Surprise Guest -part 2

Naurez with little Shahveer joined everyone for dinner. Since Meesam was off to bed early, due to school, her highchair was used for Shahveer to keep him away from the main dining table. He was a cute baby around 8 months old and looked exactly like Naurez.

MaaBegum took the head of the family chair, on her right sat Anwar, next to him sat Naurez and Mariam, and baby Shaveer, while on the other side sat Murtasim and Meerub.

The dinner went on with a very comfortable light talk, mostly between Murtasim Naurez and Anwar regarding politics and work conditions and taxes.

While Mariam and Meerub were engaged in a discussion related to healthy foods for babies and their mischievousness, MaBegum was smiling with contentment for having her whole family together.

"I have been facing some legal issues with my newly set up work, I have always worked abroad, and I am new to Pakistani laws for business." Naurez was talking to Murtasim. "I might need help with some clarifications required."

Murtasim smiled at him, "Of course anytime, in fact, we have our Lawyer in-house, maybe she can be of better help than me." He extended his arm around Meerub and dragged her into the conversation.

Meerub was occupied talking to Marium about how she could prepare baby food at home, rather than buying from stores, and as Murtasim's arm came around her she was shocked at such a display of affection in front of the whole family.

She immediately turned her face towards him, with questions in her eyes.

"Murtasim?" she whispered, "what happened?" She realized everyone was suddenly looking at her.

"What is it?" she inquired worriedly. She completely missed out on what conversation was going on between men.

Naurez started laughing at her reaction, which alerted Meerub more. "Batao na Murtasim kya howa?" she asked him again.

Before Murtasim, Naurez chipped in, "Bhabhi. I was asking Murtasim Bhai if I might need his help with some legal issues that I am facing in my business, and he said, "We have our Lawyer at home to help."

Meerub was at a loss of words for a while at the mere mention of her professional ability amongst the whole khandaan (family), but she was also very happy that she was being acknowledged as not just Meerub Murtasim Khan but also Advocate Meerub.

"Sure, I am available for whatever I can help with." She assured him with a shy smile.

"Thank you, Bhabhi, much appreciated." Naurez sounded genuinely thankful for the offer.

"Waisay Bhabhi, what are your plans for work.?" Naurez continued intrigued about her next action plan with regards to her job.

Before Meerub could respond, Murtasim took the matter into his own hands, "Meerub will be soon starting her work, she just resigned from her previous job last week."

Listening to this the only ripple that could be seen was on MaBegum's face. She looked at Murtasim and Meerub with confusion in her eyes. Certainly, she had no idea that Meerub would opt for work after coming back and with Meesam.

Meerub avoided looking at MaBegum but Murtasim made eye contact with her mother, warning her silently not to say anything about it.

"That's very good Bhabhi, you should continue your career, after all, it's not easy to become a Lawyer, especially with the kind of struggle you put in."

As these words spilt out of Naurez's mouth, Meerub knew that it hurt Murtasim to be reminded of her struggle with Meesam alone, so under the table, she lightly placed her hand on his thigh and squeezed it in reassurance, that she had no complaints.