New Moon: Chapter Fifty-Four

The moment we were out of the airport, Alice got us a car and then we were flying down the streets of Italy. If this weren't a dire situation, I'd be walking these streets alone, taking in this beautiful country. But sadly, this isn't a time for being a tourist. As we drive down the streets, more and more people come into view, dressed in red cloaks.

"What the hell is with all these cloaks?" I ask.

"It's Saint Marcus Day," Alice replies, focusing on the road.

"What the hell is that?"

"Who cares?! Drive faster, Alice." Bella yells. Damn. "Why aren't you more worried, Netta?"

"I hide things better than you, Bella." I roll my eyes. "And I've got a million different possibilities flashing in my mind right now, trying to figure out a way to help us all out, and keep us from dying." She shuts up and looks out the window.

"What is his most recent plan?" Bella asks Alice. I haven't tried looking for their futures because it hurts too much to see his face in my mind, so I am letting Alice deal with the visions.

"They are planning on stepping out into public at noon. When the sun is at its highest." She presses on the gas harder. "They will be shirtless, revealing their skin to the world. The Volturi won't let that last more than a few seconds. They act very quickly." Bella and I exchange a glance. In other words, we will have an extremely short period to get them to see us.

"I am going to try and get you two as close to the clock tower as I can, then you will run towards it. They will be in the small alleyway right next to it."

I roll down my window and hold my arm out into the sun. No sparkles. "Well, there's another thing I wasn't expecting." Alice looks and her eyes widen.

"Well, we won't have to worry about you while trying to keep those two from shining bright." We exchange a glance. "We will discuss this later."

I look at the clock. 11:58. "Alice." I yell.

"Grab Bella and run. Tati and I will catch up."

The car halts to a stop. We jump out of the car and start running. I grab Bella and I rush us to the tower. I stop right next to the big fountain in the center of the courtyard. Bella and I stare at the alley, and we see two shadowy figures approaching the light. Their faces come to light. Bella takes off, running to Edward.

I heard him before I looked at his face. I knew his breathing. I knew how he sounded. My vampire hearing just made it more profound. "Jasper," I whisper lightly.

Just as he steps one foot out into the light, his head perks up. His eyes lock with mine. Holy fuck. The different emotions in those eyes radiating off of him are crazy. I see Bella slam into Edward's chest, and his arms wrap around her immediately. I look back at Jasper, he's still frozen in place. He doesn't believe I'm here. His emotions are telling me that. I run to him, grabbing in a second later. I pull him back into the shadows. He holds me close.

"Janetta." He lets out a breath that sounds like he has been holding in for a very long time. "You're alive." He doesn't let go of me. His hands run up and down my back. His face is in my hair, and he's breathing in my scent. I use whatever strength I had in that moment to push him off of me.

"You need to double-check your facts before you believe someone."

"I'll remember that for the future." The corners of his mouth twitch upwards slightly. If I didn't have my great sight, I wouldn't have seen it. He looks me up and down and I see his demeanor change. "What happened to you?"

"I'll give you three guesses." I say. Keep it together Janetta. Do not crack. You are still angry at him, even though he just tried to kill himself because he thought you were dead.

"You're not human anymore." It sounds more like a question than a statement.

"Ding, ding, ding." His face drops, and he looks almost angry.

"Who did this?" He is getting angry. "Who turned you?"

"Our old friend, Laurent." His eyes widen.

"That bastard."

"Don't worry. He's dead."

"Good. Should've killed him the first time." He steps closer to me and brushes his hand against my cheek. "You look even more beautiful. I didn't even know that was possible."

I lightly take his hand from my face. "We will talk later," I say coldly.

"Greetings, gentlemen." I hear Edward say. Here we go.

"We should take this conversation to a more private venue." One of two male vampires says.

"That shouldn't be necessary, Felix," Edward states. "No rules have been broken."

"The Volturi would like a word with you all." The other vampire says.

"Bella, Janetta. Why don't you two go and enjoy the festival?" He's trying to get us out of here safely.

"No, they will join us as well. Aro is quite interested in meeting them." He says, eyeing Bella and me up and down. Ugh, gross.

"They are not involved in this in any kind of way, Demetri." Jasper jumps in, stepping in front of me, and shielding me from them.

"Yes, they are. They are the reason you two almost made a spectacle of yourselves." Demetri replies, sounding irritated and bored. Before Jasper could bite back, the sound of someone walking towards us fell on our ears.

"Now boys, let's behave ourselves. There are ladies present." Alice says, joining us.

"Where is Tati?" I question.

"I'll tell you later." She whispers back to me. 

"Enough." A loud voice declares. We all turn and look at the small figure walking towards us from deep in the alleyway.

"Jane." Edward and Jasper both say. Uhhh, who the fuck is this bitch and why did Jasper say her name that way? Chill Netta. Don't show your jealousy.

"Follow me." She says. She turns around and walks back towards the door she came out of. She doesn't look to see if we are following her, because she knows we will. Danger radiates off of her. This bitch is bad news. Lovely. Into the lion's den we go.