Please Forgive Me!

The next morning, when Meerub stepped out of the house, Murtasim was standing there, waiting for her.

Meerub was perplexed, she had no option but to go with him and talk. As Meerub started walking towards his car, he got out of the car and came towards the passenger seat to open the door. She quietly sat in the car without looking at him, although her heart was beating so fast as if it would come out of her chest.

She hated the fact that he still had that effect on her, that she still became nervous in his presence, and that she still felt his presence around her.

Murtasim started driving, and she didn't know where he was taking her. Her mind was filled with thoughts about what he would say when he found out about Meesam, how will he react.

Suddenly, the car stopped. Meerub looked around and realized they were at a park.

She looked at him questioningly, and he said, "It's a quiet place to talk. Unless you want to go somewhere else?" Meerub opened the door and stepped out.

They walked inside the park, and Meerub walked towards a bench. She sat on the bench, knowing that he was coming behind her. He stopped near the bench but did not sit next to her. Instead, he sat on a rock opposite the bench, looking at her.

Meerub: "Kya baat karni thi?" (What did you want to talk about?)

Murtasim: "Tum aaj bhi meri biwi ho." (You are still my wife.)

Meerub: "Thank you for the information, but what is the purpose of all this?"

Murtasim: "Purpose? Meerub, do you have any idea how I spent these years after you left? Every morning, I woke up hoping to see you, hoping that today I would find you somewhere and my punishment will end, and you will come back. Every night, I prayed that you would come to me in my dreams so I could see you again..."

Meerub was not looking at him; she was looking at her hands. His words felt like raindrops on her burning heart. But the anger she had felt towards him in the past four years, blaming him for every hardship and obstacle, was still there. The pain she went through while having Meesam—"MEESAM!" What about Meesam? What will he say? How will he react? Should she tell him about her?

She was not looking at him, but she was listening to him. She raised her head and looked at him, her eyes filled with resentment. Still, she said nothing.

Murtasim locked his eyes with hers and asked, "Why did you leave?"

Meerub: "You know why I left!"

Murtasim: "No, I don't know! We had an intimate moment; we gave ourselves to each other ... I know the circumstances were not favorable, but you were with me all the way. So why did you leave me? You left everything—your parents, your house, you left ME! Despite knowing how much I loved you!"

Meerub (looking straight into his eyes, anger flaring):

"You loved me?! Murtasim, you left me at my parents' house. You knew I didn't want to live or connect with them, yet you left me at their door. You mistrusted me with Rohail! And I'm sure when I left, you must have assumed that I had gone to Rohail." (Murtasim looked down, ashamed, because yes, he did assume that.) She didn't stop there; it seemed like she had been holding it in for years.

"You, Murtasim, you always had feelings for Haya!" (Murtasim raised his head to protest, but Meerub lift her hand to quiet him.) "Yes, you did! I saw you both entangled in a hug, Murtasim. You took her to the village alone for two days! Why, Murtasim? You have power over everyone. How could you agree to take her?