New Moon: Chapter Fifty-Three

Alice drove like a maniac to the airport. I was lowkey surprised no one attempted to pull her over. We did have a slight delay at the check-in desk. They said they had no more seats available on the plane, but with the power of persuasion (thanks to moi) and a good amount of money (thanks to Alice), we were able to get four first-class seats on the plane that was taking off in less than 20 minutes. I can take a deep breath once the plane lifts off the ground. Tati and Alice are talking softly behind us while Bella and I are sitting in silence, both comfortable and uncomfortable silence.

"Hey, Netta?" Bella asks. I open my eyes and look at her.

"Yes?"

"Are your abilities back?" When I don't respond, she adds, "I'm asking because it looked like you had a vision at the same time as Alice."

"No. They are not back."

"But, you gasped at the same time as her."

"I gasped because she gasped. The noise caught me off guard."

"Netta, please. Be honest."

"Bella. Leave it alone." I snap. "Please," I add softly. If there is a big chance that we could be coming face-to-face with the Volturi, then no one needs to know about my powers right now. I am the perfect example of someone that they would try to get on their side in an instant. At least, that's what I remember from a past conversation with the Cullens. I could potentially be walking into a trap, into a place from where I may never leave. Don't worry though, I have a plan that may just work if I can pull it off.

Bella falls asleep and I can finally relax before this plane ride is over. I take this opportunity to soak in all the thoughts and emotions of those surrounding me. When I was human, I couldn't conceptualize the idea that each person in the world has their own life, their own problems, their own dreams. Now, with my heightened powers, I can read as many minds and feel as many emotions at one time. Most times, it is an incredible feeling. It keeps me connected with my old human self.

I'm playing all the different ways my plan can go. I haven't done something like this of this magnitude yet. My mind-reading power has transformed into so much more. This includes mind manipulation as well. It is wild. I can add, subtract, and hide memories and thoughts. So if we do come face-to-face with the Volturi, I will be hiding/changing everyone's memories and thoughts that relate to my powers. This will give the Volturi the impression that I am just an average vampire. I am praying to whoever is up above that this works.

While I am in thought, I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn and see that it is Alice.

"Hey Netta, can we talk?" She asks, sounding very nervous. I look up at her and just stare. I am still very upset with her, and the rest of them.

"Sure." I stand up and Tati stands up and sits in my seat without even being asked to. She squeezes my hand as a gesture of comfort. I sit in her seat and Alice sits in hers.

"What do you want to talk about?" I ask.

"I am so sorry we left." She declares. All I do is roll my eyes.

"Sure you are."

"I truly am. Edward did his best to convince us it was for the best. Both you and Bella were hurt. Because of us. That plus his words was all the convincing we needed. We love both of you so much, that the thought of putting you both through the pain of getting hurt again was too much."

"But the thing is you, you did hurt us. You don't know what it was like after you guys left. Our parents almost had to commit the both of us. We couldn't cope. I woke up in the hospital after the party to be told by Bella that you all had left. At least Edward had some kind of decency to say goodbye, even though the way he said it was fucked up. Jasper didn't give me a goodbye. You didn't give me a goodbye. None of you did. I thought I was part of the family. I loved you all like you were my family, but my love wasn't reciprocated. I went through recovery, by myself. I didn't let anyone touch me for a long time, not even my family. My bed was where I stayed for months after recovery. Lyv had to pull me out of bed finally and get me to my senses. She's doing just fine, by the way."

She looked down at her lap when I said that. "I was going to ask about her."

"No goodbye to her either. Classy."

"Like I said, we thought we were doing what would be the least painful."

"Well, it ended up being the most painful." I glare at her. It feels good to go off on a Cullen. They fucked us up big time. "Luckily, Lyv bounces back quickly. She wasn't as emotionally involved in your family as Bella and I were. She has a new girlfriend, who treats her well and communicates when things need to be talked out." Alice's face drops even more and I can feel her pain. She's in actual pain right now. "You still love her, don't you?"

"I never stopped, Netta. I was furious with Edward, and later Jasper, for convincing us to leave you three behind. I'm still as in love with Lyvia as I was when I was with her. My feelings haven't stopped. I did my best not to look for her future while we were away. I didn't want to spy on her. I tried to let go. When you're in love like Jasper, Edward, and I were, it is very hard to even think about letting go."

"Jasper?"

"Yes, Netta. Jasper. He hasn't stopped loving you. For even a second. He doesn't leave his room except to eat, and that's once every month or two. He just mopes around. I can feel and see his pain, and that's not even an ability I have." She looks at my skeptical look. "He does, Netta."

"Like you said, it's not an ability you have. So you don't know what you're talking about. He doesn't love me. If he loved me the way he said he did, nothing in this world could've taken him from me." She starts to say something else when I stand up. "I'm done with this conversation." I walk to the bathroom and lock myself in there. Silent tears fall down my face as I stare at my reflection in the mirror. It's going to take a whole lot more than just some words to try and convince me that he truly loved me after this.