Back - at the Haveli

Meerub's heart was pounding in her chest as she stood before the grand Haveli that held both treasured memories and painful secrets. It had been four long and arduous years since she had last set foot inside those imposing walls. With her little daughter, Meesam, clutching her hand, she mustered the courage to face the past she had left behind.

As they approached the Haveli's entrance, Meerub's heart raced even faster. She could hear the faint sounds of laughter and celebration from within. The Haveli was decorated as it was for Marium's wedding, the night she left the house. Murtasim was a little behind her, following at the same pace.

She was walking in a trance when a passing servant (seemed like a new one) stopped near Murtasim and said, "Khan aap agaye, Maa Begum aap ka pooch rahee theen." The mention of Maa Begum made Meerub's heart race even faster. Murtasim signaled the servant to dismiss and came ahead to walk beside Meerub now.

Meerub looked at Murtasim with a question in her eyes, asking, "What's happening?" Before Murtasim could answer her, another servant came to Murtasim and said, "Khan aap ke kapre ready hain, Haya Bibi ne kaha hai aap jaldi Tayyar ho jain, Nikkah k liye mehmaan aane walay hain."

Meerub looked at Murtasim, anger flaring up in her eyes, and said, "You are marrying Haya? Why did you bring us here? I don't want to come between you two love birds. I will not stay here for even a minute. I am going to lea..." Before she could complete her sentence, Maa Begum came out of the drawing room, shocked to see Meerub with Murtasim and even more shocked to see a baby holding her hand.

The anxiousness that Meerub was feeling upon entering the Haveli was replaced with anger at the thought of Murtasim marrying Haya. Maa Begum walked towards Meerub and touched her face, saying with watery eyes, "Meerub! Kya sach main ye tum ho? Tum zinda ho? Kahan chalee gayee thee? Kya howa tha? Achanak kahan chalee gayee?"

Meerub, at the emotional outbreak of Maa Begum, started crying herself and just kept looking at her, unable to say anything. However, Murtasim stepped forward, held Meesam's hand, and looked at Maa Begum, saying, "Maa Sahab, ye meri beti Meesam hai."

Maa Begum could not believe her eyes and kept looking at Meerub, Murtasim, and then Meesam. She looked at Murtasim again with questioning eyes, as if asking, "What's all this?"

Meerub looked at Murtasim, wiped her tears, and said, "Mujhe..." Before she could complete her sentence, Murtasim looked at Maa Begum and asked, "Maa Sb, mehmaan kitnee dair main aain ge?"

Maa Begum: "Beta aane walay hain, but I can't think straight..."

Murtasim: "We can talk about all this later. Let me and Meerub get ready for the wedding." He turned to Meerub and said, "Chalain Meerub?"

Confused, Meerub turned and started walking with him. But Meesam was very intrigued by Maa Begum, so as they walk towards the corridor, Meesam turned back, with her cute smile, looked at Maa Begum, and waved at her. Something touched Maa Begum inside and brought a big smile to her face too.

Meerub followed Murtasim to their room, memories started flooding in—the similar walls, the furniture, the pictures—it seemed like nothing had changed in these past four years. To her astonishment, as she entered the room, it looked like the past four years had never been between her and that room. Everything was the same as when she left.

Once inside the room, she let go of Meesam's hand,  she was excited to be in a new place and wanted to explore the room. Murtasim closed the door carefully and came to stand in front of Meerub.

Murtasim: Haan bolo?

Meerub: Tum Haya se shadi?

Murtasim: Main shadi shuda hoon aur meri biwi meray samne hai.