New Moon: Chapter Fifty-One

Oh great. My abilities are coming back. At least, that is what I am assuming is happening to me. It has been so long since I've had them. I'm not sure why this is happening, but I do know this is going to make this transformation quite interesting.

"Janetta? Are you okay?" I hear Tati call out.

"Just peachy." I groan and sit up. "This hasn't happened in a long time."

"What do you mean? What happened to you?"

"It's a long story."

"Well, we have nothing but time." She's not wrong.

"It's just... very secretive. If the wrong people find out, things can turn bad very quickly."

"Who am I going to tell?" She motions to the cabin. "I live alone, I don't have any friends, and I don't go out much." She's right, I have no reason not to trust her.

"Have you heard of siphoners?" Her eyes widen.

"I have. Very rare species." She pauses. "Oh, shit. You're one of them?"

"Yeah."

"How did you figure it out?" I told her the whole story. Everything that happened involving my abilities, what happened when I met the Cullens, how I gained their abilities, and, of course, how it ended with them.

"Wow. So, that's how you crossed paths with the vampire that turned you?"

"Yup, he was friends with the guy that tried to kill my sister."

"So, the things that come with being a vampire aren't foreign to you." I let out a chuckle.

"Not at all. Dating one came in handy now."

"Well, I promise to keep your secret." I smile at her. Something crossed my mind just now.

"Wait a minute." She turns and completely looks at me. "This only happens when I touch someone who has an ability." Her eyes widen slightly. "Which means you have one. What is it?"

"Fire." She states.

"Fire?"

"You know, like, pyrokinesis."

"Oh shit, that's fucking cool." Holy crap. That's a big one.

"I suppose. It wasn't that cool when I figured it out."

"What happened?"

"I got extremely mad about something, some small thing. The next thing I knew, my next-door neighbor's house was on fire."

"Woah. Was anyone in the house?"

"Yeah. The whole family." Her voice lowers to a whisper. "I tried to take the fire away, but I couldn't. They all died."

"I'm so sorry."

"I haven't forgiven myself for it yet, especially since I started the fire over something so small." She pauses for a moment. "I moved away. Isolated myself. I didn't want anything like that to ever happen again. I dedicated my time to figuring out how to stop a fire as quickly as I could start one. I can now stop a fire within a few seconds. Vampire seconds, not human seconds."

"That's impressive." I reach out and hold her hand. "You're not alone anymore. And, you need to find a way to forgive yourself. You did not start that fire intentionally. You tried everything you could to stop it."

"You're right. It's just going to take time." We sit there in silence for a few moments before she stands up and holds out her hand. "Come on, you need to show me these powers you have."

"Oh, I call them abilities."

"Why?"

"I don't know why, it's what Anna told me they were."

"Honey, they are powers. Based on what you've told me, these 'abilities' make you extremely powerful. They are powers."

"I have never thought of myself as powerful."

"Why not?"

"I guess because there is no one else I can relate to and I am all alone in that way."

"With these powers and now vampire powers, you are probably going to be one of the most powerful supernaturals there is."

"That's crazy to think."

"Accept it, honey, you're going to be amazing. Well, you already are, but now even more."

She grabs my hand and takes me outside. We go behind the cabin to give me space to breathe and do my thing. I stand in the middle of a grassy patch and try to focus on my telekinesis power. It used to come so naturally to me. I try for what seems like hours, and nothing. I let out a huff. I move on to mind-reading. I stare at Tati and focus on her thoughts. I focus for a long time, nothing. Emotion reading, nothing. Future seeing, nothing.

"I can't do it." I sit down on the grass. "I probably lost them all permanently."

She comes and sits next to me. "When did you lose them?"

"The car accident. It took away my baby and my powers. I guess when the car hit me, I felt something change in me. I couldn't pinpoint it, but something shifted."

"That was your powers going dormant. In my opinion, which might not mean much, your powers are probably dormant and not gone."

"Why do you think that?"

"Someone so powerful couldn't possibly lose all that power from a simple car accident." She holds my hand and lightly squeezes it. "Can you try something? I think it could help."

"Sure."

"I want you to focus on the exact moment the car hit you."

"What? Why?"

"If you focus on the exact moment the powers went dormant, you may be able to find them again. Use your mind to reach deep down and pull them out." I look at her hesitantly. "I know it's going to be painful, but trust me. I truly believe this is work." I nod at her. "Now, close your eyes." I do as she says. "Take a deep breath and open your mind up and let it work."

I take as deep a breath as I can. I think back to the accident. My vampire mind helps me focus better on the memory. I focus my mind on the memory of the impact of the car and slow it down as best I can. I let myself feel the impact on my mind, and I feel my powers go farther and farther away from me. My mind takes over and try to reach out and grab them. I sit there for what feels like a long time, and just as I give up, I hear Tati say something.

"Janetta. Open your eyes." She says softly.

I open my eyes and what I see is incredible. All the leaves surrounding us are floating in the air. There is no wind, so it must be me. I relax my mind and the leaves drop to the ground. I focus on them again and try to get them to float again. It happened almost instantaneously. I look at Tati and focus on her emotions. She is feeling happy and proud. I look into her mind.

I'm so proud of you, Janetta. I know you can hear my thoughts.

"It worked," I whisper. I smile and let out a huge breath. I'm back.