New Moon: Chapter Forty-Eight

I've been spending more time with my family. Making sure to actually try and include myself, not sitting on the sidelines. It has worked. I feel a lot better. I'm learning I can be happy without him. I can finally say his name and not be a crying mess.

Jasper and I once had a conversation about the concept of mates. He was confident we were mates. I believed it. I guess we weren't, because there's no way anyone would leave their mate when they had the option to be with them forever.

Bella and I have gotten closer. Going through everything we had experienced, brought us closer together. We are definitely both still sad, but we don't let it rule our lives anymore. Jacob has a lot to do with Bella's recent change in mood. I don't like him. I can't put my finger on it, but I don't trust him. He is a little too friendly with Bella, and she's a little too boy-stupid to realize he's got a thing for her.

I'm lying on my bed, mindlessly scrolling on my phone, when Bella walks in.

"Hey. Whatcha up to?" She asks.

"Nothing. I'm bored out of my mind."

"Wanna go on a hike with me?"

"Ew, why?"

"There is this beautiful field that I used to go to. With, you know who. It's very peaceful. The sun is partially out, and, no offense, you need the vitamin D." I gasp.

"Whatever. You're one to talk. Pale face, as your boy toy says." She rolls her eyes. That's Jacob's nickname for Bella. It annoys her to no end. I use it to my advantage. "But, honestly, that sounds nice. I'll get dressed."

I through on a brand new pair of leggings, a pullover sweatshirt, and a pair of running shoes. I've had to get a whole new wardrobe because I have lost a lot of weight. Like a bad amount. Like I said, I refused to leave my room. That included meals.

We head out and start our journey. Fucking hikes I swear. Too much. I hate exercise not gonna lie.

"Bella, I already hate this."

"Girl. It's been 5 minutes."

"So? I'm out of shape."

"Well, we are getting you into shape. It's only about 25 more minutes."

"25 MINUTES?!? Bitch. You're crazy." I start to turn around until Bella calls my name.

"Netta. Please. I need this. It's one of the only ways I keep myself from going crazy. I feel slightly close to him. A memory of him is always there. But not a strong enough memory to where I risk losing myself again." I pause for a few moments.

"Fine." I start walking up the hill again. "But, you'll be tending to my blisters when we get home."

"Deal." She smiles at me and begins to walk too.

We finally make it to the field, and, to be honest, it's beautiful. It reminds me of something. The vision from before Jasper and I got together. He was holding me in a field. Just like this one. Wow. Nice to finally see it in person.

We both are quiet. We find a nice spot and sit down, letting the sun hit us just right. The sounds of nature fill the air. It was peaceful until a voice began to speak.

"Well hello there, lovely humans." Bella freezes.

"Laurent." Why do I remember that name? It takes me a few moments until it comes to me. Oh, we are so screwed.