New Moon: Chapter Forty-Six

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Oh great. A sound I am a little too familiar with. Oh shit, wait. I'm fucking alive. I take back what I said. That noise is music to my ears. It takes me a little bit of time, but I finally am able to open my eyes. I'm in a hospital bed, of course, with the biggest cast ever on my leg.

I turn my head and see Bella asleep on the couch alongside the wall. I clear my throat, "Bella. Bella!" She jerked awake and ran over to me.

"Janetta, oh my god." She pushes the call light for the nurse to come in. "Thank god. You're finally awake." She looks like hell. She has dark circles under her eyes and a blank look in her eyes, even though her voice is emotional.

"How long was I out?" Just as I said that my nurse comes in.

"A week this time, Janetta." Lilly. A nurse I've had before. "Sweetheart, you are one of the most accident-prone people I have ever met in my life."

"W-What happened?" I asked. I want to know what the story was.

She looked at Bella. Bella looks at me. "You were trying to show off that you can climb up a tree, and you snapped a branch and fell. Your leg broke your fall, snapping your femur in half. You bled out. A lot."

It all rushes back to me. The paper cut. The cake. The blood. The black eyes. Jasper's miserable face.

"Oh my god, Jasper! Where is he?!" I ask. "I need him here. Where is he?" I look up at Bella, who has a blank, sad stare in her eyes. "B-Bella, where is he?"

She turned and looked at Lilly. "I need a moment alone with her, please."

"Just a few minutes. I'll go call the doctor." She steps out, and Bella pulls up a chair next to me.

"Bella. Please. Where is he?"

"He's gone." Her eyes turned blank. Holding back any emotion she was feeling.

"Gone? In what way?"

"The Cullens packed up and left town. They left us, Janetta."

"NO!" I screamed. "No, no, no, no! Tell me this is a sick joke." Tears start rolling down my face.

"He's gone, Janetta. He moved away. The Cullens don't care about us. They never did, or at least that's what Edward said to me." I keep crying. The crying turns to gasping for air.

He left me.