39: ASSASSINATION

"Can you fly towards where the Baroness resides? I want to know her plan even if I had this distinct idea of her plan. I'm just making sure of it." She said, asking Noctua to be her eyes just like she had gotten an actual piece of reliable information.

"So you want me to be your eyes. Why can't you just ask that maid of yours? You are wasting my energy on that. I really deserve something else after this." Noctua complained. It's hard flapping wings for miles away.

"What do you mean?" Rachelle asked, her eyes squinted and her face frowned when hearing Noctua's answer. "I mean I have no qualms with you asking for anything as long as it is within my reach." She added after realizing what he meant.

"Do you think I would do something for free? You really are an idiot. I meant benefits!" Noctua scorned her, gently picking her skin to make her understand how annoyed the bird was by her stupid answer.

Rachelle flinched because of its little peck and hiss at him. "Alright, I get what you mean. Isn't that why I said that? But anyway, tell me what you want and I will prepare it. As long as your information is accurate and very helpful." She responded, glaring at Noctua while rubbing the red spot.

"A fine-graded steak would be fine with lots of fruits accompanied by the steaks. Fresh water also, of the highest quality that is." He said with a smug expression, nodding his head in satisfaction while deluding himself with the food that he asked for.

"Am I not giving you food every time? Wow, you sound like I am starving you for days." Rachelle complained, feeling a bit hurt yet was more annoyed with Noctua. Noctua then raised its head, rolling its eyes.

"Wait... That's true... But I really can't think of something else." Noctua replied, struggling with the choice of reward he wanted to have. Of course, he wouldn't do it for free. There's no freebies in this world.

"Just... You know, you can always ask me for something. If the right time comes when you know about your reward, then you can tell me. No worries, it's not a limited-time offer anyway." Rachelle said towards Noctua.

"Right, great suggestion. Well then, I'm off the hook." Noctua replied as it started to flap its wings until his entire being floated in the air. "Be careful not to get spotted." Rachelle wished Noctua luck and bid her goodbye as the bird flew out of her window, proceeding to snoop to the Baron's home.

"I see that you've been talking with the bird again, Master." Just right in time, Olivia entered the room with food on a silver tray, carried to her room. Olivia placed the tray on the table while Rachelle stood up and went to the table where Olivia placed the food.

"Hm. Is there anything worthy to report?" She asked, grabbing the knife and starting to cut through the duck meat, and didn't bother to look at Olivia as she wanted to have some quality time with her food.

"It seems that the Baroness had a relationship with the past Duchess, like friendship and offered her a job to become your Nanny. The Duchess was also the one who was responsible for her marriage with the Baron." Olivia reported.

"What do you mean, she's a commoner?"

"Yes according to the rumours I grasped tonight. When the Duchess died, the Duke still gave her the position of being your nanny until she quit when the new Grand Duchess arrived for unknown reasons. Even the Duke was appalled with her decision to quit." She added.

"I see... Well, that doesn't change or add anything at all. Same old information I got with my brother. It pisses me off that there's nothing I can use against her." She complained, frowning over the information.

"I think there is no other information from her aside from being your Nanny and your History Professor, Master. Maybe because several employees or most of the employees today are new. I even ask those staff who have been staying here for a long time but apparently, that's that." She replied she couldn't do anything about it anymore since the information was limited.

"I see. What about my family? Did they ask why I am not coming down to eat with them?" She asked, changing the topic since she couldn't hear anything else from that woman anyway.

"The Duke and the Young Duke asked why you weren't joining them and I told them that you are currently resting and would like to eat your dinner in your room." She answered her question without missing anything.

"I see... How about the two? Do they look like they're planning something terrible?" She asked, taking a bite of the meat. They have been silent ever since and Helena kept on trying to win Alexander's heart once again.

"Nothing, Master. They didn't say anything. They're silent." She replied.

Rachelle sighed in relief. She doesn't want anyone to ruin her peace just for today. Thank God that Helena's on her right mind today. Praise the Goddess for the blessing she gave Rachelle tonight.

"I see. You can now return, Olivia. I can manage. I'll call you later if everything is done." She said, commanding Olivia to retreat to her quarters and wait for her order. Olivia nodded her head, bowing it and left the room silently without opening her mouth at all.

"Hm... It's lonely..." Rachelle muttered as she continued to eat in silence inside the spacious room. There was really something that kept on bugging her for real about that Baroness that she couldn't seem to put her trust in.

Of course, aside from the fact that she's lowkey blaming her for the Duchess's death, there really is something that she couldn't figure out about that impertinent woman who has no respect for her.

Time went by and it was time for Rachelle to sleep and get some rest before preparing for tomorrow. Another battle to face against her family. There's no such thing as resting for someone whose family is full of crap.

As Haven lay down, she stared at her bed's ceiling, and couldn't seem to fall asleep despite the night not getting any younger at all. The thought about the Baroness kept on irking her head that she just wanted to bash her head on the wall.

Suddenly, she heard a loud thud that made her frown. Something just made a sound inside her room.

She immediately squinted her eyes, pretending to sleep while trying to observe what could be the thing that she heard. Her hand on her finger, specifically on her immaculate ring, ready to remove it in case there's a burglar that went inside.

The balcony's door slowly opened after it was being twisted and turned. Seems like the person who couldn't take it anymore ruined the lock. This dude lacks patience but so does she.

Her body faces the balcony's door, moving along while pretending to sleep. She could barely see the shadow approaching her. Her heart started to beat loudly as her mind sent her panic senses.

But her body remained calm despite the feeling her mind had been sending through every vein. Her hand remained on the ring, ready to remove it to fight back—yet she forgot that she has no real skills about how to swing a fucking sword!

The man, who's an assailant started to creep into her bed, standing close to her as he raised a silver knight, reflecting the moonlight. Determination was even in his face as he really planned to kill her immediately while she slept.

"So long, brat." He even mocked her, based on the voice since it's a guy, and slammed the knife right in her direction at a fast pace!

However, Rachelle acted fast, rolling to the other side as she fell on the bed with a loud thud. Her heart was pounding inside her ribcage, blood flowing through her cheek as she got accidentally hit by the knife.

The assassin was shocked as he realised that Rachelle had escaped from her death, standing in front of him while panting heavily. Seeing how she was still standing despite the blood dripping down to her face, he smirked, like a sadist having fun with their play.

"Well, well... And here I thought I could kill you in a minute." He said with such an arrogant tone. He was oozing with arrogance, trying to scare off a little girl whom he thinks that she's easy to kill.

However, from someone who grew up in slums filled with dangerous people associated with each other, even having the moment to resort to stealing to live, he doesn't scare her at all.

But for the sake of the character, she has to act as if she's scared of this small man trying to intimidate her.

She backed down, face trying to look like she was scared while she hid her hands on her back, gripping the ring from her finger, ready to remove the sword despite her not having any background skills at all.

This is about to get bloody.