10 | Grief and Flowers.

Kiaran's POV:

Sitting in the darkness of her room, tissues scattered across the bed and broken items of her childhood, Kiaran lay on her bed feeling utterly hopeless.

Just the other day, she received the news that her father had passed away in his sleep. The doctors were sure he was going to make a full recovery, but— even after his surgery, which she hoped to make it to, he was too far gone. He had fought for months to stay alive, but now he was gone.

Today was Wednesday, and she had an excuse to be out of class. Hanji and Mike had classes, so they couldn't stay behind, but somehow, the loneliness she feared was becoming a reality.

Levi was discharged and on his way home after receiving the news.

But it didn't matter if they were here or not. She didn't want to stay like this anymore.

She hadn't left her room since she got the news, but something told her to get up and go to the hospital to see her father before she had to make any plans for a funeral.

The sudden ring of the doorbell echoed throughout the house as she turned to the bedroom door it had been left open. She closed her eyes, not wanting to answer, hoping this was all just a bad dream and she would wake up soon.

The doorbell rang a few more times, ding, ding, ding.

How long did she have her eyes closed for? Somehow, she managed to get on her feet and dragged herself down the stairs. She was still wearing the same outfit from class, and her makeup was all smudged on her face.

Despite it all, she was walking towards the door. Flipping open the little door to the peephole, she saw Eren standing outside with a bouquet—preferably white lilies.

Backing away from the door for a moment, she breathed, smoothing her hair back before reaching out to open the door. Upon opening the door, Eren gently smiled, relieved to see she was okay. "Hey—um. Is it okay if I come in?" he asked.

Kiaran looked at the flowers he was holding as they brought back memories. The pure site of them made her heartache. She nodded before opening the door more to let him inside.

Once he came in, she felt him pull her into a warm embrace. Her eyes widened as his arms were comforting yet strong. "I'm sorry about your dad—I thought maybe these would cheer you up," he said, pulling away and offering the flowers to her.

Her eyes fell back on the flowers as she extended her arms, accepting the abundance. They were fresh. He probably went out of his way to get them from a florist early this morning. "Thank you," Kiaran said flatly.

"You're welcome—" Eren said.

As she walked towards the kitchen to find a vase, she sluggishly slid her feet across the floor, her feet aching from her heels. Her eyes were barely open as she found the vase and placed it into the sink.

Turning on the facet, her eyes became heavy as she closed them, listening to the water run in the sink.

She struggled for a moment before feeling his presence behind her. The water turned off as she opened her eyes to see Eren had turned it off. The vase was overflowing with water, as she didn't realize. She could feel him lean into her, his fingers brushing against hers. "Here, let me help you," Eren said softly.

She turned around slowly, her back pressing against the sink as her eyes traveled up to meet his. They were still desperate, like a plead calling out just for her. He was so handsome, her eyes landing on his chiseled chest as it flared up with each breath.

Eyeing him back up, his lips parted as if he wanted to say something but remained silent as he could only gaze at her.

Her lips pressed together as she felt her chest rise, her breasts flaring, and her dress felt suffocating. "Why are you doing this—" Kiaran asked.

Eren finally opened his mouth, swallowing a bit as she watched his adams apple rise and fall. "Because you need someone here," he said, leaning closer.

His hands resting on each side of the counter, his body slowly pressing against hers. His head leaned down to hers, the few fly-away strands brushing against his face from his bun.

Kiaran put her palms firmly against his chest as her eyes fell slowly. The images flashing in her head from her dream, her heart couldn't take it. He's too good for me. . she thought as the tears started to form. "Kiaran—look at me,"

She heard his voice in a whisper, his calm and comforting tone. His hands coming up to her cheeks, she forced herself to keep her eyes closed because if she looked—she would get lost in those perfectly teal green eyes. "Look at me," Eren repeated. "As long as I am here... no one can hurt you."

He was quoting Billie Eilish as it was one of her favorite artists, even making covers as she remembered that one song. Everything I Ever Wanted, that she did a duet with Eren.

Slowly but surely, the memories of him were coming back.

His fingers brushed across her face, wiping her tears. His touch was so comforting. Unlike Levi's, it felt loving and honest. "Please, look at me, Kiaran," Eren repeated one last time.

Kiaran reached up, feeling his hand, intertwining her fingers with him as she wanted to give in more than anything. Opening her eyes, he gazed into her. He smiled, thumbing her cheeks. "You're so beautiful," he breathed softly.

Her heart began to flutter as his words brought more tears. "Stop—don't say things like that," Kiaran sniffled.

"I wouldn't lie to you," Eren admitted. "Please... don't let this defeat you."

She pulled her hand away from his, stepping past him as her heart couldn't take it anymore. Holding her head in her hand, she rubbed her forehead as the tears flowed. Chewing on her lower lip, she breathed in sharply. "You should go—Levi will be here soon," Kiaran said.

"Kiaran. I don't care about that—I only want you to understand?" Eren said, walking up behind her, his fingers running through her hair.

God. Stop, please... She stood firm before turning to him. "Eren—please leave, okay? I'll see you in class," Kiaran pulled off a smile.

His expression seemed pain, but he obliged. As she walked him out, he didn't say anything, probably conflicted by her rejection.

Once he left, she returned to the kitchen to look at the flowers in the vase. He probably had done so. As she brushed her fingers across the petals, tears continued streaming down her face as the memory of her making flower crowns with her father with the same flowers burned in her mind.

Out of anger, she pushed the vase into the sink, water splashing everywhere, and the flowers scattered as she slid onto the floor, sobbing over the loss of her father. Daddy. You promised you wouldn't leave. You promised... please let this just be a mistake. Please. Please.

Slumped against the kitchen floor, she cried to herself as she had already lost her birth parents in the most tragic way possible. Her brothers killed before her very eyes. Erwin, being the only adult left in her life as her father. If he was gone what was the point? Bawling in a baby she tried to think of there was a mistake of some sort. Because he was coming home. He had promised. He wouldn't lie.

Lvdymontague
Vote/Comment/Share!!