helping Meerub secure a part-time job to sustain herself financially.

In addition to Saba, Marium also played a significant role in her life. Marium had always been kind-hearted and empathetic, and since Karachi, she had vowed to be her guardian angel. She provided her emotional support and offered advice and unconditional love, despite knowing that Meerub had left her brother.

During her second month of law school, Meerub discovered the unexpected news that she was pregnant.

This revelation brought a mix of emotions for Meerub. On one hand, she was overjoyed to bring a new life into the world, but on the other hand, she was worried about the additional responsibilities and the impact it would have on her studies.

She also felt guilty and scared of hiding the news from Murtasim and her family. Nevertheless, Meerub remained steadfast in her determination to continue.

With the support of Marium, Saba, and her newfound friends at the hostel, Meerub devised a plan.

She hired a nanny to help take care of the baby once he or she arrived, ensuring that she could continue her studies without compromising her child's well-being. It was not an easy decision for Meerub, but she knew it was the best option for her and her child.

Months passed, and as Meerub's due date drew near, the excitement in the hostel grew. The day finally arrived when Meerub gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. The joy that filled her heart was immeasurable, and in that moment, she knew that all the sacrifices and hardships had been worth it.

When Meesam was born, she couldn't believe the joy she brought to Meerub's life. She finally had someone whom she didn't have to share with anyone. Her Meesam would live her life as she wants, without any family pressure.

Despite the challenges she faced, Meerub remained determined to achieve her goals. She studied tirelessly, juggling her coursework, part-time job, and the impending responsibilities of motherhood.

Meerub moved into a small two-room apartment with Meesam, with the help of the nanny and the unwavering support of her loved ones, Meerub continued her studies, working diligently towards her law degree. Each day was a balancing act as she juggled her responsibilities as a student, mother, and provider, but she never gave up.

Years later, Meerub graduated from law school with honors, a shining testament to her unwavering determination and resilience.

Her journey had been long and arduous, but she had triumphed against all odds. She found a fulfilling career as a human rights lawyer, fighting for justice and making a difference in the lives of those who needed it most.

After law school she started working full-time at "Sach Ka Saath." This was the same place where Meerub had worked as a part-time employee in the last four years, so they all knew Meerub as a single mother with no family.

She owes a lot of money to Saba & Mariam, they have supported her not just emotionally but financially too, and Meerub always intends to return the money.

They often visit Islamabad to meet Meesam, infact Mariam was there for her delivery when Meesam was born.

While thinking about her past, she doze off to sleep.

———————