New Moon: Chapter Forty-Nine

"How lovely to see you again, Bella." His red eyes dart to me. "And who is this lovely lady?"

"M-My sister." She responds. His eyes light up. As if he knows who I am.

"You're the other pet of the Cullens. Am I correct?"

"Uh, excuse you. I am not a pet." He's out of his fucking mind. He laughs at that.

"You're the feisty one. Good to know. It'll make killing you way more fun."

"Woah, wait what?" I ask. Yeah, definitely screwed.

"Why? You were on our side." Bella asks. Oh yeah. He was the one who "betrayed" Victoria and James to warn the Cullens about their plans. Talk about a double betrayal.

"Well. I was. But I'm still close with Victoria. I'm here as a favor to her. She wanted to know if you were still under the protection of the Cullens. She wants you dead. An eye for an eye. Your lover killed James. It is only fair that his lover dies as well."

"You don't have to do this." Bella pleads. Girl, he is not gonna listen to you.

"I was going to report back to her and let her have you, but you smell so delicious. Mouthwatering even. I must have a taste." Nope, nope, nope. Absolutely not.

"Hold on there buddy. You don't have to do anything for Victoria. You knew it was wrong to side with her then. You must know it is wrong to side with her now."

"I suppose. But I'm so hungry." His eyes turn and look at Bella. He's gonna kill her. Fuck that.

"Take me." I declare. Both he and Bella stare at me.

"No, take me," Bella says. Dumbass with a death wish.

"How lovely. Two choices. I'll need a moment to decide." He pauses and seems to be thinking of the options. Bella grabs my hand. She's shaking. "I have decided. I will choose... the sister." Fuck.

"What? Why?" Bella asks.

"She can satiate my appetite, and Victoria can still have you. A perfect situation."

I stand there with my shoulders high and start to walk towards him. I am protecting my sister. That's what I keep telling myself.

"I love you, Bella. I'm your big sister. I will always protect you." I turn and say to her. She looks like she's going to cry. "Take care of Dad for me." She starts to run towards me, but a noise stops us all in our tracks. Growls. What the fuck? Suddenly, a pack of huge ass wolves walk and make their way out of the forest. Holy shit. Before I can even say another word, Laurent grabs me and runs away with me.

The wolves chase after him, but he has the advantage of a head start. By the time the wolves realized what was going on, he was gone. I close my eyes and feel us running faster. The growls of wolves seem to get further away with every moment. Finally, he stops and drops me.

"Alone at last, darling." Shivers crawl up my spine. Only Jasper can call me that. Called me that, I mean.

"Just get it over with." He stares at me, and then quickly gets on top of me.

"This is going to be delicious." He sinks his teeth into my neck, and he is quickly pushed off of me. I didn't hear the wolves, so I'm not sure who it was.

I can't focus on that. All I can focus on is the burning sensation all over my body. Every nerve of mine is on fire. I can hear myself screaming, but it seems so far away. Finally, the pain is too much, and an all too familiar feeling comes to the surface. I black out and drift away into an excruciating darkness.