Pre-Twilight: Chapter Twenty-One

I leave for Rio tomorrow morning. I'm nervous but also very excited. I have only left the country once for a school trip to Vancouver, so luckily, I already had a passport. I'm going through my checklist and ensuring I have everything I need. I'm going to be gone for the weekend and the whole week. And Alice was particular in telling me what I needed to pack and what not to pack. The list is very extensive. 

As I am finishing up, I hear a knock on the door. It opens and in walks a nervous-looking Anna.

"Hey, Anna. What's up?"

"Just wanted to check in on you before you head off to the Cullens' house." She shifts uncomfortably right after that sentence.

I give her a look. "Okay, now the truth."

"I wanted to give you... this." She holds out a plastic bag with something in it.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Just look in it." I take the bag and open it. My jaw drops the second I see the box.

"You got me condoms?!"

"Hush. Your father feels awkward enough about it."

"Wait, you both were in on this."

"Netta, we are not naïve. There is a very real chance something... could happen between the two of you, and we just want you to be safe."

"You do know nothing could ever happen between him and me? In that department, I mean."

"Look. I know he could never get you pregnant, but still. There is no research on whether vampires can have STDs." My eyes go wide. At least she has taken the news of him being a vampire well.

"Okay. Glad we got that out of the way." I stand up and put the bag in my open suitcase. "I think I have everything now." I close up my two suitcases and put them on the ground.

"Think you have enough stuff?" She asks, letting out a small laugh.

"Alice's list was very detailed. I packed what I had on my list and hers. I should be able to live through the apocalypse if it happened while I was gone."

She stands up and takes my hands in hers. "Are you nervous?"

"A little." She gives me the same look I gave her. "Okay, a lot. He told me he loved me and hasn't said it since."

"Don't forget he thought you were asleep."

"Fair point."

"Do you love him?" She asks softly. That's the million-dollar question.

"I-I don't know. Is it too early to say it?"

"You've been together for about two months. I wouldn't say it's too early. Hell, I told your father after a month." She gives me a soft smile. "Sometimes, you just know."

"I guess so." Our conversation is interrupted by a knock on the front door. "That must be Jasper." He suggested I spend the night at his place so we can just head straight to the airport in the morning, which is four A.M.

I grab my suitcases and head down the stairs with Anna. Jasper and my dad are standing in the living room making small talk.

"Please take care of her for me." My dad finishes as I get off the last stair.

"I can take care of myself very much," I smirk at them.

"Of course, you can, sweetheart. Double protection." I gave him a look. I saw his face get red at that.

"Yeah, yeah." Jasper walks over to me and kisses me on my forehead.

"I'm going to take your luggage to the car." He smiles and takes both my suitcases and my backpack out the door.

"Okay, young lady. Now you be on your best behavior, and please be careful." My dad says as he walks over to me. "But also have fun."

"But not too much fun, right?" He knows what I'm talking about.

"I'm going to try and push that out of my mind." He wraps me in a tight hug and kisses my head. "I love you, Netta." He passes me over to Anna, and she hugs me even tighter.

"Have fun, be safe. Wear sunscreen. And take pictures, please." I nod and pull away.

"Will do." Jasper walks back into the house as we are finishing our goodbyes. I take his hand and smile at him. "We should head out."

"Okay. Love you, Netta." Anna says.

"Love you too." We walk out and head to the car. He opens the door for me and closes it after I get in. He walks around to the driver's side and gets in. As we pull out of the driveway, I wave goodbye to dad and Anna, who are standing at the front door.

"Is it okay if I go straight to bed when we get to your house?" I ask.

"Of course, sweetie. You need to get your rest. We will be flying a good bit of the day tomorrow. It won't be as exciting if you're already exhausted."

"Very true."

"We will be the only ones at the house tonight, so it'll be quieter." He says.

"Yeah, it's always deafening at your place," I say sarcastically. "Where is your family?"

"They left to go hunt an hour ago. They are filling up so they won't have to worry when we are gone."

"You already hunted?"

"Yes, ma'am. All day." It's then that I notice how bright and amber his eyes are.

"How lovely," I say. We get to the house, and we head inside. Jasper leaves my luggage in the living room and takes me upstairs.

"Can I sleep in one of your hoodies, so I don't get cold?" I innocently ask. I just want to wear it to smell his beautiful scent. It feels like I am fully wrapped up by him.

"Of course." He grabs a big black hoodie and gives it to me. I go into the bathroom and get ready for bed. It's only seven P.M., so I can get some good rest tonight. I brush my teeth and use the bathroom. I take off my leggings and shirt when I'm done with that. Do I need to wear my bra? I decide not to because it's uncomfortable. I put on a pair of shorts and threw on his hoodie. I take my hair out of its braid and let my now very wavy fall over my shoulders. I take off my makeup, stand there, and look at myself in the mirror for a moment. His hoodie goes down to the middle of my thigh.

I walk out of the bathroom and back into his room. He is sitting on his couch reading a book. I stand and lean against the door frame and watch him for a moment. He looks up from his book, and his eyes grow wide. His eyes roam up and down my body. It's quick, but I notice it. I smirk to myself and smile at him.

"W-What are you doing?" He shifts uncomfortably.

"Watching you." I move away from the door and towards him. He stands up and walks toward me. Before he can say anything, I grab his face and pull him down to kiss me. We stand there kissing for a few minutes until I pull away. "I would love to keep kissing you more than anything, but I'm exhausted."

"Of course. We have all the time in the world." He takes my hand and guides me to his bed. I lay down under the covers, and he turned his lights off. He gets into the bed next to me and wraps his arm around me. This has become the norm among us. Sometimes he will sneak into my room and sleep with me at night. All we do is sleep. Nothing else. He respects me enough not to push it further until I am ready.

He kisses the top of my head, and I drift off to sleep slowly.